• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

COVID-19 detected in United States

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
My mother in law (89) and father in law (92) have COVID-19.
My mother in law went into the hospital with symptoms around Easter weekend. Her test was negative and she went home a week later. She was home 5 days and her breathing got worse so they admitted her again, her test was positive.
My sister in law was also sick and taking care of her mother when she came home. My sis in law is getting her antibodies checked, she had symptoms along with the loss of taste and smell.
My father in law started showing symptoms and he’s been in the hospital for a week.
My mother in law is recovering amazingly and that’s after her being so sick, she was almost intubated.
My father in law has dementia but is hanging in there and has been eating.
The isolation this virus causes is as dangerous as the virus.
We can’t see them, love on them or anything.
They’ve been married for 66 years, I wish they’d at least let them see each other.

All we can figure out is either she caught it from a postal worker (they live in Montgomery) that tested positive right after she had mailed something or from going to Publix during “senior hours” and going to Dollar General.

We begged her not to go out that we’d order what she needed.

This virus is real, highly contagious and we’re praying not deadly!!
I'm so glad that they have done so well with the disease at their age (even though they have been so seriously ill). Were they given any of the drug treatments that we hear about hydroxychloroquine with Z-pac and zinc or Remdesivir?

skelly

Reaction score
I’m praying for them to pull through. A lot of people have even older people. Thanks for sharing because it is a reminder or wake up call we all need. The scariest thing is coming down with a bad case then being hospitalized and facing possibly passing away separated from loved ones because they are going to have you strictly quarantined...

Evan

Reaction score
Lori, so sorry to hear about your in-laws. I pray that they recover fully and that you all get to spend quality time with them very soon. The isolation this virus causes is an additional tragic side-effect that is often under-appreciated. It's a very rough thing to go through.

Evan

Reaction score
Yesterday Alabama had over 300 news cases once again. More importantly, there were 37 deaths yesterday -- the highest such death toll in a day since the pandemic began in Alabama. Thus, it is abundantly clear that we did not hit our peak back in April as many of us had hoped.

Additionally, the 14 day new case average is at an all time high. Finally, I found a data source for the % positive of tests conducted in a day. Over the past few few weeks, our % positive has been trending up even though daily testing numbers have stayed in line with recent averages. An increasingly higher % of people have tested positive since about April 30th even though tests per day have been almost flat. We're not talking about huge jumps, but significant enough that the 7 day average for % positive is well above it's low around April 28th or so (influenced by that giant batch of 18k tests).

Evan

Reaction score
Yesterday, May 13th, was a good day. Reduction in the number of new cases (only 232), and we only had 10 deaths. Unfortunately, today is shaping up to be nasty. Somehow, as of noon, we had 195 cases and 16 deaths. Almost assuredly going to blow away the new case number from yesterday, and we've obviously already surpassed the deaths number.

I still maintain a lot of this relates to testing and reporting times, so looking at the 7/14 day trends are the best way to see what is happening.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I saw on Lori's FB that her father in law has taken a turn for the worse. Praying that things turn around for him

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm so glad that they have done so well with the disease at their age (even though they have been so seriously ill). Were they given any of the drug treatments that we hear about hydroxychloroquine with Z-pac and zinc or Remdesivir?
“Nanny” was given hydroxychloroquine but it was causing cardiac rhythm problems but she had two days of it and her lungs responded well. And you saw on FB how Pop Pop is doing.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Y’all despite what so many are saying, the danger of this virus is not over, especially for the State of Alabama. Thank God the projections were off but it doesn’t take away from the fact to keep being diligent in protecting yourself and loved ones.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My father in law has passed away from complications due to COVID-19. Please keep my husband and his family in your prayers.
Please pray that Nathan, my step-daughter nor nieces catch it although they were wearing a lot of protective covering.
My mother in law got to see her husband of 66 years and tell him goodbye.
She was discharged today. So far she’s survived the virus as well as two other immediate family members.

skelly

Reaction score
My father in law has passed away from complications due to COVID-19. Please keep my husband and his family in your prayers.
Please pray that Nathan, my step-daughter nor nieces catch it although they were wearing a lot of protective covering.
She was discharged today. So far she’s survived the virus as well as two other immediate family members.
I’m very sorry and will remember you all in prayers.
Again thank you for sharing on talkweather.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

I'm so sorry! Prayers for everyone!!

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yesterday, May 13th, was a good day. Reduction in the number of new cases (only 232), and we only had 10 deaths. Unfortunately, today is shaping up to be nasty. Somehow, as of noon, we had 195 cases and 16 deaths. Almost assuredly going to blow away the new case number from yesterday, and we've obviously already surpassed the deaths number.

I still maintain a lot of this relates to testing and reporting times, so looking at the 7/14 day trends are the best way to see what is happening.

+401 new cases today so far and +23 deaths. Your prediction about today was spot on.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Lori.. God Bless and comfort you, Nathan, and all of his family. I am so sorry

Evan

Reaction score

Lori, I am so incredibly sorry. :( Was praying and hoping for the best possible outcome. I truly hate to see this happen to you Nathan, and your family. My condolences.

Evan

Reaction score
Today seems like it may be a better day. Only 115 new cases as of 1pm, and thus far only 3 COVID deaths have been reported (by no means do I mean to minimize any death that occurs due to COVID).

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Knowledge is something that helps overcome fear and frustration. Johns Hopkins is offering a Coursera on COVID and tracing and it's free thanks to a foundation. I take a Coursera specialization on another topic but just signed up for this COVID one. If anyone is interested, it's https://www.coursera.org/promo/covid-19-contact-tracing . You have to use the website to get the discount, not the app, and have to get a Coursera account, but that's legit (have used them for years) and free.

Lori, I am very sorry for your loss.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
so if you are a family of 4 do you still have to get your own individual bumper table? That could be a parents' worst nightmare. I know it would have been for my folks!

skelly

Reaction score
so if you are a family of 4 do you still have to get your own individual bumper table? That could be a parents' worst nightmare. I know it would have been for my folks!

That’s just annoying. I would just not go there.

Back