• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Getting to know our members!

Stormlover

Reaction score
I've been on TW since, well I don't know how long...when did it start? I had a different name at first, then something crashed and I had to change names, and it's been a smooth ride ever since, lol...j/k....had some rough times in politics, and even a few in weather, but thanks to Jack and the rest that have kept it going all these years. It has certainly been interesting. Thanks to Wes for taking over to keep it going.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I stumbled across Talkweather in 2003 while tracking Hurricane Isabel. I only lurked in that thread and I don't think I ever really checked out the rest of the site. Isabel made landfall in North Carolina and then I forgot about TW. Fast forward to 2004 and Hurricane Ivan and I remember the site and actually joined that time around. You folks have been stuck with me ever since.

HazardousWx

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
W4SSW
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I first joined in November of 2002. I joined because I work in emergency management for a county and work severe weather operations in the emergency ops center and give severe weather & preparedness safety talks to groups as part of my job. I somehow stumbled on to this forum back then and became less active in later years as it seemed I didn't recognize many members. Giving it a go again.

darkskys25

Reaction score
Indeed. Sorry for the fake snowcasts from the "SEWS" that me and my old friend made. Makes a funny story to tell the meteorologists I've worked with though. ;)

Dothan City Schools (Houston County in Southeast Alabama) says they'll keep schools on normal schedule Wednesday and evaluate for Thursday.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, Gov. Ivey has declared a state of Emergency for all 67 Alabama counties starting at 6pm.
So you are SEWS? Ha ha.. you really ruffled a lot of feathers. I actually predate that back in the 90s when I got started really from day 1. The forum was managed by JO. Anyways, back to current discussion.

_melody_

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
So you are SEWS? Ha ha.. you really ruffled a lot of feathers. I actually predate that back in the 90s when I got started really from day 1. The forum was managed by JO. Anyways, back to current discussion.
I have been here since the late 90's as well. I was a lurker. Pretty much still am. I don't have any expertise to contribute, but I like to keep up, so that's my deal. I'm glad to see things hopping here today, even though I am not so crazy about the reason for the hop. I hope everyone will stay safe tomorrow!

Jacob

Reaction score
I don't remember exactly when I joined the forum, but I just remember being quite the immature kid at the time, ha. I think it was around 2002? I'm pretty sure I was in the 8th grade at the time, I know JO was still the operator of the forum then. I think I was BKHusky for years on here, before changing my username to Jacob.

I know a handful of the members personally, and have always appreciated this site and the other members. I am however a bit thankful all those posts of mine from the early/mid 2000's are now gone for good. :D

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
After not having internet until I was 16 then lurking for a few years, I made the ironic decision to start posting late on April 25th 2011 to discuss an upcoming severe threat in a certain thread, and we all know how that went

Lifelong weather dork, or at least life post-Hurricane Opal and 4/8-4/16/98, had a severe wind phobia after getting locked outside in a microburst sometime after that. Fear is a great motivator to learn so that helped, probably. Wanted to make a career of it but sucked at college level math and decided to flee from that career path and just stay an enthusiast. Chased outer rain bands of Cindy in 2017 and saw tornado number one, hope to add to that in coming years whenever the time and $ is available. Obsessive offline archivist of interesting threads and research papers.

I like trees, railroads, old bridges, roller coasters, city planning, geography, birds, late 90s era open wheel racing, archaeology, environmental topics, and other such weirdly eclectic things; hopefully there will be another meetup one of these days once the pandemic is over since I missed out on all of those

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Sorry for clogging things up. I figured there would be so many posts mine would be forgotten in 30 minutes. Was glad to connect with an old MSU bud.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Sorry for clogging things up. I figured there would be so many posts mine would be forgotten in 30 minutes. Was glad to connect with an old MSU bud.
Actually the other way around... want to make sure you guys can actually connect :) It's starting to move fast over there.

dozie1981

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Hello everyone at Talkweather. My name is David and I have been a longtime lurker on this forum. I'm 40 years old and have been a weather geek since I was a kid when I first heard about the '65 Palm Sunday Outbreak and the '74 Super Outbreak. I live in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati, Ohio.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Bump!!
Any new or old members wanting to pop in and say “Hi”?

TwistedMoon

Reaction score
I’ll give this thread a bump! I’m a new member here and just recently got into learning about tornadoes. I was browsing the threads and thought it might be a good idea to join up. My degrees are in history, so I’m really big into tornado history and things like that. Lately, I’ve been finding it difficult to stop reading about the Moore F5 and Parkersburg EF5. I can’t wait to learn as much as possible here!

JPWX

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this site a week prior to April 27th which is how I learned about James Spann. I live in Smithville, MS. 27 years old. My meteorology journey began when I was 4 years old. Storm came through knocked down my big apple tree. As a 4 year old, I was amazed the wind could have that much power. I met former WTVA Chief Meteorologist Dick Rice and he helped me tremendously. I wish I could have got to see him one last time before he passed. My first interest was with hurricanes especially after witnessing the historic 2004 and 2005 seasons. I watched The Weather Channel constantly learning on my own. I won't go into much about my story involving April 27th and Smithville. My story is featured in my friend Kim Cross's book What Stands In A Storm and on Storm Stories. I was 16 at the time. Would turn 17 the next day as my birthday is on April 28th. That day gave me a whole new perspective of storms and was the final piece of puzzle that solidified my meteorology career. I do have a speech impediment due to Cerebral Palsy but I don't let it stop me. I'm very involved now on social media. I've been honored to meet some great people like James Spann, Jim Cantore, Aubrey Urbanowicz, Rick Smith, Patrick Marsh, Janice Huff, Sean Casey, Jim Edds, and many others. I try to put the best information out there without the hype unless necessary.

