• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

COVID-19 detected in United States

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
It feels like longer but Alabama has had it's "Shelter in place" order for about 18 days. Of course there was less strict measures in place before that for a week or two IIRC. The initial deadline hasn't been pushed further out, and I think it's good that it's not ended earlier either. Hopefully the virus will struggle to regain traction with the spring season and people continue to socially distance for awhile, preferably wearing masks in crowded areas and businesses sanitize their shopping carts, bathrooms, door handles etc..

Business is picking back up in the ER and we have a large number of patient rooms unavailable to accommodate normal patient load because they've been converted to covid-19 isolation. I don't think many people expected there would be this struggle to balance how many potential covid-19 rooms we need vs regular rooms. Everyone was all-in on covid outbreak so we adjusted as needed and haven't reversed anything yet. Some days the covid-19 area is overwhelmed and some days the medical area is. Hopefully both don't happen at the same time and people don't go back to using the ER like it's a clinic anytime soon because we don't even have enough rooms for everyone if that happens. That was the case even before 2/5th of the ER was converted and in isolation. Of course not having enough rooms doesn't mean sick people aren't taken care of, just that the sickest have to be prioritized so the less sick have to wait hours for an opportunity to get a room.
Regardless of those complications, I think it's appropriate that we move to reopen. We can handle things at the hospital as long as people aren't having giant Coronavirus parties and crowding restaurants with no distancing. I can't say there won't be problems with too many patients (that's usual business anyway) but anyone truly in need of urgent medical attention will get the care they need immediately and we have the equipment (ventilators, airway tubes) and supplies (medicine, masks) to do it.
At least that's my read right now.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Hopefully both don't happen at the same time and people don't go back to using the ER like it's a clinic anytime soon because we don't even have enough rooms for everyone if that happens. That was the case even before 2/5th of the ER was converted and in isolation.

That's always been a huge pet peeve of mine. I think a lot of people go to the ER for attention and Facebook has seemingly made it worse. "I had to go to the ER" grabs attention and sympathy because it sounds serious.

I imagine it is probably a small percentage of patients but if it is not truly an emergency and you have insurance why take up the space?

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
That's always been a huge pet peeve of mine. I think a lot of people go to the ER for attention and Facebook has seemingly made it worse. "I had to go to the ER" grabs attention and sympathy because it sounds serious.

I imagine it is probably a small percentage of patients but if it is not truly an emergency and you have insurance why take up the space?
In Madison county, it seems like far fewer people use the Madison ER as a clinic.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I follow your analogy I just can’t make it work in my mind with my sons vaccine I’m seeing 8 faulty seat belts...
There are several strains of the flu... they (I'm thinking it's the CDC) tries to predict which strains will be the most likely and prominent in the upcoming flu season and tailor the vaccine for those strains. I think this past flu season, the vaccine was over 60% effective. I didn't get a vaccine for the first time in 25 yrs and got flu A. I asked the doctor when they tested me if I had got the vaccine would I have been protected he said yes.. but he said the vaccine was not effective for flu B with was the 2nd most common strain this past flu season.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Earlier this evening, I had a conversation with my son (who is an MD) and he told me that he had tested positive for Covid19 antibodies. He is a very healthy 31 yr old who works out and runs several times a week. He was suspicious of a respiratory infection he had before Christmas. He and his wife took a long weekend trip to NYC Dec 6-9. About a week after he got back he started coughing and running a low grade fever. He told me he felt very fatigued and the cough got worse. He went and got tested for the flu and it was negative. The 3rd night he was showing symptoms, he woke up and said the felt like he couldn't get air in his lungs. He said he almost had his wife drive him to the ER but didn't. 24 hrs later his fever broke and he felt much better and started resuming normal activities. He said his cough lingered for about 3 weeks.

