• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX March 30-31, 2020 Severe Threat

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Madison, FL taking a hit from a confirmed tornado

xJownage

Reaction score
7c2c34dd5922cb76189c1fd803f7795e.jpg

Definitely two confirmed tornadoes about 30 miles east of Tallahassee along I-10. The one to the southwest was stronger in earlier scans. These embedded supercells produced tornadoes but now look to be more firmly entrenched in the line of storms.

Madison tornado looked to weaken significantly prior to moving into town, and there was no serious kickup of debris from it either. Hopefully they dodged the bullet here.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Sooo last minute strong tornado inmediately becoming waterspout

Screenshot_20200331-183150.png

xJownage

Reaction score
3ee647951b29fbe6974385e7078b8f02.jpg

The sequence of events with this tornado were very interesting. The supercell was embedded in the squall line for two hours with a large, broad rotation that entire time. As it finally came into southern Jacksonville, it started occluding. The NWS then decided to pull the trigger on the Tornado warning (?) and then got rid of it after 10-15 minutes. Of course, nobody paid attention to the fact that the storm was cycling rapidly and becoming more discrete. This storm then dropped a tornado with zero warning right on the coast.

I live just a few short miles from this location and happen to know there's a pretty large subdivision in the area this tornado first developed. Looks like It developed just east of the subdivision, however hit many homes in that area along A1A which parallels the beach. A very unfortunate scenario that was HORRIBLY mishandled by the NWS, which to be fair very rarely sees actual supercells around here.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A watched Dixie never tornado's, I guess. What a wild sequence of events.

With a little more backing (some nearly WSW surface vectors out there according to obs, I know veered surface winds don't entirely preclude Dixie tornadoes but still can't hurt) I can imagine we would've been dealing with a few more nasty cells like that.

xJownage

Reaction score
A watched Dixie never tornado's, I guess. What a wild sequence of events.

With a little more backing (some nearly WSW surface vectors out there according to obs, I know veered surface winds don't entirely preclude Dixie tornadoes but still can't hurt) I can imagine we would've been dealing with a few more nasty cells like that.
We're lucky more of these cells didn't stay discrete through N central FL, as we could've got some cyclical supercells if that was the case. Not quite sure why this cell suddenly cleared out of the embedded line and became more isolated, but ironic that as soon as that happened, it cycled and put down a tornado.

Oh, and the Jax NWS reported the very well radar supported tornado damage as wind damage for right now.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah it seemed like we could have honestly had another 3/3/19 with a more favorable cell mode, was afraid those isolated cells in SW GA were gonna start dropping when low level shear increased a little but for the most part got off without too much destruction. Probably a good thing everything clustered.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Preliminary high EF2 (130) for Eufaula. Actually a little higher than I expected but I've barely seen any damage photos beyond that one aerial shot

Kory

Reaction score
Preliminary high EF2 (130) for Eufaula. Actually a little higher than I expected but I've barely seen any damage photos beyond that one aerial shot
Brett Adair’s Facebook has several pictures of homes (look well built) with most of the roof gone.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Well that makes sense then. Definitely an impressive tornado visually and otherwise for the conditions present.

Back