• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Historic tornado videos missing from youtube/the internet?

buckeye05

Reaction score
The same user uploaded additional footage of the May 3rd event that's been commonly seen in documentaries.

I’ve been looking for this footage for a while too. Interesting how comparatively narrow it was when it first entered Cleveland County before wedging out again as it moved further into the suburbs.

Last edited:

andyhb

Reaction score
Found this while browsing Youtube today. Thought I'd share. Doubt it's complete, but it's the closet to it I've personally seen.

Ah yes that's the one. Good stuff.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
You sure you aren't confusing this video of the Phil Campbell tornado with the Joplin video you speak of? Videos sound similar in description and name is similar with the 'very close'. This passed right behind the guys house.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
You sure you aren't confusing this video of the Phil Campbell tornado with the Joplin video you speak of? Videos sound similar in description and name is similar with the 'very close'. This passed right behind the guys house.

100% positive. I can't believe nobody remembers it. It was titled "Joplin Tornado Up Close" and was even discussed on this forum a while back. The camera man moved around and zooms in and out throughout the video. It's shot from a fenced in backyard with a beach ball blowing around.

Last edited:

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
100% positive. I can't believe nobody remembers it. It was titled "Joplin Tornado Up Close" and was even discussed on this forum a while back. The camera man moved around and zooms in and out throughout the video. It's shot from a fenced in backyard with a beach ball blowing around.
Interesting. Now I really wanna see this lol. Don't recall ever seeing it before. Off to google I go to try and find this.

EdinDetroit

Reaction score
Speaking of missing tornado videos there was one where two guys are out watching the approaching storm when one yells "Yeow it's coming down right here" or words to that effect and you see the tornado come down just before they run into the building to take cover. Does anyone know of it? I've searched all over YouTube for it with no luck.

Reaction score
This might be the Hackleburg/Phil Campbell tornado vid you are looking for.

The shape and bluish tint of Hackleburg in this video remind me quite a bit of Bridge Creek-Moore in appearance and structure, it also reminds me of a TLC documentary from the late 90s or early 2000s that contained footage of the 1999 F5 tornado that I've been having a hard time finding anywhere else, and is likely locked in television station archives at this point. Oh well.

Reaction score
Ah yes that's the one. Good stuff.
Short bits of this I remember seeing in a TLC documentary from either 1999 or 2000, and it actually had audio of it. Unfortunately, can't seem to find that one now. This clip reminds me of close-up footage of Joplin from someone's backyard, with a trampoline and everything.

atrainguy

Reaction score
Short bits of this I remember seeing in a TLC documentary from either 1999 or 2000, and it actually had audio of it. Unfortunately, can't seem to find that one now. This clip reminds me of close-up footage of Joplin from someone's backyard, with a trampoline and everything.
This is a short snippet of what might be the TLC documentary you are remembering (the one with the 1999 backyard video). I have the whole thing recorded off TV on DVD somewhere, and the documentary also has the "Inside an F5" footage from earlier in this thread. This particular part on Youtube doesn't have either video, but it does have some other neat shots of the Bridge Creek tornado, including its satellite. Dunno if they're considered rare or not, but I thought it might be worth sharing.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Reaction score
This is some raw footage of Jarrell, you can see it in its skinny rope phase and the very beginning of the transition, but unfortunately it looks like the whole transition is still missing. Man, if only.

Reaction score
Speaking of missing tornado videos there was one where two guys are out watching the approaching storm when one yells "Yeow it's coming down right here" or words to that effect and you see the tornado come down just before they run into the building to take cover. Does anyone know of it? I've searched all over YouTube for it with no luck.
Is this the one you're referring to? Not sure what tornado you're thinking of:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Found some interesting clips of the Joplin tornado.
First one was uploaded to YouTube. The same user uploaded two more videos taken from the same vantage point, one at 5:42 PM (before the footage below) and another taken at 5:47 PM (after).

Second one is from Dailymotion and may be the footage you're looking for:

buckeye05

Reaction score
First one was uploaded to YouTube. The same user uploaded two more videos taken from the same vantage point, one at 5:42 PM (before the footage below) and another taken at 5:47 PM (after).

YES!!!! That second video! That’s the one I’ve been looking for this entire time.

Reaction score

That second one from Dailymotion got taken down from YouTube due to a copyright claim, finally found it after all these years. The heavy rain and hail and low visibility of the tornado in that clip is similar to eyewitness accounts of the Tri-State tornado.

Back