• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Music

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here are some songs about actual disasters, I'm sure a lot of you may have heard these already, but I digress. Interesting from the perspective that Gordon Lightfoot had sailed the Great Lakes multiple times himself and remains in contact with many of the Edmund Fitzgerald victims' relatives, and Tornado '87 is inspired by Nils Edenloff's own experience surviving the Edmonton tornado in 1987. I guess I should also mention that a song about a tornado is a perfect fit for this site?
The Rural Alberta Advantage has another song entitled "Beacon Hill" about the 2016 Fort McMurray wildfire (the community of Beacon Hill is a part of Fort McMurray)

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Gordon Lightfoot is one of Canada's true treasures. Maybe the US equivalent would be John Prine, whose first hit "Sam Stone" was about a different kind of disaster

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Maybe not the best time to post a Russian band, but here's something from 2015 I like

Phil

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Maybe not the best time to post a Russian band, but here's something from 2015 I like

Phil

I'm not gonna get into the politics and all that, but in short, is it foolish to say that not every single person and/or thing from Russia is an agent of Putin?

Kombinaciya is a Russian band I like, and the band is also very interesting from a historical standpoint; if it weren't for Gorbachev's reforms there's NO WAY a band that released songs such as "American Boy" would have come into existence before the end of the Soviet era.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Came up with this today, note that this is pretty much just a stupid joke, but maybe someone else will find it funny?

Part I: The Music Worship Risk Index
MRGL - Bands/singers that have released a couple songs you like, but you don't think about them any further.
SLGT - You like some of their songs, perhaps they released a good album, but you are unlikely to start buying their merch any time soon.
ENH - You like several of their songs. Merchandise purchases are not immediately likely, but you have thought about it at some point so it cannot be ruled out either.
MDT - You like several of their songs. You may own one or more of their CD's already, and your wallet is panicking.
HIGH - Bands/singers that you think are some of the greatest things in existence. You like almost all, if not all of their songs. You probably own several of their albums/CD's already. Merchandise purchases are either inevitable or you already buy their t-shirts, with the walls of your bedroom covered in music posters.

Part II: The Music Crappiness Severity Index
MRGL - Could be described as bands/singers that are debatably bad, or that aren't inherently bad but don't fit the style of music you enjoy listening to. You may like one or two of their songs, or really tried to like their music but it never clicked.
SLGT - Bands/singers that are pretty bad, but not the worst thing in the world. May be crappy music that holds nostalgic value, for example.
ENH - Straight up bad music, but where you can still survive without your ears bleeding when you hear their songs... sometimes.
MDT - Terrible songs with few to no redeeming qualities. Don't even think about them.
HIGH - The absolute worst of the worst; songs that could kill a person, music that barely qualifies as music, and just generally complete BS that is far worse than listening to nails on a chalkboard.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
On the MWI scale, I have bands&music all over the scale, and like convective risks the highest ratings are uncommon. Though I grew up in the album age I've always been a singles fan- and not necessarily the singles getting airplay. Often I like "B" sides better and album cuts that never made it even that far. Sometimes I like one album but no others. If I could afford it I'd support a few bands through merch and music purchases but I'm nobody's billboard.

On the MCS scale, well when they're that bad I ignore them completely. I'd rather hear my own singing than listen to a bad song or a bad band.

A deceased friend was a music aficionado. When someone asked "What kind of music do you like?" his answer was always "Music I like." I can identify with that.

Phil

Reaction score
Personally I would put Nickelback in the SLGT or ENH category of the crappiness scale. They're pretty bad, not gonna lie, but I have heard worse!

The origin of their band name is pretty stupid, though:

To quote:
"Lead singer Chad Kroeger was having trouble coming up with a name, and so approached his brother, who worked at a Starbucks. Coffee was $1.95, which meant every customer who paid two bucks got-waiiiit for it-a nickel back. (It was either that or We're Sorry About the Homeless Man Shooting Up in the Bathroom.")

LMAO

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Everyone has heard "In a gadda davita" by the old metal band Iron Butterfly, but you may not know where the name came from. They were all sitting around dropping acid and one asked the other where his head was at. He meant to say "In the Garden of Eden" but being wasted it didn't come out that way :p

Phil

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think it's no secret by now that I'm a pretty big Elvis fan, and I've probably listened to WAY too many of his concerts. There are many contemporary reviews of these concerts that were published in newspapers at the time, and I usually take those with a grain of salt. Obviously there's the subjectivity of it all, but many of these reviews peddle what is (in my opinion) the major misconception that Elvis slurred through all of his performances post-1973 or so. But Ken Williams' review of Elvis' June 25, 1977 Cincinnati performance is something I couldn't ignore.

If this qualifies as 'Elvis constantly mumbling' and a "lifeless" performance, then Nickelback is the greatest band of all time.

Here's the full concert for anyone who has the time to listen to it:

With that said, there's no denying that Elvis' health was well on the downslope by this point, and I honestly think Ken had good faith in that part of his review, but as far as the quality of the performance itself goes it couldn't be further from the truth.

Reaction score
I think it's no secret by now that I'm a pretty big Elvis fan, and I've probably listened to WAY too many of his concerts. There are many contemporary reviews of these concerts that were published in newspapers at the time, and I usually take those with a grain of salt. Obviously there's the subjectivity of it all, but many of these reviews peddle what is (in my opinion) the major misconception that Elvis slurred through all of his performances post-1973 or so. But Ken Williams' review of Elvis' June 25, 1977 Cincinnati performance is something I couldn't ignore.

If this qualifies as 'Elvis constantly mumbling' and a "lifeless" performance, then Nickelback is the greatest band of all time.

Here's the full concert for anyone who has the time to listen to it:

With that said, there's no denying that Elvis' health was well on the downslope by this point, and I honestly think Ken had good faith in that part of his review, but as far as the quality of the performance itself goes it couldn't be further from the truth.

I think it was his Omaha show on June 19 that is frequently derided as being terrible.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think it was his Omaha show on June 19 that is frequently derided as being terrible.
Omaha 1977 is definitely his worst filmed performance, but it's not his worst overall. As far as what his worst overall performance is, I have to give it to Houston '76 hands down:

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I was never a fan of Elvis, too mainstream for me ;) Some of his early "rockabilly"was OK, and having lived in the era his song "In The Ghetto" is very moving. I'm one of the unfortunate who live with Clinical Depression. Luckily I can manage without meds thanks to a superb Therapist who I saw weekly for two years; Sandy taught me what to lookout for and how to deal with it when it happens, but it's always a rough time till the episode fades away. Currently in the middle of another deep episode I figured I'd share my theme song with you...

Killer custom guitar :cool:

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Just found this:

He played with Pentagram once. Kind of the old-school metal sound I like.

Back