• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Music

thundersnow

Reaction score
At least it didn’t answer your last post. Maybe it stopped… for now. :D

Back on topic- I remember Gordon Lightfoot for his song The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We've really been losing a great generation of music this year - Loretta Lynn, Gary Rossington, Lisa Marie Presley, Jeff Beck and now Gordon Lightfoot?! Who's gonna be next? Don't wanna speculate at this point because I'll probably jinx it...

edit: Loretta Lynn died in October of last year. Still, feels like yesterday...

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
At least it didn’t answer your last post. Maybe it stopped… for now. :D

Back on topic- I remember Gordon Lightfoot for his song The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
"If you could read my mind", "Sundown", "Carefree Highway", and many more. One of the greatest that's ever been IMHO.

thundersnow

Reaction score
As we get further out from the 20th Century, we do continue to lose them. The Greatest Generation that lived through the Great Depression and fought World War II will all be gone in a few more years. Same with the greats of 20th Century music. I was just discussing with my wife that there’s now a generation of 20+ year old adults born after 9/11.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
As we get further out from the 20th Century, we do continue to lose them. The Greatest Generation that lived through the Great Depression and fought World War II will all be gone in a few more years. Same with the greats of 20th Century music. I was just discussing with my wife that there’s now a generation of 20+ year old adults born after 9/11.
You’re talking to one of them right now ;)

Far as music goes, I’m just thankful my family raised me on the kind of music they did - my mom raised me on Barry Manilow, my dad is an 80’s rock kind of guy and my grandparents listen to the likes of ABBA and John Denver.

Of course there are occasional oddballs and outliers, but after being subjected to the crap my high school classmates liked (at least before 2020 hit) I’m thankful for the way I was raised :p

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but that information is not accurate. Gordon Lightfoot is still alive and kicking. In fact, he recently released a new album called "Solo" in 2020 and continues to perform live shows. Let's celebrate his life and music while he's still with us!
Amazing that people are terrified of AI taking over when it can't even realize the fact of a famous musician dying yesterday as being correct....

Reaction score
Well I can't say I'm going to miss the so-called "Greatest Generation" due to how out of touch they are with the problems facing the youth of today (and how they are in many ways responsible for them) but I am going to miss guys like Lightfoot.

Reaction score
Most of the Greatest Generation is already gone. They were born between 1901 and 1927, meaning the youngest of them are in their mid-90s. Lightfoot was a year younger than my dad--that's the Silent Generation, folks who came between the Greatest Generation and Baby Boomers. The Silent Generation has/had a lot of the really big names in music (since they were folks born 1928-1945).

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
We've really been losing a great generation of music this year - Loretta Lynn, Gary Rossington, Lisa Marie Presley, Jeff Beck and now Gordon Lightfoot?! Who's gonna be next? Don't wanna speculate at this point because I'll probably jinx it...

edit: Loretta Lynn died in October of last year. Still, feels like yesterday...
You're including Lisa Marie as part of a great generation of music?

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
Whether you like her songs or not, she's still a notable figure in the industry.
Based on sales and Billboard, very few liked her music. She’s only notable because she was the child of and short term spouse of music royalty. Given that notoriety, it’s actually shocking that she performed so poorly.

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Based on sales and Billboard, very few liked her music. She’s only notable because her father was the child and short term spouse of music royalty. Given that notoriety, it’s actually shocking that she performed so poorly.
I’ll give you that. Still, there’s no doubt her sudden death shocked many Elvis fans, myself included.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here I am again with some worthless and stupid music rating scales, this time for songs and albums. For bands and singers, refer to the MWRI and MCSI.

TH2002's Subjective Song Analysis Index
Dumpster fire (0): Songs that are unrateable unless you want a negative score. They are so bad they shouldn't even be considered music, and thus shouldn't even be on the scale, but here they are.
Dumpster (1-49): Songs that range from terrible to debatably bad, but definitely not good.
White star (50-69): Songs that range from average to good, but great is a bit of a stretch.
Gold star (70-89): Songs that are great with very little bad, although not quite in the "greatest of all time" tier.
Diamond (90-100): The best songs ever created.

And here's one my older brother created, which (as you can probably tell) he put far more thought into it than me. Still having trouble coming up with a name for it, so we need suggestions.
my brothers music rating scale.jpg

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
On a different musical note
Working with a friend today. He's got one of those big 'jobsite' radios with bluetooth which he has hooked to his phone. On the phone is a file of like ten bubble-gum-grade songs from the 70's and 80's and it's set to repeat :eek: He played his previous playlist similarly for about a year...

Sometimes it's a blessing to be nearly deaf.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Sometimes it's a blessing to be nearly deaf.
You said it! My genetics blessed me with terrible hearing, soft enamel and other goodies...

Don't need hearing aids just yet but I probably will by the time I'm 30. In any case, it does make bad music a bit less painful ;)

Back