• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

COVID-19 detected in United States

Jacob

Reaction score
Sounds like good news and coincides with what I've seen at the hospital and the covid clinic. The past few days there has been an extremely noticable drop in visitation for Covid-19 symptoms. Especially on Saturday, the covid section if the ER was 1-2/3rds empty for the majority of the day. Everyone was astounded and very happy after the massive influx we've seen in the past few weeks. I hope that trend continues.

Glad to hear it. Huntsville Hospital's numbers reflect that drop now too. Yesterday they reported 403 patients system-wide, down from a high of 507 earlier this month. ICU patients also down to 114 from a high of 133.

East Alabama Medical Center's system looks to be seeing a drop now to, yesterday they reported 77 inpatients, down from a high of 92 less than a week ago.

Waiting on UAB's numbers, I didn't see an update for them yesterday, I assume due to MLK day.

DCH's system has seen a slight uptick in the last few days in patient numbers, but their ICU and vent numbers haven't changed much over the last couple weeks. Slight uptick in general patients could be college students getting checked out after all the celebrations in Tuscaloosa last week. Will have to see what those numbers do over the next week.

I don't know where to find the numbers (haven't really searched much, to be honest) to compare for the central or southern parts of the state.

Edit: Huntsville Hospital's system now down to 384 after today's report

Last edited:

Jacob

Reaction score
6 countries today reported single day death totals that were higher per capita than the worst US day, which so far has been Jan at 4482. This isn't to minimize what's going on in America, just showing how many other areas are struggling similarly.

Those 6 countries were the United Kingdom, Ireland, Portugal, Slovakia, South Africa, and Germany

Jacob

Reaction score
WHO released some new guidelines today, basically a positive COVID case needs to have a positive PCR test + symptoms, or a confirming positive test using a different method. This will drastically reduce numbers all by itself if the US adopts this policy.

Jacob

Reaction score
Here's an updated version of the gif I posted a while back showing the progression of the virus in terms of hospitalizations per million per state. This is the 7 day moving average. It's impressive how quickly things turned around in the last two weeks all across the south, west, even parts of the NE.

Jan21-Weekly.gif

Jacob

Reaction score
Nationally, hospitalizations peaked on Jan 6th and are down almost 15% since then.

In Alabama, hospitalizations peaked in January 11, and in the last 12 days are down about 27%.

If, and big IF, this thing follows similar seasonality patterns as the flu (and assuming the vaccines start to help), we'll be down below September lows by the start of April.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Nationally, hospitalizations peaked on Jan 6th and are down almost 15% since then.

In Alabama, hospitalizations peaked in January 11, and in the last 12 days are down about 27%.

If, and big IF, this thing follows similar seasonality patterns as the flu (and assuming the vaccines start to help), we'll be down below September lows by the start of April.
I think a lot of this is due to the last of the holidays where people gather in large groups and in close proximity are 3 and 4 weeks behind us. We still have St Patricks Day and Spring Break in March which may well produce another surge in early April but shouldn't be as bad as we've seen the last 3 wks

Last edited:

Jacob

Reaction score
I think a lot of this is due to the last of the holidays where people gather in large groups and in close proximity are 3 and 4 weeks behind us. We still have St Patricks Day and Spring Break in March which may well produce another surge in early April but shouldn't be as bad as we've seen the last 3 wks

I think that likely influenced it some, but I disagree that it was a primary driver. The upper midwest states that peaked late November started dropping and dropped all through December into January (and are still decreasing). Other states like Michigan and Colorado peaked right after Thanksgiving/at the start of December, and have been in a steady decline since with seemingly no effect from Christmas and New Years.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Happy Belated Birthday to this thread

weatherguy01

Reaction score
I read a article in Washington post that weather stations are having tough time populating weather data as all airlines are halted.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Alabama moving to phase 1B beginning February 8th. This includes people over 65 and the following:

• First responders
  • Corrections officers
  • Food and agriculture workers
  • U.S. Postal Service workers
  • Manufacturing workers
  • Grocery store workers
  • Public transit workers
  • People who work in the education sector (teachers, support staff, community college and higher education)
  • Childcare workers
  • Judiciary (including but not limited to) circuit judges, district judges and district attorneys

Jacob

Reaction score
Things continue to improve here in Alabama. Hospitalizations fell to their lowest level since Nov 27, and they are now below the summer peak as well.

Hospitalizations are continuing to decrease in every region.

Iowa will be a good experiment over the new few months. They just eliminated their mask mandate, as well as eliminated social distancing requirements for social gatherings/businesses. Perhaps "experiment" is too strong of a word, I can tell you how it'll go there. They'll follow the same pattern as neighboring states that have much stricter requirements (whether that pattern is good or bad, it is improving still at the moment), but they'll get negative press for it.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I was able to schedule a covid vaccine through a local walmart market place store for next week.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I was able to schedule a covid vaccine through a local walmart market place store for next week.
Could you tell me how I can? I'm over 65 with an underlying condition and I've registered on 2 different sites and have yet to hear from anyone about an appointment

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I went to the walmart covid page (you'll have to create a walmart.com account) and then selected a store. At first it said no appointments available but I kept refreshing the page and selecting nearby stores, refreshing, and finally an appointment popped up for next week. I entered the information and it was confirmed. That method has worked for a couple people so its worth trying. You might try Sam's to. You don't have to be a member.

Jacob

Reaction score
Here's the latest gif I've created, up through yesterday. I decided to go with hospitalization rate instead of change in hospitalization because while it shows what areas are rolling over well, it doesn't show the actual picture well for most areas.

Fortunately, all areas continue to decrease at a steady rate. No signs yet that any variant is causing a new increase in cases, that'll be the main thing to watch for over the next month. If a variant doesn't cause an increase in cases, we should see a continued decrease in hospitalizations until the summer, at which point hopefully enough of the vulnerable will have been vaccinated (and they work anywhere near as well as advertised) that the hospitalization numbers don't rise all that much over the summer.

Feb11-Hosp-Gif.gif

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I went to the walmart covid page (you'll have to create a walmart.com account) and then selected a store. At first it said no appointments available but I kept refreshing the page and selecting nearby stores, refreshing, and finally an appointment popped up for next week. I entered the information and it was confirmed. That method has worked for a couple people so its worth trying. You might try Sam's to. You don't have to be a member.
I tried that with all the stores in our area and never did find an appointment for the next week. I didn't try refreshing the page. Will give that a shot... thanks

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I tried that with all the stores in our area and never did find an appointment for the next week. I didn't try refreshing the page. Will give that a shot... thanks

I had a friend that was able to book an appointment for 6:40 a.m. one day next week. They'll be getting started early!

Logo 468x120
Back