• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX January 11, 2020 Severe Weather Reports and Nowcasts

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This is from Dr. John York’s office in Arab, AL. Amazing video for sure. Pretty sure this is the cell that caused damage in Joppa, AL that was rated a EF-1. I’ll have to go back and map out HUN’s survey findings.

By the way Dr. York is great dentist if you ever find yourself in Arab and in need of dental work :)

Last edited:

Jacob

Reaction score
The east AL February Derecho of 2008 comes to mind. Not as wide an area, but 80-100mph winds and a few tornadoes with one being an EF3 in GA. That one come out of no where.

Edit: Still to this day, possibly the most freaked out I’ve been in a weather event. Didn’t help much to awake to the worst lightning I’ve ever seen before they sent the message to do a nighttime thunderstorm warning siren.

I don't have any recollection of this event for some reason. I was living in Mobile at this time and it was early morning hours, but I still think it'd ring a bell. Strange.

A similar event was one of the stronger storms I remember witnessing, on February 16, 2001. Bham Airport recorded an official gust of 68, and I think there was an unofficial report of 99 MPH at Legion Field that day. My parents moved to their house in Trussville in 1992, and to this day this storm produced the longest power outage they/I've experienced there. https://www.weather.gov/bmx/event_02162001

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This is from Dr. John York’s office in Arab, AL. Amazing video for sure. Pretty sure this is the cell that caused damage in Joppa, AL that was rated a EF-1. I’ll have to go back and map out HUN’s survey findings.

By the way Dr. York is great dentistIf you ever need work and are close to Arab.

Cool video of a tornado there. Thank you for sharing.

skelly

Reaction score
I don't have any recollection of this event for some reason. I was living in Mobile at this time and it was early morning hours, but I still think it'd ring a bell. Strange.

A similar event was one of the stronger storms I remember witnessing, on February 16, 2001. Bham Airport recorded an official gust of 68, and I think there was an unofficial report of 99 MPH at Legion Field that day. My parents moved to their house in Trussville in 1992, and to this day this storm produced the longest power outage they/I've experienced there. https://www.weather.gov/bmx/event_02162001
I remember that storm and Richrd Jacks referred to it coming into this past weekends event.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I was curious about the paths of the tornadoes in N. Alabama so I made a quick Google map. Thought I would share in case anyone else wanted to view it.

Back