• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX December 10 & 11, 2021 Severe Threat

Evan

Reaction score
Based on initial information, Mayfield KY looks like a definite EF5 candidate. Defiance MO and Bowling Green KY may well be rated low-end EF4.
There's not really a doubt that Mayfield is an EF-5, IMO. As clear-cut as it gets. Construction quality in these kinds of towns in Kentucky is definitely quite good/above average.

Truly a remarkable event. Don't know that the overall event will compare to 4/27 or Super Outbreak I, but the Mayfield storm easily compares to Hackleburg/Rainsville/Moore, etc. It's going to be one of the top tornadoes of all-time. Period.

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Luckily the QLCS seems to have behaved across central AL, but daylight imagery is the exact kind of horror show I feared it was probably going to be. This one will definitely be in the history books

Brice Wood

Reaction score
There's not really a doubt that Mayfield is an EF-5, IMO. As clear-cut as it gets. Construction quality in these kinds of towns in Kentucky is definitely quite good/above average.

Truly a remarkable event. Don't know that the overall event will compare to 4/27 or Super Outbreak I but the Mayfield storm easily compares to Hackleburg/Rainsville/Moore, etc. It's going to be one of the top tornadoes of all-time. Period.
Not mention this tornado has g2g of 283 Mph which is the strongest in doppler radar history, exceeding Tuscaloosa and Greesnburg, just one example why this tornado is going in the history books.

WhirlingWx

Reaction score
Welp. Clearest view of slabs I've seen so far. Obviously construction/anchoring and contextual damage needs to be considered.

I really hope that they've already searched the area and found nobody hurt... It's disturbing because I imagine that most people would be home at that time of night.

Reaction score

The Mayfield tornado when it was near Bremen, just a massive wedge.

There is a Twitter post claiming measured 303MPH gate-to-gate near this location. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility with the other known measured values.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Welp. Clearest view of slabs I've seen so far. Obviously anchoring and contextual damage needs to be considered.

I really hope that they've already searched the area and found nobody hurt... It's disturbing because I imagine that most people would be home at that time of night.

Or lack there of. Total absence of anchor bolts with that foundation. Can’t rate that higher than EF3, but I’m sure there were other more well-built structures that would warrant a higher rating.

WhirlingWx

Reaction score
Or lack there of. Total absence of anchor bolts with that foundation. Can’t rate that higher than EF3, but I’m sure there were other more well-built structures that would warrant a higher rating.
Yeah, also saw a before image of the house right after posting that and it's really a small, not well-built home, but didn't want to comment too soon and have it sound like I was somehow minimizing the damage (which of course, I know that you are not doing that either by any means). Agree with the bolded as well obviously

akt1985

Reaction score
According to the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky’s Facebook page, the museum itself was spared but the Motorsports Park next to the museum had significant damage.