• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

COVID-19 detected in United States

Jacob

Reaction score
This is my opinion only... I think when we hit 150 million vaccinations (150 million with at least 1 dose), then pull mandatory restrictions and make any mask wearing / social distancing / etc optional to the discretion of the individual. Currently we have vaxed about 65 M and are vaxing at about 1.5 M per day and that should ramp up to 2 M in another week or 2. We should be close to 150 M by mid April if things go well

I agree with the general concept, though I think it needs to be more targeted towards % of at-risk people as opposed to X overall number of people. 55+ make up 93% of the deaths, but there's only ~94M in that age group. If you expand that down to 45 and older, which makes up 97%+ of deaths, there's still only ~135 million people.

Jacob

Reaction score
Another interesting tidbit as far as the flu and other non-COVID viruses go. The flu wasn't the only virus that COVID-19 pushed out, other coronaviruses have been mostly pushed out, as well as noroviruses, the flu, and a few others. Over the last month there's been a noticable up-tick in other coronavirus activity as well as norovirus activity. Perhaps this could be a sign that a bit of herd-immunity to COVID-19 is kicking in, and perhaps might help limit another large surge later in the year.

First image is other coronaviruses, the second image is noroviruses (both in the US)

EvG8I4_XIAIrfO9

EvG3bj6WYAMjERt

ARCC

Reaction score
Another interesting tidbit as far as the flu and other non-COVID viruses go. The flu wasn't the only virus that COVID-19 pushed out, other coronaviruses have been mostly pushed out, as well as noroviruses, the flu, and a few others. Over the last month there's been a noticable up-tick in other coronavirus activity as well as norovirus activity. Perhaps this could be a sign that a bit of herd-immunity to COVID-19 is kicking in, and perhaps might help limit another large surge later in the year.

First image is other coronaviruses, the second image is noroviruses (both in the US)

EvG8I4_XIAIrfO9

EvG3bj6WYAMjERt

As Covid has disappeared in the past month, I’ve heard of a lot more stomach bugs. This week I’ve heard of a family getting strep throat(been a long time) and two families getting a stomach bug in my small sphere of influence. Unfortunately one of them is mine. A whole year without it and all of a sudden, bam! Thankfully it is not a real bad strain and is the eight to ten hour variety. It’s also not hitting us all at the same time.

Jacob

Reaction score
)
As Covid has disappeared in the past month, I’ve heard of a lot more stomach bugs. This week I’ve heard of a family getting strep throat(been a long time) and two families getting a stomach bug in my small sphere of influence. Unfortunately one of them is mine. A whole year without it and all of a sudden, bam! Thankfully it is not a real bad strain and is the eight to ten hour variety. It’s also not hitting us all at the same time.

That’s interesting to hear, and it’s been much the same in my sphere. Had a coworker miss Tuesday/Wednesday this week with a stomach bug, and in the last hour my daughter has woken up throwing up, and it feels like I may be next.

ARCC

Reaction score
)

That’s interesting to hear, and it’s been much the same in my sphere. Had a coworker miss Tuesday/Wednesday this week with a stomach bug, and in the last hour my daughter has woken up throwing up, and it feels like I may be next.

Whew, you have my prayers there. There is nothing like the waiting game when you could be next and wondering if the yuck you feel is virus or mental. I’ve been spared so far as well and I pray it stays that way.

Jacob

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how far hospitalizations in Alabama fall as we head into March. Probably the best gauge of where things stand is the # hospitalized per hospital, since the # hospitalized in the state changes based on how many hospitals are reporting data.

In the state of AL, that average peaked in July at a little over 16 per hospital, and then fell until early September where it bottomed out around 7. It stayed near that for 3-4 weeks before starting to rise in early October. It peaked again in early January at a little over 30 patients per hospital, and has been falling like a rock ever since. As of this afternoon, we are under 9 per hospital, and it has been dropping at a steady rate for about 6 weeks. If we continue to fall at the current rate (about -3 per week), we'll be under September lows by this time next week.

As of today, both the # reported hospitalized in Alabama and the average # hospitalized per hospital are at their lowest levels since June 15, 2020

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Going to be watching the numbers this week. It seems like the steep drop in cases over the last few weeks looked to flatten last week. Hope to see the drop pick back up steam.

