• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Historic tornado videos missing from youtube/the internet?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
At 4:05 or so at the bottom right you can see the formation and dissolution of a horizontal vortex, I've seen a screenshot of it in Shawn's article on Jarrell but not the whole cycle of it, reminds me a lot of Bridge Creek-Moore's, incredible.
Also, you might not wanna post the video here as I don't want this thread to get taken down by copyright strikes.
I highly doubt the thread would get taken down. They would just pull the video from YouTube.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Does anyone else on this thread use DuckDuckGo? Aside from being a privacy friendly alternative to Google, it seems to do a pretty darn good job at digging up obsure tornado videos from YouTube and all around the web.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Another video I've been trying to find for years is the full color footage of the 1975 Omaha tornao as it was going through the city in the Crossroads area. Some of the footage can be seen here, but I remember in other parts of the footage power flashes can be seen.

AngelAndHisWx

Reaction score
A member of the Lloyd family posted the full chase video of the Oakfield, WI F5. Unfortunately the video isn’t in great quality. Not in the whole “it came from a VHS tape so it isn’t good anyways” way, I mean the bitrate is very crummy, like a video that’s been uploaded and reuploaded many times:

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There’s another home video from Moore ‘99 that is featured in several documentaries, which is missing. It shows the tornado tearing through a neighborhood from close range from the perspective of someone’s backyard.

Perhaps the one I’ve tried to find most is the one showing the evolution of the Jarrell tornado at peak intensity from rather close range. There are bits and pieces of the footage in places, but never the whole video. It was, by far, the best footage of the tornado I’ve seen. Have posted a couple of pics/clips including portions of said video below.

View attachment 3290
View attachment 3291

3:43 and 4:40 into this video.

0:30, 2:15, 2:24, and 4:35 into this video.

This may be it. Just found out about it and have another compilation made mostly from this. It shows when Double Creek began getting hit at 3:22

Phil

AngelAndHisWx

Reaction score
This may be it. Just found out about it and have another compilation made mostly from this. It shows when Double Creek began getting hit at 3:22

Phil
Just based off of the visual appearance of the tornado and based off what photos are available from Scott Beckwith’s dead man walking sequence of stills, the end of the video is when the tornado is at Double Creek, considering the amount of structural debris surrounding it.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I think it hit Double Creek @2:30ish in this vid, you can see the large debris start circulating. The links I just got are unpublished but I have seen at least one of them before. There's other vids which show the amazingly rapid transition from a rope to a wedge. Considering the year and location and that it wasn't well forecast or warned, I'm still surprised there's as much good video as exists on this one.

Phil

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
One piece of footage that I am hoping will be uploaded online sometime, is the 1998 Comfrey tornado.
Hanska_tornado_1-RoyJanni.PNG

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
oh the post got deleted
Now I'm gonna hate myself forever because I didn't know how to download Facebook videos at the time.

If anyone here has a Facebook account maybe they can contact Roy Janni directly and ask if he can upload the footage again?

Reaction score
Now I'm gonna hate myself forever because I didn't know how to download Facebook videos at the time.

If anyone here has a Facebook account maybe they can contact Roy Janni directly and ask if he can upload the footage again?

According to this article he'll mail you copies of the tape if requested, perhaps he'll re-upload the footage or email it to you privately?

Reaction score
I know that this is not precisely "historical" but I think this thread is the place to ask. Does anyone have the video of Tim Samaras early chase videos? especially the one in the screenshots. I remember I saw the entire clip almost 15 years ago on the internet when I was a kid, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

download.jpgdownload.jpg

AngelAndHisWx

Reaction score
I know that this is not precisely "historical" but I think this thread is the place to ask. Does anyone have the video of Tim Samaras early chase videos? especially the one in the screenshots. I remember I saw the entire clip almost 15 years ago on the internet when I was a kid, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

View attachment 11736View attachment 11735
They’re included on the first DVD of his first Driven by Passion video. Here’s an archived, low quality copy of the probe deployment, probably the same one you saw: http://web.archive.org/web/20050111050831/http://www.swiftwx.com/video/tornadoprobes.wmv

andyhb

Reaction score
I think it hit Double Creek @2:30ish in this vid, you can see the large debris start circulating. The links I just got are unpublished but I have seen at least one of them before. There's other vids which show the amazingly rapid transition from a rope to a wedge. Considering the year and location and that it wasn't well forecast or warned, I'm still surprised there's as much good video as exists on this one.

Phil
It definitely hit Double Creek later towards the end of the video when it was much larger and more intense.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

View attachment 11736View attachment 11735
Welcome to TalkWeather! You have a username I can get behind and support!

Back