He had told me a month ago in a conversation, that he was volunteering to work with the critical Covid patients in Austin TX (where he lives). He intubates them when they can no longer breathe on their own. I told him I was proud of him for his courage and compassion but concerned about his exposure. He told me that he actually thought he might have been exposed and contacted it after he got back from NYC in December and told me the story I related above. He found out the positive antibodies test yesterday, so it looks like he did. His wife never showed any symptoms. He was around his wife's parents after coming back from NYC and his father-in-law got a bad respiratory infection a few days after my son did and his symptoms lasted nearly 2 weeks before he got better. He is going to go get tested for Covid antibodies soon.

Jacob

Reaction score
Speaking of the antibody tests, does anybody know if there's anywhere in central Alabama to get tested for them?

Cliffhanger

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm curious about this, too. I would like to know if the respiratory infection I had (fever, fatigue, shortness of breath, very productive cough that dried up after a week and persisted for another two months) was a mild case of Covid, or something different. It developed a few days after an event I attended in mid-December. Some of the guests were from NYC, but none were showing symptoms at the time. I so rarely get sick with anything (other than my chronic respiratory condition which ironically features lack of sense of smell and taste [AERD, if anyone is curious]), it really caught me by surprise. I even had to call out from work two days in a row, something that hasn't happened since 2016.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm curious about this, too. I would like to know if the respiratory infection I had (fever, fatigue, shortness of breath, very productive cough that dried up after a week and persisted for another two months) was a mild case of Covid, or something different. It developed a few days after an event I attended in mid-December. Some of the guests were from NYC, but none were showing symptoms at the time. I so rarely get sick with anything (other than my chronic respiratory condition which ironically features lack of sense of smell and taste [AERD, if anyone is curious]), it really caught me by surprise. I even had to call out from work two days in a row, something that hasn't happened since 2016.
I had bronchitis in mid-March and was sort of concerned, but I never developed a fever and it went away after a few days, so if it was COVID, then it wasn't serious.

skelly

Reaction score
I went to doc in early Feb. I was so tired feeling with some respiratory issues. I was sure they were going say flu or even pneumonia. They all were wearing mask full time already. Tested me. Unknown virus. Sent me home. Steroid shot. Some decongestants rx that I skipped. Several on my circle had similar experience.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score

Kory

Reaction score
I've seen some of the economic/budget projections for higher education enrollment and employment by these institutions due to COVID-19. This will reshape higher education if classes do not return to normal in the fall. This will be a watershed moment and the higher education bubble we have will pop...just a matter of how it looks on the other end.

skelly

Reaction score
I've seen some of the economic/budget projections for higher education enrollment and employment by these institutions due to COVID-19. This will reshape higher education if classes do not return to normal in the fall. This will be a watershed moment and the higher education bubble we have will pop...just a matter of how it looks on the other end.
You’re most likely correct and a similar effect in other areas as well I’m sure.

skelly

Reaction score
Rumors, and I hope there just rumors, but that they are already not planning for “in person” school come August...

Kory

Reaction score
Rumors, and I hope there just rumors, but that they are already not planning for “in person” school come August...
Well yeah, better to prepare/plan for it than not. Shouldn’t hurt to get lesson plans virtual and then just tweak them to be in person.

darkskys25

Reaction score
Are you talking about college? I know the public schools k-12 are definitely planning and expecting to return in the fall. My wife is a 2nd grade teacher. Teachers are supposed to return next week to start planning for the return of students in the fall.

skelly

Reaction score
Are you talking about college? I know the public schools k-12 are definitely planning and expecting to return in the fall. My wife is a 2nd grade teacher. Teachers are supposed to return next week to start planning for the return of students in the fall.
That’s my understanding that it’s going that way but a know it all is talking all this trash today.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
UNA is planning on having students back in the Fall as of right now. We're still doing all online instruction for the May term and all Summer classes. We've been working from home for the last three weeks and last week my supervisor told us that we'd probably not return to campus until June 1. One thing they did announce is no tuition increase next Fall. I'm just hoping we don't have any furloughs over the next 3 months.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Doing my very best to leave politics out of this post so I don't have to give myself a warning point. I think this would be a bad idea at this point to encourage kids to gather daily. Just leave those kids alone and try again in August.

Back