Jacob

Reaction score
Going to be watching the numbers this week. It seems like the steep drop in cases over the last few weeks looked to flatten last week. Hope to see the drop pick back up steam.

Looks like much of the temporary rise last week across the country was largely due to a drop in testing the previous week from the winter storm. , I suspect the rate of decline should start slowing (if it hasn't already) but fortunately last week like a false rise.

Jacob

Reaction score
Texas and Mississippi both announced today that they are ending their mask mandates and removing all other restrictions. From the state level, both are 100% open.

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score
Texas and Mississippi both announced today that they are ending their mask mandates and removing all other restrictions. From the state level, both are 100% open.

Makes little sense for Texas to do this now as compared to two weeks ago as their numbers have started to rise again recently (although not by a huge amount). I think we all have mask fatigue, and we could all debate their effectiveness to death, but I don't think Abbott is doing it for that reason. I think it is EXTREMELY obvious why he's choosing *right now* to do this. It's almost as if he has something he needs to distract from.

No comment on Mississippi. I think it would've been sensible to wait another month or two but I can't say their governor is doing it for nakedly political reasons.

Evan

Reaction score
I seriously cannot believe how badly school re-openings are being handled. There shouldn't be a single school on remote learning at this point.

The CDC is losing what little credibility that they still have

I'm sick of people cherry-picking science or refusing to update their priors as new conclusive evidence emerges. Schools are safe. I cannot imagine what I'd be thinking if my children's schools were engaging in such ridiculous fear-mongering.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Bama Tracker reported over 2700 new cases today but Covid World O Meter only reported 619 new cases for Alabama. Why the big difference and why the big jump in cases on Bama Tracker?

Jacob

Reaction score
Bama Tracker reported over 2700 new cases today but Covid World O Meter only reported 619 new cases for Alabama. Why the big difference and why the big jump in cases on Bama Tracker?

Major backlog of cases reported from a lab. WOM's number is more representative of what today's report should've been.

EvkHbUKWgAU9dj0

Jacob

Reaction score
I seriously cannot believe how badly school re-openings are being handled. There shouldn't be a single school on remote learning at this point.

The CDC is losing what little credibility that they still have

I'm sick of people cherry-picking science or refusing to update their priors as new conclusive evidence emerges. Schools are safe. I cannot imagine what I'd be thinking if my children's schools were engaging in such ridiculous fear-mongering.

It's really unfortunate to see how the CDC is operating in regards to schools, but unfortunately it's not just limited to school closings.

They put out the following tweet today, knowing full-well it is misleading at best. This will only cause more people to mistrust them, and at this point, maybe they should.

Add in that it had leaked that the CDC was going to announce new guidelines for vaccinated people, which included giving the OK to gathering indoors and unmasked, only to have the White House have them delay that announcement.

Evan

Reaction score
It's really unfortunate to see how the CDC is operating in regards to schools, but unfortunately it's not just limited to school closings.

They put out the following tweet today, knowing full-well it is misleading at best. This will only cause more people to mistrust them, and at this point, maybe they should.

Add in that it had leaked that the CDC was going to announce new guidelines for vaccinated people, which included giving the OK to gathering indoors and unmasked, only to have the White House have them delay that announcement.

Totally agree. I didn't like it when the last admin interfered with the CDC and pressured them and I think the new admin is doing the exact same thing. We need the CDC to be independent and as insulated from politics at a sensible level.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
We have a drive thru testing station near my house that I drive by regularly. 2-3 weeks ago I would only see 1-2 cars there and often 0 cars in line. This week it’s been 3-5 cars and this morning 8. Hope this isn’t a reverse of the downward trend of February

Jacob

Reaction score
CDC with another knee-slapper of a study released today. Here's the info-graphic they tweeted out, which is what probably 95+% of people will see and not read the study.

Evum6y-XIAIs9eU

Feel like this propaganda graphic would be a little less effective if it said it showed what the study actually says, which is that it slowed the case/death rate by about 1%. That's not even taking into account the way they cherry picked reference periods and the data they used.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
#Breaking CDC issues long-awaited new guidance, saying that fully vaccinated people can gather without masks

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I was hoping this would be the week in Alabama when we would stay under 500 cases each day for the whole week. Yesterday was great... today not so good

Back