• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Las Vegas Shooting

Evan

Reaction score
Absolutely amazing to watch a GOP that couldn't keep their number 1 campaign promise get the ball rolling on gun CONFISCATION so quickly. And they were assisted by the traitors in the NRA.

As I said previously, it isn't about bump fire stocks. They are stupid. It's that they've been used in one crime in 7 years. If we ban things with that logic then wave goodbye to magazines over 5rds and then semi-automatic firearms.

Before the NRA even announced that they've suddenly decided to abandon a couple of decades worth of policy, Nancy Pelosi had this to say about a proposed bill to ban bump stocks:

When asked whether the bill might represent a slippery slope toward other gun restrictions, Pelosi said, “So what? . . . I certainly hope so.”

We all know that DC and the Democrats always just stop with one new regulation and then leave things alone, right? Well there's Pelosi telling you what her goal is.

Of course Trump is MIA because it doesn't involve a feud with someone that didn't sufficiently kiss his backside. Not like he didn't support gun control back in 2012, either. Oh, wait, he did. But I'm assured he's a Conservative.

I want to reduce gun deaths. By a significant amount. And we can do that, but it will require a cultural and societal shift. Since the mid 80's the number of guns in America doubled but our homicide rate dropped sharply. There are policies that can work. We can also do more as it relates to suicide prevention as that's the number 1 cause of firearm deaths.

Mass shootings are trickier. And banning bump stocks won't have a measurable impact on deaths in those massacres. Look at the number of mass shootings in the past 7 years. We can only argue that one would have been impacted. And with the level of planning and detail that this psychopath put into his attack, I have no doubt he'd have made his own lighting link or used one of the other numerous methods for bump firing or increased rounds per minute. And as the police have pointed out, several of his rifles were jammed. A lighter, faster trigger would have avoided jamming his weapon, and he could have still averaged a rate of fire very similar to what he did with bump firing. Especially considering the numerous interludes during his 10 minutes of shooting in which it seems like his weapon jammed and he had to switch to a new one.

People don't want to believe that, but he likely would have achieved the same or potentially higher number of casualties and rounds expended. With someone this cunning, intelligent, and dedicated, nothing short of full gun confiscation would have been likely to stop him. Unless we change our methods.

Evan

Reaction score
To add on/respond to Evans posts, it's atypical to see deranged behaviour like this come about in somebody in their 50s/60s. Normally homicidal ideation presents with bipolar/schizophrenic/schizo affective disorders in their 20s and many of them seek hospitalization for these thoughts when they get too severe. Unfortunately if the person has suicidal and/or homicidal ideation and there's a concurrent drug abuse issue (which is a very common combination) they are almost always rejected from getting inpatient assistance and will be discharged from the hospital and referred to expensive outpatient behavioral health facilities - which usually they will not follow up with. I've had only a couple middle aged patients who present with new onset homicidal ideation, out of hundreds of behavioral health patients. A few had homicidal/suicidal thoughts that had been recessed for decades then had spontaneous reoccurrence after psychological stress or trauma.. death of a mother, father, sister or brother are the most common. It's entirely possible this shooter had a similar occurrence, either a resumption of homicidal thoughts or late-onset.. and for whatever reasons never became too psychotic to become suspicious and never reached out for help... or did and was rejected because the psychiatrist refused to admit due to drugs or because the behavioral health environment requires one to relinquish control over their environment and decision making, something a grandiose bipolar/schizophrenic cannot handle.

This is almost exactly what occurred with the Unabomber. He was a Paranoid Schizophrenic although it was of the episodic variety do he had interludes in which his delusional thinking persisted, but not like a full blown schizophrenic.

Back