• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

COVID-19 detected in United States

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully hospitals will be able to test for the virus very soon. I can't imagine we will know the true extent of infection until then.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
John Hopkins University reports there are now 1001 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the United States. 28 deaths have been reported bringing the mortality rate to 2.8% here. The global mortality rate is 3.6%.

Keep washing those hands.

Kory

Reaction score
I still believe the mortality rate is skewed, maybe greatly, too high due to the fact many younger/healthier people with minor symptoms were getting chalked up as a cold and not actually COVID-19. Only the more severe cases were getting tallied now that we’re testing for it somewhat.

Jacob

Reaction score
I still believe the mortality rate is skewed, maybe greatly, too high due to the fact many younger/healthier people with minor symptoms were getting chalked up as a cold and not actually COVID-19. Only the more severe cases were getting tallied now that we’re testing for it somewhat.

It's been on American soil for at least 6 weeks now, if not a few longer than that. As easily as it can supposedly spread, I don't see how the real number of cases wouldn't be 10 or 100 fold higher than what the "official" number is, given the lack of testing up to this point. Our numbers will increase dramatically over the next 1-2 weeks, even if only from the increased testing. NYC is an interesting study, in that they've had a second peak develop in "influenza like illness" over the last couple weeks, while their data from the past 4 flu seasons shows no secondary peak into March. Could those be COVID-19 cases showing up, or just people wanting to get checked out because of fearing it might be COVID-19? Probably a combination of both. Here's the data for NYC https://a816-health.nyc.gov/hdi/epiquery/visualizations?PageType=ps&PopulationSource=Syndromic

Edit: Couldn't get the above link to post the information I wanted to. You have to click on the 2020 count number (around 26k), then on the screen that takes you to select "Aggregate by Day" instead of by Month.

In addition to all the mild cases that have surely been missed, I also wonder how many flu/pneumonia deaths may have actually been COVID-19 over the last month.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Mass cancellations of large gathers seem to be picking up steam.

Even Church gatherings and conferences are being cancelled or postponed. I just received the notification from a set of conferences around the country for Celebrate Recovery are being postponed. I am ready for this hysteria to go away. This is just getting nuts.

Kory

Reaction score
Even Church gatherings and conferences are being cancelled or postponed. I just received the notification from a set of conferences around the country for Celebrate Recovery are being postponed. I am ready for this hysteria to go away. This is just getting nuts.
Just wait til the economy is wrecked, layoffs start, and then we’ve created a recession over something where if we did have a vaccine available, I don’t think even half the country would get it. The media, and many in general, thrive off of hysteria and panic.

I know several people who work in finance at hotels in New Orleans...they’re losing on average $50,000 a week on cancelled events and people freaking out. Yes, layoffs are already being discussed to offset losses.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Breaking: The National Collegiate Athletic Association has announced the upcoming men’s and women’s basketball tournaments (March Madness) will be played with “only essential staff and limited family attendance,”

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Breaking: The National Collegiate Athletic Association has announced the upcoming men’s and women’s basketball tournaments (March Madness) will be played with “only essential staff and limited family attendance,”

That is going to really take away from the sport. That is sad.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That is going to really take away from the sport. That is sad.
The Final Four might not be at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta after all.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The President will address the nation from the Oval Office tonight at 9pm EDT/8pm CDT.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Mass cancellations of large gathers seem to be picking up steam.
Anything over 1,000 is now banned in D.C. Probably only a matter of time before the museum I work at shuts down and I'm stuck working from home...

gangstonc

Reaction score
This is what must be done to avoid a problem. If we don’t do it, our hospitals will be overwhelmed and then there will really be hysteria. Doctors in Italy aren’t triaging patients to determine priority, but to determine who to TREAT.

I don’t see how cancelling church sessions is a big deal.

Last edited:

Kory

Reaction score
I think the goal would be to include it in the flu vaccine, like was done for h1n1.
And I’m back to my original point that only 30-40% of Americans get vaccinated for the flu. We love panic but the majority will likely do nothing about it when the means to actually DO something does become available.

Jacob

Reaction score
And I’m back to my original point that only 30-40% of Americans get vaccinated for the flu. We love panic but the majority will likely do nothing about it when the means to actually DO something does become available.

I would say that would be heavily influenced by how good the vaccine is and how bad this actually ends up getting this go around.

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So Trump is going to ban travel from Europe for 30 days. But you can still get to the USA from the UK or by flying to Canada. Hmmm.....

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The NBA has now suspended their season.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Anything over 1,000 is now banned in D.C. Probably only a matter of time before the museum I work at shuts down and I'm stuck working from home...
I love museums. What type of museum?

Back