• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

M8.2 Alaskan Quake

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Event page

The tsunami from this are less than 1 foot thus far, and only some advisories are in effect now. The Anchorage Daily News reports no damage or injuries thus far.

E7c2xPAVUAQMHrg.jpeg

Here's an expert's inside view -- read the whole thread. The USGS aftershock forecast is on the event page.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Woke up to this alert and feared the worst. Glad to hear things are good so far.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
I am glad it wasn't any worse than it was. These are always scary.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Agreed! :)

What bothers me, though, is that it occurred near the epicenter of that last biggie, an M7.7, I think. The USGS aftershock forecast for this 8.2 is 3% or less for something bigger in the near future, and no one credible that I`ve read is predicting anything, but I do wonder if these might turn out over the longer -- but still human relevant -- term to be foreshocks of something more along the lines of 1964.

That's inevitable eventually, of course. This part of the Aleutian Trench has been relatively quiet for a while, they say, meaning lots of energy is still stored. Just wish there was a better way to forecast those Really Big Ones. If there is time, will try to read and digest the USGS paper linked in that tweet.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
That's where the science comes in, I guess: an understanding of the underlying geology and stress fields, which must be very difficult in this complex region of terranes (scroll down to southern Alaska), subduction, volcanism, and so forth. That's probably what the models and experienced seismologists decided it was.

I often wonder how they can tell sometimes, and before the main event, whether big quakes are foreshocks on the next one coming or aftershocks of a prior big one. There's an ongoing situation in Japan that's problematical this way. Can't find the reference right now but will keep looking.

PS: This is what I mean by stress field. Most of the paper is over my head, but it tells me why the Tokyo region is rocking right now. The foreshock/aftershock reference I'm thinking of, though, concerns an area of Japan that's farther north.

Last edited:

gangstonc

Reaction score
That's where the science comes in, I guess: an understanding of the underlying geology and stress fields, which must be very difficult in this complex region of terranes (scroll down to southern Alaska), subduction, volcanism, and so forth. That's probably what the models and experienced seismologists decided it was.

I often wonder how they can tell sometimes, and before the main event, whether big quakes are foreshocks on the next one coming or aftershocks of a prior big one. There's an ongoing situation in Japan that's problematical this way. Can't find the reference right now but will keep looking.

PS: This is what I mean by stress field. Most of the paper is over my head, but it tells me why the Tokyo region is rocking right now. The foreshock/aftershock reference I'm thinking of, though, concerns an area of Japan that's farther north.
Thank you very much. As an aside, I got to see the Kīlauea eruption in person last week!

Back