• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX December 10 & 11, 2021 Severe Threat

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score

Catastrophic damage in/near Bremen, near where that above video was taken.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Catastrophic damage in/near Bremen, near where that above video was taken.

I was worried we would see catastrophic damage in the smaller communities in the path of these horrific tornadoes. Any word from (but not limited to) Hornersville, Hayti, Wynnburg, Samburg, Woodland Mills, State Line, Crutchfield, Benton, Cambridge Shores, Princeton, Dawson Springs, Earlington, Hartford or Olaton?

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
266830541_10105567398356343_1049762057898567177_n.png

Total devastation in Dawson Springs. Tuscaloosa/Joplin-esque.

WhirlingWx

Reaction score
Cambridge Shores

Edit: the Twitter post is how I got to the video that is said to now be unavailable if linking directly from FB, but I can still open it from the tweet link.

"Gone" is obviously a strong word but I think I see a couple slabs here too (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I have relatives that live in Kentucky and thankfully can report they were all spared by last night's storms... but my heart goes out to all those who were in the path of these horrific tornadoes.

Evan

Reaction score
Or lack there of. Total absence of anchor bolts with that foundation. Can’t rate that higher than EF3, but I’m sure there were other more well-built structures that would warrant a higher rating.

Generally speaking the construction quality of homes and buildings in a lot of Kentucky is superior to that of what is found in say Alabama or Mississippi. With such a long and broad damage path, I have little doubt that there will be a decent number of structures that can qualify for EF-5 damage if the DIs are there.

That picture, obviously, is not an example of what I'm referring to.

I lived in Kentucky for a period of time and was somewhat surprised by the general quality of construction that I observed. Granted, this is not a hard and fast rule across the board, and I am less familiar with this particular part of Kentucky.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
High end damage in Samburg TN from the first of the long tracked tornadoes from the main supercell (this was the tri-state tornado that initially struck the nursing home in Monette AR).

264702813_10216604402097344_4472057822254427690_n.png