• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX December 10 & 11, 2021 Severe Threat

andyhb

Reaction score
Reaction score
I don't know why I'm wasting my time with this, but there was a user who came onto another forum and basically started arguing about all of our perspectives on the flaws with surveying recently.

What I really mean to forward is this, where I document some of the more egregious points along the Mayfield track (and this is missing some of them, to be sure): https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/56398-dec-10-11-severe-weather/?do=findComment&comment=6271608
I read that and I am like are you serious. Well tell that guy your going for a PhD in Meteorology so you must know something.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I don't know why I'm wasting my time with this, but there was a user who came onto another forum and basically started arguing about all of our perspectives on the flaws with surveying recently.

What I really mean to forward is this, where I document some of the more egregious points along the Mayfield track (and this is missing some of them, to be sure): https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/56398-dec-10-11-severe-weather/?do=findComment&comment=6271608
I don't want to get too sucked into this for the sake of my mental health, but I can't resist bursting this poor guy's bubble. He still has unwavering faith in the damage survey system (for now) lol.

Reaction score
With that said, is there really anything in the EF scale documentation that mentions a CMU foundation home should NEVER be rated EF5? If so, why does one of the example pictures of EF5 damage from the NWS training manual show a home with a CMU foundation?
Fig-43-EF-scale-image-for-EF5-damage-to-well-constructed-home.png

Yeah, he claimed otherwise when called out on it but few if any other posts elsewhere on the site prior to today; seems like he just came on there to act as Tim Marshall or Rick Smith or whoever's personal attack dog...why exactly?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Well, he is what I would call F.O.S. (full of... you know what!)

Yeah, he claimed otherwise when called out on it but few if any other posts elsewhere on the site prior to today; seems like he just came on there to act as Tim Marshall or Rick Smith or whoever's personal attack dog...why exactly?
Paid to do so maybe? Yeah yeah I know that's a long shot, but nothing surprises me anymore.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
"So yes...I am dodging his questions."

Well, at least he is honest about that. Such a useful idiot. Unbelievable.

Also the problem is that when I do try to contact Tim Marshall, he doesn't always respond. Sometimes he does, but not always, and ESPECIALLY not when I question the rating of any survey he worked on.

Reaction score
Pretty sure the damage survey discussion/debate on this event has long surpassed the forecasting/nowcasting portion of this thread in length. In years to come, no doubt many posts will be made about it in the "Significant Tornado Events" and "Enhanced Fujita Ratings Debate" threads. Perhaps it might be wise to split off the post-event discussion into its own thread so both it and the forecasting/real-time aspects of this outbreak don't get lost in the clutter.

Reaction score
Curious, how close was the Mayfield etc monster to hitting the Marshall County Hospital on the north edge of Benton? Probably not far based on where the debris ball tracked. In fact it may have been just a slight jog to the left that spared it.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Jesus, what a catastrophe that would have been especially with the hospital (like most in the nation) likely crowded with COVID-19 patients. I have to imagine at a minimum they lost power and had to be on backup generators for a while.
The tornado seems to be significantly weaker at that point so I think the hospital would survive.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Views of damage from along the track (note that a lot of cleanup has taken place)

Tree damage in SW Bremen:
4326.png

Home that was leveled in Carbondale (if you look closely I think you can anchor bolts on the foundation)

Reaction score
now they've gone back and did more ground surveys recently.....in princeton and dawson springs. using aerial imagery and rating only the homes that are left standing....
if the only thing that remains rated ef4 on the dat in dawson springs is that appartment building, im going to lose my mind. there is clearly alot more ef4 damage there.

Back