• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Getting to know our members!

SouthFLwx

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am a new member on TalkWeather and I look forward to having some good conversations with anyone on here. A little bit of background info on me: My real name is Gabriel (you can call me Gabe though), I am 17 years old and I live in South Florida. I have always been fascinated with the weather ever since I was a little kid and my primary interests are in severe and tropical WX. I plan to go to college and attain a degree in meteorology as I know for sure that the weather is my passion :)

xJownage

Reaction score
Definitely not a newcomer, but definitely am a reformed "weenie" from 5+ years ago. I took a break from this site after a false psuedo witch-hunt against me a couple years ago, which was thankfully found to be false.

My name is Sam and while I'm not new to weather, forecasting is always something that intrigued me. When I was 11 I got hooked on storm chasers and it started an obsession with severe weather that hasn't stopped to this day. For several of my teenage years, I didn't really dive into the complexities of forecasting, but over the past couple years I took the deep dive with the help of several others. I've always wanted to go chasing, and thanks to a friend I met, I'll be going to the plains this year for the last 2 weeks of may. A few of you may know me already, I'm a moderator of the stormtrack discord server. Many of the mets and experienced chasers in that server have been very welcoming and helped me learn a lot about forecasting in a short time, and I will continue to soak up all the knowledge I can.

There are two primary events that stuck with me that really hooked me in. 4/27 is an obvious one, but 4/14/12 was the first time I covered an entire event live, going hours into the night. The historic outbreak that day was amazing to watch, especially with a bevy of livestreams to see everything going on in real time. 4/12/20, easter sunday, was the first outbreak I covered with others. I was in a discord call for hours on end, streaming to upwards of 50 or more people, grinding through the entire event. It was exhausting, but my all time favorite moment in weather on a personal level, as it's what gave me the passion to become significantly better at forecasting.

SouthFLwx

Reaction score
Definitely not a newcomer, but definitely am a reformed "weenie" from 5+ years ago. I took a break from this site after a false psuedo witch-hunt against me a couple years ago, which was thankfully found to be false.

My name is Sam and while I'm not new to weather, forecasting is always something that intrigued me. When I was 11 I got hooked on storm chasers and it started an obsession with severe weather that hasn't stopped to this day. For several of my teenage years, I didn't really dive into the complexities of forecasting, but over the past couple years I took the deep dive with the help of several others. I've always wanted to go chasing, and thanks to a friend I met, I'll be going to the plains this year for the last 2 weeks of may. A few of you may know me already, I'm a moderator of the stormtrack discord server. Many of the mets and experienced chasers in that server have been very welcoming and helped me learn a lot about forecasting in a short time, and I will continue to soak up all the knowledge I can.

There are two primary events that stuck with me that really hooked me in. 4/27 is an obvious one, but 4/14/12 was the first time I covered an entire event live, going hours into the night. The historic outbreak that day was amazing to watch, especially with a bevy of livestreams to see everything going on in real time. 4/12/20, easter sunday, was the first outbreak I covered with others. I was in a discord call for hours on end, streaming to upwards of 50 or more people, grinding through the entire event. It was exhausting, but my all time favorite moment in weather on a personal level, as it's what gave me the passion to become significantly better at forecasting.
Have fun on your trip to the Plains!

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Awesome to hear your story man! If you find yourself near Fayetteville, AR on your travels let me know. Dinner/Lunch is on me.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Hey everyone! I am a new member on TalkWeather and I look forward to having some good conversations with anyone on here. A little bit of background info on me: My real name is Gabriel (you can call me Gabe though), I am 17 years old and I live in South Florida. I have always been fascinated with the weather ever since I was a little kid and my primary interests are in severe and tropical WX. I plan to go to college and attain a degree in meteorology as I know for sure that the weather is my passion :)
Welcome, Gabe!! We are glad to have you for sure. Sounds like you and I got started the same way. Look forward to following you on your meteorology journey. We have quite a few career mets on the board that I'm sure you could reach out to from time to time with questions and advice. Any idea which school you are looking at?

SouthFLwx

Reaction score
Welcome, Gabe!! We are glad to have you for sure. Sounds like you and I got started the same way. Look forward to following you on your meteorology journey. We have quite a few career mets on the board that I'm sure you could reach out to from time to time with questions and advice. Any idea which school you are looking at?
Hey Wes, sorry for the late response. I will be attending Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach later this year for a Bachelor’s degree in meteorology.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Hey Wes, sorry for the late response. I will be attending Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach later this year for a Bachelor’s degree in meteorology.
Fantastic choice sir! Best of luck and glad to have you with us!

DetectiveWX

Reaction score
I joined after a decade of lurking. Followed the 2010 La nina winter on the old "Talkweather" and Fred talking how the 2011 tornado season could be active. Of course, it was explosive to the nth power. Followed here and studied twister history and the extreme tornado December 2021, the latter made me want to join this site. Anyway, hope to get enjoyment out of this site. Sorry I didn't find this thread sooner.

CLP80

Reaction score
I've been lurking on these forums for several years and I've always appreciated how knowledgable many people are on this forum. I finally decided to create an account to share some before/after photos from the Dec 2021 KY tornadoes.

