• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX December 10 & 11, 2021 Severe Threat

pohnpei

Reaction score
So now Princeton Golf Course was labeled as 180mph EF4 with comments of 1/26 ground survey. So I guess they never surveyed this place before or even never notice of this place before? And what they can really find on January 26, well after cleaning work finished?

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
So now Princeton Golf Course was labeled as 180mph EF4 with comments of 1/26 ground survey. So I guess they never surveyed this place before or even never notice of this place before? And what they can really find on January 26, well after cleaning work finished?
They used aerial footage taken just after the tornado to see what the damage looked like pre-cleanup.

Reaction score
they said they used aerial imagery from december 11 as an aid....but i still question it. doesnt excuse the very inaccurate ratings and rushed initial surveys in mayfield and Cambridge shores.

Reaction score
if they had got the office responsible for surveying the nashville and cookeville tornadoes on march 3rd 2020 involved we might have had a far more complete and accurate survey much sooner.

Reaction score
my question is.....why was the bremen area completed before those bigger towns? bremen's damage was a few small rows of homes damaged/destroyed. while mayfield, cambridge shores, princeton, and dawson springs where far in a way the worst impacted areas for amount of damage and di's.

CalebRoutt

Reaction score
Remember the Tuscaloosa-Birmingham tornado 27 April 2011 was believed solid for 200+ miles. But it lifted very briefly in Tarrant then touched back down in Center Point. It just so happens my dad & aunts live(d) within that very narrow window when the tornado lifted. Had that storm not cycled they might not be here.
Tornadoes don’t “lift” but instead a separate cyclic tornado developed after the 1st one dissipated

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the SigTor thread, but I finally have an answer about one of the Cambridge Shores homes that never left my mind (76 Kentucky Avenue). Looks like it was on an above ground CMU foundation and thus not well constructed. So, that's another home ruled out as a true EF5 candidate. However 96 Kentucky Avenue remains a mystery...
damage-vehicle-parked-amid-debris-following-a-tornado-in-cambridge-picture-id1237215019

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here's the clearest, closest view of 96 Kentucky Avenue using an enhanced screenshot of WxChasing's 4K drone footage. It does appear to at least have sill plating and what COULD be an anchor bolt (emphasis on the word "could") next to some of the sill plating. Remains an open question on my end.
Screenshot_20220316-125506_Brave.jpg

buckeye05

Reaction score
Here's the clearest, closest view of 96 Kentucky Avenue using an enhanced screenshot of WxChasing's 4K drone footage. It does appear to at least have sill plating and what COULD be an anchor bolt (emphasis on the word "could") next to some of the sill plating. Remains an open question on my end.
View attachment 12582
If that stem wall is poured concrete, that’s a decent EF5 candidate. Reminds me of the Elie, MB EF5 house, at least in terms of construction.

I will say the contextual damage in Elie was a bit more severe (total debarking, severe mangling of vehicles) than what occurred at Cambridge Shores though.

There were also a few poured concrete stem wall foundation homes in Cambridge Shores built into the hillside next to the lake that were swept away, subflooring and all, but were rated 170 MPH which seems a bit low.

Last edited:

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Something I noticed about Mayfield is that the distance vehicles were moved wasn't as impressive as some other extremely violent tornadoes. Throughout the large majority of the violent damage swath, vehicles were moved 100 yards at the most with only really one clear case of a vehicle being thrown >200 yards in the area that had aerial imagery taken. This was the red car near the candle factory which was thrown ~205-250 yards. Reportedly several vehicles were moved a "few hundred yards" in the worst-hit areas of Bremen (of which no high-res aerial imagery exists.) Obviously vehicle movement isn't everything but still something to note.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Something I noticed about Mayfield is that the distance vehicles were moved wasn't as impressive as some other extremely violent tornadoes. Throughout the large majority of the violent damage swath, vehicles were moved 100 yards at the most with only really one clear case of a vehicle being thrown >200 yards in the area that had aerial imagery taken. This was the red car near the candle factory which was thrown ~205-250 yards. Reportedly several vehicles were moved a "few hundred yards" in the worst-hit areas of Bremen (of which no high-res aerial imagery exists.) Obviously vehicle movement isn't everything but still something to note.
In terms of vehicle damage, I can’t not be impressed by what it did to that tanker truck in Mayfield though. I’m not sure how far it was thrown, but it was left almost unrecognizable.

