• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX March 30th- April 1st 2023 (South, Southeast, Ohio Valley, Upper Midwest)

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Biggest event since...Easter 2020?
15th December 2021 had 120 tornadoes, so in terms of numbers biggest event since then - but this outbreak was in my opinion more impactful and more significant - we have had at least 11 intense (EF3+) tornadoes on Friday as opposed to 0 on 15th December 2021.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Vilonia, mayflower and soso(bassfield).. maybe would probably rate F5 in the previous rating lol
To be honest most high-end EF4s nowadays would all have probably been F5s. There is now way to be sure exactly as they didn't occur at the time but that is my strong hunch. At least to me, I don't view EF5s and F5s in the same way given how much has changed.

ColdFront

Reaction score
so they seemingly set the bar for EF5 ratings to Moore? so we turned them into an unicorn rating?
I would check out the Enhanced Fujita scale discussion thread. It will have all the info you need on the issues and the tragedy of Vilonia

Have you ever heard the tragedy of John Robinson the wise? Hmm, thought not, it’s not a story Tim Marshall would tell you. It’s a weather community legend.(I’m hoping at least one of you gets this Star Wars reference)

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
Wow, not a single tornado from Mississippi and eastern Arkansa have been rated. Considering how many TDS occurred there, wouldn’t be surprised to see many more ef2-3 tornadoes than we already have.
MEG is just really dragging their feet with the surveys this time for some reason. I hope they are able to do something before cleanup prevents them from being able to conduct an even semi-accurate survey.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
MEG is just really dragging their feet with the surveys this time for some reason. I hope they are able to do something before cleanup prevents them from being able to conduct an even semi-accurate survey.
I got the following response from Kevin Terry (Memphis Weather) on another forum since he's been providing updates on MEG's progress with this event.
But in case it was...I don't have a lot specific insight into the process MEG is in right now, other than they have quite a bit on their plate. I do know BMX and JAN has been helping them on surveys so MEG could concentrate on the three high end tornadoes, which at least as of yesterday they were still in early stages and haven't even been able to look at huge swaths of the probable path lengths of these, moreso concentrating on where the media coverage and biggest interest is in Wynne, Covington, and McNairy County.

I have no doubt they are scrutinizing all three of those in case the EF-3 needs to go higher, from what I've seen IF there is one candidate (and this is my own personal opinion based on nothing outside of that) it definitely would be McNairy. I'm sure they will be looking at the various drone video and might even do their own aerial survey, especially for areas where road access is difficult. That area near the MS River where the debris ball really ramped up crossing into Tipton County is nearly 100% inaccessible, it's largely only forest and water. So that will likely be the toughest to figure out.

My guess is it may be the end of this week before there is a more complete scope of survey results released.

Back