• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

December 10th 2021 Mid-South Outbreak- 1 year later

Reaction score
St. Louis got extremely lucky that night, and I think that gets overlooked. The metro area is sandwiched between the paths of the Defiance, MO EF3 to the west and the Edwardsville, IL EF3 to the east. If a tornado had occurred between those two, it very likely would have impacted or come very close to impacting areas hit by the 2011 Good Friday EF4. The NWS Office and radar site in Weldon Springs came very close to a direct hit by the Defiance tornado, which passed just to the south.
View attachment 15944View attachment 15941View attachment 15942View attachment 15943
Devastation produced by the Defiance EF3

View attachment 15947View attachment 15948
View attachment 15949View attachment 15950
Aftermath of the Amazon facility near Edwardsville, IL; the site of six fatalities.​

An addition five significant tornadoes would occur in Illinois that night, which makes the northern portion of the outbreak impressive in and of itself, but of course it wasn't comparable to the unbelievable violence that occurred further south.

View attachment 15945
View attachment 15946
Significant tree damage produced by a long-tracked EF2 near Ramsay, IL.​
That fourth picture you have attached there is not from Defiance, it's from Powell Street, Bowling Green, KY. Near where the Duplex was swept away. You can actually find this area from this livestream on facebook

OHWX97

Reaction score
That fourth picture you have attached there is not from Defiance, it's from Powell Street, Bowling Green, KY. Near where the Duplex was swept away. You can actually find this area from this livestream on facebook

Thank you for making me aware of that. I’ll take the picture down. I don’t want my posts having any inaccurate information.

Reaction score
Newbern, TN - Fort Campbell, KY was quite the under-rated one. The location in this tweet had multiple destroyed structures right before it entered Dresden.
Also some photos of the area from the air.

I wish more people knew about Dresden, this town was just left in shambles from an intense tornado, and like a very small amount of WX Enthusiasts actually talk about it.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Dresden was one of many communities seeing major damage in this tornado, which tend to get overlooked soon after the initial response in events as large as this one. I took a quick look at a couple damage vids and pics again, and what I saw was commensurate with the rated EF2- EF3 damage to mostly older or weakier structures. A lot of communities and small towns are of similar vintage and construction throughout the path, and didn't fare any better. It's sad and heartbreaking to know places like this are so soon forgotten by the not-local world, but that's the usual outcome with tornadoes like this. I've lived in and love several similar communities myself, greatly preferring it to big-city life. I do wish them well with the recovery.

Reaction score
I don't have any issue with the risk category, I think 15% hatched moderate was fine, but not making the tornado watch a PDS was a bit eyebrow-raising for me since it's a fairly common practice with 15% hatches. For example 12/23/15 (MS/TN outbreak including a similar long-track family, Clarksdale/Como EF3 and Holly Springs EF4 - another December event only slightly further south, 15 hatched area also included parts of MO bootheel and western KY later affected in 2021), 5/26/21 (Benkelman, NE EF2 but not much else) and most recently 11/29/22.

Back