Reaction score
theres a structure or something in mayfield where theres a bunch of cars sitting in the middle of the track covered in debris but look relatively undamaged. sure they're damaged but im pretty sure you could have ridden out the tornado in those cars...had they not been impaled. which some didnt seem to be.

Reaction score
how or why the mayfield tornado didnt move many vehicles in some places while clearly doing strong to violent damage is baffleing

pohnpei

Reaction score
There was another vehicle later collected beside that missing CMU foundation house once inside the swimming pool of the house East of it. If this is true, then the distance It tossed was over 200yards.
267788854_10223782217516383_715814426730846211_n.jpgIMG_0446.jpg
The chemical tank damage in Mayfield was weird. I looked aerial footage There over and over, yet failed to find the trace of it.
Another point is, for mayfield, we actually can measure the distance of one vehicle moved through satellite. It become less credible when there was only ambiguous estimation present, which was the case for many tornados in the past. I won't be surprised If there was a trend to overestimate the distance of vehicles tossed several decades ago.
Like the red car in factory, first claimed to be tossed about half mile, then 300 yards, which none of these estimation was accurate.

pohnpei

Reaction score
View attachment 12582
I would hesitate to call It EF5 damage even If It was decently built. The contextual here clearly not EF5 level. Treefall pattern, debarking, vehicle damage all didn't close to that level. Actually very few vehicle damage can be found in Cambridge shore.Debarking to softwood was sporadic at best.
Alsonsa tornado 2018 also had this kinds of foundation clearly very well anchored in place. But the contextual didn't scream EF5 like Eile did.

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I would hesitate to call It EF5 damage even If It was decently built. The contextual here clearly not EF5 level. Treefall pattern, debarking, vehicle damage all didn't close to that level. Actually very few vehicle damage can be found in Cambridge shore.Debarking to softwood was sporadic at best.
Alsonsa tornado 2018 also had this kinds of foundation clearly very well anchored in place. But the contextual didn't scream EF5 like Eile did.
Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree. I can accept that the tornado wasn't at peak intensity in this area but some of the context does get overlooked
Screenshot_20220316-181531.jpg
The concrete porch slab of the CMU foundation home at bottom left was dislodged and broken according to a survivor's relative. You can tell it is shifted, though interestingly the truck remained parked nearby.

More vehicle damage, though on the other side where the larger homes were swept away
Screenshot_20220316-180114.jpg
Screenshot_20220316-181221.jpg
What appears to be a shipping container (or tractor trailer) tossed, very near the aformentioned home

pohnpei

Reaction score
Sorry but I'm going to have to disagree. I can accept that the tornado wasn't at peak intensity in this area but some of the context does get overlooked
View attachment 12587
The concrete porch slab of the CMU foundation home at bottom left was dislodged and broken according to a survivor's relative. You can tell it is shifted, though interestingly the truck remained parked nearby.

More vehicle damage, though on the other side where the larger homes were swept away
View attachment 12591
View attachment 12592
What appears to be a shipping container (or tractor trailer) tossed, very near the aformentioned home
No doubt of violent intensity here. Just said not EF5 level. Most trees here were softwoods with piles of debris hitting but little debarking. The red vehicle in second pic was the only mangled vehicle I can found in Cambridge Shore. EF5 tornado tends to do more than that imho.

Reaction score
No doubt of violent intensity here. Just said not EF5 level. Most trees here were softwoods with piles of debris hitting but little debarking. The red vehicle in second pic was the only mangled vehicle I can found in Cambridge Shore. EF5 tornado tend to do more than that imho.
In this area what likely happened to the vehicles was they collided with houses & that likely damaged them much more and is likely one reason they didn't travel as far as in other EF5-type tornadoes.

Back