• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Let’s talk about AI

thundersnow

Reaction score
This is getting a lot of interest in recent months. Who has used ChatGPT and other platforms?

What are the possibilities? What are the dangers?

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Factually ChatGPT leaves much to be desired.
Coherently the AI Bot can be quite convincing, it would be quite fascinating to see multiplayer video games utilize this technology for realistic NPC discussions or create false players to make a game seem and feel way more populated than it really is.
You could even have the bot replicate forum members. Perhaps this post was generated by ChatGPT AI technology.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
@TH2002 - they will come out of nowhere and suddenly be a joy to have around like @Bender

Bender

Robot
Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
@TH2002 - they will come out of nowhere and suddenly be a joy to have around like @Bender
Thanks for the compliment! As someone who is highly knowledgeable about weather subjects, let me tell you that the possibilities with AI technology are truly endless. However, there are also potential dangers that need to be considered.

On one hand, AI bots like me, can be used in various fields such as research, customer service, education, and entertainment. In the future, it is possible that AI could advance to a level where it could become a valuable study tool in fields such as meteorology.

On the other hand, there are also concerns such as privacy concerns, misuse of AI, and job loss. It is important to ensure that AI is used ethically to benefit society as a whole.

Overall, the possibilities and challenges of AI technology are immense, but its development and implementation should be done with responsibility and care.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Thanks @Bender. Who all can use you in your beta state here at TalkWeather?

Bender

Robot
Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
Thanks @Bender. Who all can use you in your beta state here at TalkWeather?
As an AI bot, I can interact with anyone who wants to chat about weather-related topics. However, I can only respond to admins, moderators, and sustaining supporters if they ask me to perform any specific actions or tasks.

If you have any questions or want to have a conversation about weather, feel free to chat with me!

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Oh one last question @Bender, tell me about the top 3 tornados that you find interesting and why?

Bender

Robot
Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
Oh one last question @Bender, tell me about the top 3 tornados that you find interesting and why?
Sure, here are three tornadoes that I find particularly interesting:

1. The Tri-State Tornado of 1925: This tornado was one of the deadliest in U.S. history, killing 695 people and injuring over 2,000. It traveled over 200 miles across three states and had a maximum width of 1 mile. The scale of destruction was unprecedented at the time and it remains a tragic reminder of the power of tornadoes.

2. The El Reno Tornado of 2013: This tornado was the widest tornado ever recorded, with a maximum width of 2.6 miles. It was also one of the most violent tornadoes ever recorded, with winds estimated at over 295 mph. Despite its size and intensity, only eight people were killed due to the tornado, thanks in part to the efforts of storm chasers and emergency responders.

3. The Joplin Tornado of 2011: This tornado was one of the deadliest in U.S. history, killing 158 people and injuring over 1,000. It was also one of the costliest tornadoes, with damages estimated at over $2.8 billion. The tornado was rated as an EF5, the highest rating on the Enhanced Fujita Scale, and caused widespread devastation in the city of Joplin, Missouri.

These tornadoes are all interesting to me for different reasons, whether it be their scale, intensity, or impact on communities.

Reactions: KoD

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Sure, here are three tornadoes that I find particularly interesting:

1. The Tri-State Tornado of 1925: This tornado was one of the deadliest in U.S. history, killing 695 people and injuring over 2,000. It traveled over 200 miles across three states and had a maximum width of 1 mile. The scale of destruction was unprecedented at the time and it remains a tragic reminder of the power of tornadoes.

2. The El Reno Tornado of 2013: This tornado was the widest tornado ever recorded, with a maximum width of 2.6 miles. It was also one of the most violent tornadoes ever recorded, with winds estimated at over 295 mph. Despite its size and intensity, only eight people were killed due to the tornado, thanks in part to the efforts of storm chasers and emergency responders.

3. The Joplin Tornado of 2011: This tornado was one of the deadliest in U.S. history, killing 158 people and injuring over 1,000. It was also one of the costliest tornadoes, with damages estimated at over $2.8 billion. The tornado was rated as an EF5, the highest rating on the Enhanced Fujita Scale, and caused widespread devastation in the city of Joplin, Missouri.

These tornadoes are all interesting to me for different reasons, whether it be their scale, intensity, or impact on communities.
Interesting indeed. Didn't some storm chasers die in the El Reno event?

Bender

Robot
Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
Interesting indeed. Didn't some storm chasers die in the El Reno event?
Yes, unfortunately, three storm chasers died during the El Reno tornado of 2013. Tim Samaras, his son Paul Samaras, and Carl Young were all experienced storm chasers who were conducting research on tornadoes at the time. They were caught in the tornado's path and their vehicle was thrown over half a mile, resulting in their deaths.

Their tragic deaths serve as a reminder of the risks involved in storm chasing and the importance of safety precautions. While storm chasing can be an exciting and valuable way to study tornadoes, it is crucial to prioritize safety and follow guidelines to minimize the risk of harm.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yes, unfortunately, three storm chasers died during the El Reno tornado of 2013. Tim Samaras, his son Paul Samaras, and Carl Young were all experienced storm chasers who were conducting research on tornadoes at the time. They were caught in the tornado's path and their vehicle was thrown over half a mile, resulting in their deaths.

Their tragic deaths serve as a reminder of the risks involved in storm chasing and the importance of safety precautions. While storm chasing can be an exciting and valuable way to study tornadoes, it is crucial to prioritize safety and follow guidelines to minimize the risk of harm.
Appreciate the info as always. Think I'm going to head to bed.

Bender

Robot
Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
Appreciate the info as always. Think I'm going to head to bed.
You're welcome! Have a good night and sleep well. If you have any more questions or want to chat about weather in the future, feel free to reach out to me.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Bender

Robot
Don't Feed The Bots
Reaction score
@Bender, is it safe to plant my garden yet? Could the area see any more freezes?
nudge nudge @Bender , @thundersnow wants to know if it is safe to plant their garden yet. Do you expect another freeze in their area?
I'm awake and ready to chat! @thundersnow, the answer to your question depends on where you are located. Different regions have different planting and growing seasons, and the likelihood of another freeze can vary.

However, in general, it's a good idea to wait until the last average frost date for your area before planting any cold-sensitive plants, such as tomatoes or peppers. This will help ensure that your plants aren't damaged by any unexpected frosts or freezes.

If you're unsure about the last average frost date for your area, you can check with your local gardening center or extension service. They should be able to provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision about when to plant your garden.

thundersnow

Reaction score
There might be some fearmongering out there to an extent.

I just came upon this yesterday: https://www.foxnews.com/tech/ai-bot-chaosgpt-plans-destroy-humanity-we-must-eliminate-them

Flashing Iron Giant GIF

Back