• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Fall 2018

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I know everyone is focused on the hurricanes (as we should be) but I figured we could also start talking a little about the fall. The GFS finally has a pattern shift to cooler temperatures for the SE way out in voodooland. But it's still nice to see temps in the lower 60s and DPs down in the 50s after months of 90s and 70s respectively.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I know everyone is focused on the hurricanes (as we should be) but I figured we could also start talking a little about the fall. The GFS finally has a pattern shift to cooler temperatures for the SE way out in voodooland. But it's still nice to see temps in the lower 60s and DPs down in the 50s after months of 90s and 70s respectively.
That sounds divine. I know we had that little tease a few weeks ago and it was nice to enjoy the afternoon without breaking a sweat. I know there are some student athletes that are excited to have it as well.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Some seasonal analogs I've heard being talked about point towards potentially an active cool-season severe pattern as well. Could be an interesting fall as I've heard some comparisons to 1989, 2002, and 2004 among others.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Some seasonal analogs I've heard being talked about point towards potentially an active cool-season severe pattern as well. Could be an interesting fall as I've heard some comparisons to 1989, 2002, and 2004 among others.
Yeah it looks like next week could be a start to that ... nice trough coming down ... potential severe setup plains ... it’s a start ....

bwalk

Reaction score
It's nice to see the cooler temps building 'up north'. But, the ridge looks strong & will continue to block that cooler air from moving South.

It will be nice (more than nice) when the ridge breaks down. This late September humidity here in the Southeast is making me cranky.

1537805813696.png

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Some much needed heavy rain here since this morning.I just wish the cool weather would follow.

We'll get a cooldown the rest of the week with highs staying in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s. Not as extreme as previously mentioned (Which is typical), but still a nice break.

FWIW, the 12z GFS has it getting downright COLD in mid-October towards the end of its run.. but who knows whether or not that is going to hold at all.

gfs_T2m_us_53.png

Reaction score
I'm happy to report a measurable amount of rain falling in 30132. It's been a while! Considering I'm on a well, I start getting worried when we go weeks with no rain!

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like the GFS is bringing in cooler/drier (mostly drier) weather this next weekend, and sticking with it. It seems from back when I started this thread until now, the GFS kept the drier air out in voodoo land and never let it get closer than 300 hours out.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the cooler weather is officially upon us in Dixie. My wife opened the doors and windows and now I'm getting the annual ragweed reaction.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
And just like that, Alabama has Fall for 2.5 days!!

Sent from my iPhone using TalkWeather

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looks like my area and just west me stand good chance chance going under winter storm watch warnings ... strong ull swings through tomorrow nite dumps nice swath of 2 to 4 inches snow. With some iso 5 inch spots especially. Ne Arkansas

Back