• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Historic tornado videos missing from youtube/the internet?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Downloaded the Joplin video, now added to my ever-growing (multi-gigabyte) collection of tornado videos. Some of which (including Earl Faubion's footage of the May 3, 1995 F5 tornado entering Moore with the original audio intact) have since been removed from YouTube.

I believe I posted my own thread seeking missing footage from the 1995 Anderson Hills tornado and the 1998 Winter Garden tornado. Unfortunately still haven't found that footage yet. Another tornado with missing footage is the April 2006 Gallatin tornado. The particular footage I'm looking for seems to be missing except for an 8-second snippet which can be seen at the beginning of this video. Does anyone have the full, unedited footage?

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Glad to see I'm not the only offline hoarder of historic tornado videos haha

The Eastern Fury DVD by Bill Hark has a pretty decent bit of Gallatin footage, I lost my copy a while back so will order a new one and report back when that comes in

buckeye05

Reaction score
Downloaded the Joplin video, now added to my ever-growing (multi-gigabyte) collection of tornado videos. Some of which (including Earl Faubion's footage of the May 3, 1995 F5 tornado entering Moore with the original audio intact) have since been removed from YouTube.

I believe I posted my own thread seeking missing footage from the 1995 Anderson Hills tornado and the 1998 Winter Garden tornado. Unfortunately still haven't found that footage yet. Another tornado with missing footage is the April 2006 Gallatin tornado. The particular footage I'm looking for seems to be missing except for an 8-second snippet which can be seen at the beginning of this video. Does anyone have the full, unedited footage?

Honestly good on you for preserving these videos!

Reaction score
Found some interesting clips of the Joplin tornado.
First one was uploaded to YouTube. The same user uploaded two more videos taken from the same vantage point, one at 5:42 PM (before the footage below) and another taken at 5:47 PM (after).

Second one is from Dailymotion and may be the footage you're looking for:

The scariest thing about those videos is that you can't see the actual tornado, nor any visual point of reference (cloud structure) as to where it might be. Just a wall of wind, rain and debris. At any second the videographer's houses could have disintegrated before they had time to even take one step toward shelter.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Equus - Good to know, hopefully the DVD you are ordering does indeed have some of the missing footage of the Gallatin tornado.

buckeye05 - Thank you! As of now the archive I've created has well over 300 videos - almost 9GB of tornado videos.

I myself have a DVD called "Twisters" (not to be confused with the movie) that has some of Jeff Piotrowski's excellent footage of the 1993 Catoosa tornado if anyone is interested.

Reaction score
It's interesting how some tornadoes were so well documented on video and others not so much. Joplin seems to be lean on video. Even the Tuscaloosa tornado of 4/27/11...heavily recorded in Tuscaloosa, but not much from Jefferson County.

A big part of that has to do with the fact that, as in the videos linked above, the Joplin tornado was heavily rain-wrapped and difficult to see unless you were dangerously close. Same is true for the TCL-BHM tornado after it left the Tuscaloosa area. That and the fact that most chasers who intercepted it in Tuscaloosa had difficulty staying with it due to storm speed and roads blocked by debris.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah rain made it hard to see except as a nasty looking dangerous wall once it was much beyond Tuscaloosa, still amazing how visible it was while going through the city. I guess you could count the few mile wide rain shroud around the tornado as having seen it but it's not that visually impressive as it's hard to see any motion when the rain wrapping extends that far out.

There is however a scary close up from Fultondale from a guy that essentially got hit by it; can tell there's a fat wedge within the rain mass past Tuscaloosa but only from VERY dangerously close.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)
Yeah rain made it hard to see except as a nasty looking dangerous wall once it was much beyond Tuscaloosa, still amazing how visible it was while going through the city. I guess you could count the few mile wide rain shroud around the tornado as having seen it but it's not that visually impressive as it's hard to see any motion when the rain wrapping extends that far out.

There is however a scary close up from Fultondale from a guy that essentially got hit by it; can tell there's a fat wedge within the rain mass past Tuscaloosa but only from VERY dangerously close.

I remember that video well!

Reaction score

This isn't up close but still impressive; it's from downtown Birmingham; you can see how large it got and how radically it changed its appearance by the time it reached Fultondale and how it's almost indistinguishable from the low-hanging cloud cover and mesocyclone.

It's amazing how many near misses downtown Birmingham has had with violent tornadoes; I wonder how long until one goes straight through downtown during rush hour; I shudder to think of that inevitable day.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Another tornado I can think of with missing footage is the 2008 Strzelce Opolskie tornado. This F3 tornado tracked across rural areas of southern Poland killing one or three people (sources conflict). Extremeplanet has two stills from the missing footage: https://extremeplanet.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/poland-panel.png

Also, for those who don't know, extremeplanet can still be accessed at extremeplanet.wordpress.com. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the Tornado History Project :(

Reaction score
Another tornado I can think of with missing footage is the 2008 Strzelce Opolskie tornado. This F3 tornado tracked across rural areas of southern Poland killing one or three people (sources conflict). Extremeplanet has two stills from the missing footage: https://extremeplanet.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/poland-panel.png

Also, for those who don't know, extremeplanet can still be accessed at extremeplanet.wordpress.com. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the Tornado History Project :(
THP was gonna go down, eventually. It's interface was horribly out of date and many of the paths on there were flat out wrong.
What really irks me is http://www.april31974.com/ going down; you can access it via the Wayback Machine but obviously it's just not the same.

Reaction score
On the topic of Joplin, this is a video that, while not exactly hard to find, is incredible. One, it demonstrates the dangers of rain-wrapped tornadoes and two, it shows how quickly supercells can turn day into night (it's around 5:45 in the afternoon in this video). It's easy to miss on YouTube due to its title not being very notable and I remember stumbling upon by pear chance back in November of 2011 and it had less than 100 views, I posted it in some threads and on Facebook and then it became pretty popular.

FYI the uploader was the was the driver in the video and he's alive and well, don't worry).

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I try to save as many interesting old wx sites as I can offline but I don't think I got to that one in time; lots of very valuable domains expiring with no warning over the years

Reaction score
I try to save as many interesting old wx sites as I can offline but I don't think I got to that one in time; lots of very valuable domains expiring with no warning over the years
Yeah I understand, lots of Grazulis' old stuff seems to be expiring as well. Chasetours was another great website that also expired and I wish I had saved more photos from it on my hard drive before it went down. Hindsight's always 20/20, indeed.

Reaction score
This is a Discovery Channel documentary that I think I watched in either 1999 or early 2000 when in elementary school, it's got some footage of Bridge-Creek Moore I haven't been able to find anywhere else either with sound or in complete form.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Not sure y'all have ever seen this video.It's a short home video capturing the final stage of Andover F5 near Cassoday KS and developing stage of the KS turnpike/El Dorado Lake F2(The same tornado chased the news crew at high speed).What attracts the most is the gorgeous, sculptured structure of the storm
387faf20d8be6482.jpg

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
You sure you aren't confusing this video of the Phil Campbell tornado with the Joplin video you speak of? Videos sound similar in description and name is similar with the 'very close'. This passed right behind the guys house.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I showed this to my mother who saw the Smithville tornado to her direct west and she said it is pretty close to what she saw except that it had more "boiling" black clouds.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This video filmed during the June 2010 Northern Plains tornado outbreak, while not "missing" per say, seems to be harder to find despite being one of the best videos I've ever seen of a tornado forming. Would appreciate if someone could tell me exactly which tornado this was.

Back