• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Historic tornado videos missing from youtube/the internet?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I want to ask that is it possible to find several Hackleburg tornado damage aerial footages that deleted years ago ? There were still Hackleburg tornado aerials on youtube now but I clearly remembered I used have watched three or four part of aerial damage footage coverd from Hackleburg to Tanner area on youtube many years ago.
First off, are you referring to the clips on this channel?

I found the now-deleted Columbia video by stumbling across the YouTube URL in an old news article, plugging that into the wayback machine and getting lucky that somebody either thought to archive it themselves, or the wayback machine itself happened to crawl it. If you can recall seeing the link to the video(s) in an old article somewhere, you can try doing the same thing to see if it's archived.

pohnpei

Reaction score
First off, are you referring to the clips on this channel?

I found the now-deleted Columbia video by stumbling across the YouTube URL in an old news article, plugging that into the wayback machine and getting lucky that somebody either thought to archive it themselves, or the wayback machine itself happened to crawl it. If you can recall seeing the link to the video(s) in an old article somewhere, you can try doing the same thing to see if it's archived.
Thanks for the information! Unfortunately these clips were not what I was looking for. The footages I watched was mucher longer video coverd entire track from Hackleburg to Tanner area.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Thanks for the information! Unfortunately these clips were not what I was looking for. The footages I watched was mucher longer video coverd entire track from Hackleburg to Tanner area.
Will keep looking. If I find them, I'll post them, but at the same time I don't think I quite deserve the title of "jedi master of finding obscure/lost tornado footage". Have to pass that award on to @AngelAndHisWx, who can perhaps help with the search too.

KCMO Railfan

Reaction score

Not sure if this video's been talked about but I recently discovered this video of the 2016 Katie-Wynnewood Oklahoma tornado. This footage of the tornado was originally on Joe Exotic's (since deleted YT channel), but it appears it was reuploaded in 2020 around the time the Netflix documentary of Joe was being made. I'm not sure if this video has the part where the tornado's rear inflow jet sucked up a house as shown in Pecos Hank's vid of the storm, and other vids from that day.

Reaction score
Footage from Pampa 1995 I've never seen before, mainly aftermath footage. Think I saw some of this on TLC back in the day but can't find the full documentary anymore:

AngelAndHisWx

Reaction score
Not sure if this counts as historic in the traditional sense, but to my knowledge Dr. Blanchard’s video of the Limon area tornadoes from June 6 1990 is the only known video of the tornadoes (the F4 was not filmed however since it was rainwrapped). It also gave me a rare chance to compare video that appeared in Tornado Video Classics to original source material and wow what a difference. As an aside, this tape is currently the oldest I’ve handled.

jules

Reaction score
I was hoping you could help me find a video from AL on 4/27- It’s a first person pov of two paramedics sitting in an ambulance, watching a massive tornado get closer and closer until they decide to get out of there. I think they were next to a river or lake - Guntersville maybe? Thanks!

OHWX97

Reaction score
I was hoping you could help me find a video from AL on 4/27- It’s a first person pov of two paramedics sitting in an ambulance, watching a massive tornado get closer and closer until they decide to get out of there. I think they were next to a river or lake - Guntersville maybe? Thanks!
I think this video of the Shoal Creek-Ohatchee EF4 is what you're looking for.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
On the NWS Lake Charles page of the 2011 Rayne, LA tornado there is this screenshot:
raynetornado.jpg

But this screenshot doesn't match any of the angles from the Meche's Family Drugstore, and according to someone from NWS Lake Charles (yes, they actually responded to my email!) this was filmed from the Acadia Parish Fire Dept. on Oak Street, looking southwest. This is another clip I've been trying to find for literally years, but I finally have some information now! This also doesn't look like someone simply took a photo of a computer or TV screen, so the footage - if it was indeed released to the general public at some point, is hopefully out there somewhere...
So... after NWS Lake Charles provided me with some information I decided to email the City of Rayne about this footage. That was a couple months ago and I wasn't expecting anything to come out of it - that's usually the name of the game when trying to track down these missing tornado videos.

Well, just a few days ago I got an email from Rayne's police chief who was around when the tornado struck. He says their police department has some footage from their security cameras and will send me a link to download it. Regardless if the footage from that screenshot is in their collection or not, we shall see what becomes of this...

UK_EF4

Reaction score
This is a bit of a weird question, and am not totally sure it belongs here but I couldnt think of a better place.

I remember what feels like around a week or so ago, a chaser posted an image on twitter, which was a view of an entire supercell and wedge tornado at the bottom. I think the tornado was one of the Kansas 2004 Wedges. However, I cannot seem to find this image anywhere now. I might be going crazy and getting things mixed up in my head but thought it was worth checking here.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Giving a HUGE thanks to Capt. Tony Olinger of the Rayne Police Department, the City of Rayne and NWS Lake Charles. Another tornado video is struck off the "lost media" list.

(Unfortunately, the only part where the funnel itself comes into view is just a still frame due to the tornado knocking out the power on its approach to the station.)

edit: Hmmm... of course Dailymotion chooses to do this with the Rayne footage of all the videos I've uploaded. Plays fine when I'm in Dailymotion Studio, so I don't think the file is the problem.

edit 2: Reposted below.

Last edited:

KCMO Railfan

Reaction score
So. I recently found out on an Instagram post on who originally filmed the infamous backyard video of the Bridge Creek tornado. According to a reply to a comment I put in on said post. That particular footage was originally taken by a person named "Keith Lee". As for the possibility of the original footage still existing remains a mystery. Hopefully one day the full unedited footage will eventually surface online.

AngelAndHisWx

Reaction score
So. I recently found out on an Instagram post on who originally filmed the infamous backyard video of the Bridge Creek tornado. According to a reply to a comment I put in on said post. That particular footage was originally taken by a person named "Keith Lee". As for the possibility of the original footage still existing remains a mystery. Hopefully one day the full unedited footage will eventually surface online.
That video I’m sure will never see the light of day in full. Original Hi8 tape is in either TWC’s or KWTV’s archive, and Mr. Lee only has a few surviving duplicate copies. Him and his late brother were among the first to assist the area SW of Shields Blvd, and were the first to reach Julie Rakeshaw, the lady who was impaled in the neck by a piece of timber, which was also on the original tape. Because of the original tape effectively being lost because of copyrights, and because of the sensitive nature of the video, I don’t think it’ll ever be released. And as visually spectacular as the video is, this is one that I think is best left to certain eyes.

Reaction score
This is the best I can find of it on YouTube. No sound but you can a sense of how apocalyptic it must have seemed:

50 seconds or so in on the left you can see large objects get sucked right into it.

KCMO Railfan

Reaction score
This is the best I can find of it on YouTube. No sound but you can a sense of how apocalyptic it must have seemed:

50 seconds or so in on the left you can see large objects get sucked right into it.

I'm pretty sure Kelley Elementary School (which is not that far from Mr Lee's house) was hit sometime during that video. Location itself appears to be the same except that white building where the square body chevy truck was parked by was torn down at some point. I wonder how close the 2013 tornado was from hitting this neighborhood.

Back