No weather background for me, but I do have a degree in mechanical engineering, so I can appreciate all the science behind these storms. When I was 16 years old (1996) we had an F4 plow through an area about 5 miles from me (Louisville, KY), and seeing the aftermath of it has had me hooked to learn more about tornadoes ever since.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I've been lurking on these forums for several years and I've always appreciated how knowledgable many people are on this forum. I finally decided to create an account to share some before/after photos from the Dec 2021 KY tornadoes.

No weather background for me, but I do have a degree in mechanical engineering, so I can appreciate all the science behind these storms. When I was 16 years old (1996) we had an F4 plow through an area about 5 miles from me (Louisville, KY), and seeing the aftermath of it has had me hooked to learn more about tornadoes ever since.
Maybe you've already seen these videos before, but this is almost certainly the tornado you saw back in 1996:

Reaction score
Hell everyone! I was a lurker on the old thread awhile back before it went bust. I'm a resident of central Missouri at the moment (soon to be a resident of Kansas City this fall) and have been into severe weather since kindergarten. I watched the movie TWISTER way too many times and once upon a time harbored fantasies of being a storm chaser. As most childhood fantasies must end, so did that one. Thanks to COVID and personal crises I likely have a future of lackadaisical academic and career prospects to look forward to so this thread is one of many forms of escapism I use. I have a huge movie and book collection and LOVE music; I'm really into punk, metal, industrial, electronica and dance music. One of these days I'd like to write some horror/fantasy/sci-fi novels but not sure how that will pan out lol. So many dreams, so few ways of making them achievable....
Anyways, greetings to everyone and looking forward to talking with you all on this thread for the foreseeable future!

Last edited:

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Another maniacal music lover perhaps? I can sure use some company in that category :D The world changes around us, so don't give up on dreams and aspirations- the time could become right for them tomorrow. Here's to hoping that happens for you then or sooner!

Phil

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If we're gonna talk about music, why not throw this stuff out there? I'm generally a rock kind of guy, I like mostly Southern rock, alt rock, indie rock and country rock. Spend most of my time listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd, other bands I like are CCR, Cheap Trick, 3EB, Kansas and The Rolling Stones. Lost track of genres beyond that, but other artists I like are B.J. Thomas, Björk, Dropkick Murphys, Kombinaciya, Viktoriya Cherentsova, Green Day, Hiram Bullock, Charlie Daniels, The Rural Alberta Advantage, Van Halen, Elvis Presley, a-ha, Duran Duran and Barry Manilow (thanks mom for that one!)

I'm also a vintage computer guy and there's a myth floating around that you need to download all your songs in MIDI form to play them on your old computers... but even a 286 will play WAV files with the right sound hardware! :D WinPlay3 is for you if you prefer to keep your songs in MP3 format.

What actually sparked my interests and hobbies? Honestly, I have no clue. For tornadoes, the event that got me interested might have been May 22, 2008 but no doubt it's been over a decade, only reason I remember is thanks to a crappy tornado flipnote I made on my Nintendo DSi on April 19, 2011. Whatever the case, these are some of the earliest tornado videos I remember watching. Crazy to think that back then I had absolutely no understanding of things like subvortices, debarking, debris granulation, anchor bolts on houses, or ground scouring among other things, and about all I could do was differentiate a tornado from a dust devil.

Cutting this off before I end up writing an entire damn autobiography about myself lol. On the ever-changing (for the worse) internet, TalkWeather stands out and I'm glad to be a part of such an awesome community!

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Greetings! I’m Eric and just joined the site. I live in Greenville, SC. Nothing too exciting to say, other than I’m a husband and father of three and self proclaimed weather nerd. Just looking forward to learning even more by keeping an eye on the forum. Like I said, just a weather nerd….and a nerd in general, so I run a weather hobby site at UpstateWeather.com for the Upstate of SC. Really, I’m sure I’m the only one that views it lol but it keeps me entertained!

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Welcome, Eric!

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Greetings! I’m Eric and just joined the site. I live in Greenville, SC. Nothing too exciting to say, other than I’m a husband and father of three and self proclaimed weather nerd. Just looking forward to learning even more by keeping an eye on the forum. Like I said, just a weather nerd….and a nerd in general, so I run a weather hobby site at UpstateWeather.com for the Upstate of SC. Really, I’m sure I’m the only one that views it lol but it keeps me entertained!
Howdy Neighbor! W. Greenville was my lifetime home till it gentrified Living past Pickens ATM.

PinkDudee

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Sean 'n I just joined the site. I live in Brownsville, Texas, but I lived most of my life in Omaha, Nebraska and I've had like 3/4 tornado events that I can remember, which included me seeing the supercell of what I believe was the 2017 Bellevue tornado(es) when I was coming home from school, and which included when I lived in Atlanta and that 2021 outbreak was happenin'. I'm 13, not sure if I'm allowed here if I'm 13 so ban me if you must, but for most of my life I've been OBSESSED with tornadoes, from an early age (like 5 or something) I wanted to be a stormchaser. I am a self proclaimed weather enthusiast and I often find enjoyment in bragging about knowing what a squall line or a rear flank downdraft is to my family lol. I usually roleplay as multiple people in GMod Tornado Survival things, and I draw tornadoes ALOT. I listen to Mitski (More specifically Retired from Sad, New Career in Business), and whatever 11 year old me was putting in my liked songs playlist in Spotify lol.
Anyways, I hope you atleast tolerated the essay long introduction from someone who is probably going to get banned because he's 13 and isn't really trusting of the part in the Terms of Use that states: "We welcome people of all ages." ^^

Back