Wind Driven Coconut

Reaction score
I found TalkWeather quite by accident on April 24, 2011. Living in Florida, I’d always been fascinated by severe weather, but usually specific to hurricanes. But my interest had grown in severe weather as well after a high end EF3 tornado hit Central Florida in 2007. I’d been reading some build up about a potential high end severe weather event for that week in April 2011 and was looking for a more, umm, balanced approach to discussion than the sites I typically used for hurricane discussion.

I had no idea that April 27th would turn out to be so historical, and so devastating. But I was online all day the 26th and 27th, reading posts, watching the event unfold, and even though I didn’t post (I rarely do) - getting to know so many of the people impacted that day that frequent this site. From that day forward, I always came back, and read more than just the severe weather posts- I read the recovery posts, the check ins, pretty much everything. Quiet in the background, but always rooting for everyone’s recovery and return to normalcy.

Here we are in December 2021 - more than 10 years later, and I still go here first when severe weather strikes to get great insight, discussion, debate, and most of all compassion- because for those of us so fascinated by weather and the history we are watching unfold, it’s so important to remember the impact. For those regulars that lived through 4/27/11, you are always the first to remind us of that.

Kory

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this site a week prior to April 27th which is how I learned about James Spann. I live in Smithville, MS. 27 years old. My meteorology journey began when I was 4 years old. Storm came through knocked down my big apple tree. As a 4 year old, I was amazed the wind could have that much power. I met former WTVA Chief Meteorologist Dick Rice and he helped me tremendously. I wish I could have got to see him one last time before he passed. My first interest was with hurricanes especially after witnessing the historic 2004 and 2005 seasons. I watched The Weather Channel constantly learning on my own. I won't go into much about my story involving April 27th and Smithville. My story is featured in my friend Kim Cross's book What Stands In A Storm and on Storm Stories. I was 16 at the time. Would turn 17 the next day as my birthday is on April 28th. That day gave me a whole new perspective of storms and was the final piece of puzzle that solidified my meteorology career. I do have a speech impediment due to Cerebral Palsy but I don't let it stop me. I'm very involved now on social media. I've been honored to meet some great people like James Spann, Jim Cantore, Aubrey Urbanowicz, Rick Smith, Patrick Marsh, Janice Huff, Sean Casey, Jim Edds, and many others. I try to put the best information out there without the hype unless necessary.
Those mid 2000s hurricane seasons are so surreal to look back at. Yeah, 2020 surpassed 2005 in numbers but that 2005 season is still the granddaddy of them all….4 category 5 hurricanes in itself is absolutely ridiculous.

Growing up on the Gulf Coast during that time period really molded my fascination for weather…and to this day hurricanes are my favorite weather to track.

JPWX

Reaction score
Those mid 2000s hurricane seasons are so surreal to look back at. Yeah, 2020 surpassed 2005 in numbers but that 2005 season is still the granddaddy of them all….4 category 5 hurricanes in itself is absolutely ridiculous.

Growing up on the Gulf Coast during that time period really molded my fascination for weather…and to this day hurricanes are my favorite weather to track.
Yes sir! I've gotten more involved in long range hurricane forecasting over the last few years since 2017. In fact, I keep a log book of every known tropical system in the Atlantic and also have made PowerPoint presentations of the well known tropical systems in each basin. Love severe weather and snow but hurricanes is where it's at.

AK4FD

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
AK4FD
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Hey everyone!

Thanks for letting me be a part of the forum! My name is David, I live in the Charlotte, NC area. I have been a Firefighter & EMT for the past 25 years and counting, I work various roles with Emergency Management both at the state of NC and Federal levels, I am the President of a local Skywarn group here (Metrolina Spotter Group - Facebook page, Website, Twitter) and I also am Vice President of a local storm Chaser group (Carolina Storm Spotters), I am a Ham Radio operator (AK4FD), and a GMRS operator as well (WRAX515). I have been involved with Skywarn and atmospheric sciences for the past 17 years. I am looking forward to learning and contributing from the forum here! Please feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, concerns, or just to say hi!

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Bump!!!
New or an old-timer like me (April 2002)… tell us about yourself or why you are here!!

How many of y’all are into weather because of a personal experience or the movies The Wizard of Oz or Twister?

Jessy89

Reaction score
Hi I’ll start off by saying I hope to make this my new weather forum home. My name Jessy from Liberty South Carolina. I love snow that’s my favorite type of weather. But I track all types of weather anything that’s a impact to people life I enjoy tracking and letting people know of potential. I originally came from another forum Southernwx. Well I’m not gonna call names or say mean things about anyone there but my relationship there went down hill and I was banned. That’s ok though the place became a complete circus anyway. If anyone on here from southernwx feel free to say hello. So I searched for a new weather home where I can discuss what I love and that’s weather. Thanks for letting me become a member here at Talkweather and I hope I can have some good weather conversations with you guys. I would love to help grow this place if at all possible because people need to be informed of dangerous weather. Thanks for reading

Jessy

Back