• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

College Football 2017 Season

Jacob

Reaction score
He's a good decoy to have regardless to complicate Smart's preparations. Saban is fully aware that Kirby understands his scheme more than anybody else on this planet, so he's gonna pull out all the stops to try and confuse him.

Regardless, we need to have a open competition this offseason. Hurts once again showed last night that his decision making and throwing ability remains a liability, and I hate to say it but I think he's getting real close to hitting his ceiling as a QB. It could be bias due to my Pacific heritage, but I think Tua can take this offense to greater heights than Jalen can if he gets an offseason to prove himself.

I'll be surprised if Tua isn't the starter next season. However, what'll make Tua great (being a gunslinger type QB) is also what makes him dangerous, especially as a true freshman in a high pressure game.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
As far as the Tua getting time, that is really only a contingency plan. He's practiced quite a bit with first team for Clemson. Don't be surprised if we see him in the national championship on a trick play or something to change momentum if need be.

The game was never in doubt last night, there was no need to put him in.

Jalen missed 2 practices due to illness, hence all the Tua reps. Either the staff purposely fed misleading info or someone took what they saw and ran with it. Considering Savage and Saban talk regularly, I believe the former, unless, as was mentioned, the staff felt like they didn't need to make the change.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'll be surprised if Tua isn't the starter next season. However, what'll make Tua great (being a gunslinger type QB) is also what makes him dangerous, especially as a true freshman in a high pressure game.

Tua has an arm, that's for sure. When I watch him play, though, I see him putting receivers in bad spots but the level of competition he's playing at the time isn't able to take advantage. I'd be lying if I wouldn't be excited to see what he could do if he knew he was playing multiple, consecutive possessions against upper tier competition.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We will have an 8 team playoff within 4 years. I'm VERY hopeful that we get to see the first round in on-campus stadiums sometime in mid-December. Doing an 8 team playoff but forcing fans to travel to 3 bowl games if their team makes it all the way would take away from the magic of the sport.

please no. No expansion. NOOOO!!!!

I do with the semis would be on campus, though. Georgia was seeded higher than Alabama, but had to travel cross country while Bama had to scoot down to NOLA. That didn't seem fair.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Phil Savage was the source and multiple people have confirmed made such a report. I'm not sure how much more credible you can get without talking to Saban himself, so... I don't know what you want me to say.

Edit: Also an article from al.com confirmed the report so.. you're frankly in the wrong with your condescending tone there regardless of whether or not he actually played tonight. For somebody who bashed me for not doing my research, yours seems to be lacking even moreso.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2018/01/tua_tagovailoa_expected_to_pla.html
I'm sorry I offended you with my condescending tone, but it was a reaction to a rumor that I found totally absurd and my sarcasm got the best of me. Your post wasn't the only one I saw stating that Tua would play last night. I saw it posted on Bama message boards, and FaceBook. I assumed it was put out there by the #freetua movement that I've seen popping up here and there who like other knee jerk Bama fans for the last 30 yrs believe the best player on the team is always the 2nd string QB. Tua has had ZERO meaningful minutes this year. When he has played, he has looked great but that was with the first string playing inferior talent with the game already in the bank, so he has had ZERO snaps under pressure and I didn't see any way that Saban would have put him in last night unless Hurts was injured or the game was decided. If he had played I would have been shocked and eating crow today. I may be wrong but I don't think he'll have a series in the NC game against UGA either... doesn't make sense unless Hurts is unable to go or the game is out of hand. My biggest hope, outside of Bama winning next week, is that we will have seen the last game with Dabol as Bama's OC... I hope Saban's chewing him out is a signal.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Tua has an arm, that's for sure. When I watch him play, though, I see him putting receivers in bad spots but the level of competition he's playing at the time isn't able to take advantage. I'd be lying if I wouldn't be excited to see what he could do if he knew he was playing multiple, consecutive possessions against upper tier competition.

Him improving his decision making and ball placement is something that can be taught. AJ McCarron had the gunslinger arm as well and he made some WILD throws in 2011 but he settled down in 2012 and posted the riduclious 30-3 TD-INT ratio.

Kory

Reaction score
Jalen is the safe choice at QB. One INT on the year in 252 attempts. That's truly incredible. There is an obvious reason he started over Tua. We don't see what the staff does in practice...which I've heard he tends to be riskier with passes. Saban doesn't like that....

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
$2,100 to get in the door on Stubhub.

There's a 22 person suite available for $94,000.

Tons of seats available at $25,000.

It appears the 22 person suite has sold, but there is a 30 person suite available for $144,000.

It is now $1,399 to get in the door via Stubhub, a 33% drop in one day. In my experience, ticket prices in the aftermarket bottom out on Thursday and prices go back up(likely tickets that never dropped in price because the seller isn't watching closely). With this game being on a Monday I don't know if that moves the bottom drop date back a day or two or not.

If anyone is planning on attending, two things you need to be aware of:
  • - Weather - potentially
  • - President Trump is said to be attending, so security will be a nightmare.

Kory

Reaction score
Just what downtown Atlanta needs. Snarled traffic and hour long security lines to get in the stadium. Can’t he go golf?

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
starting prices on tickets still hovering in the mid to upper $1,300's.

That 30 person suite has been reduced to a mere $123,000.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Just what downtown Atlanta needs. Snarled traffic and hour long security lines to get in the stadium. Can’t he go golf?

He's too busy planning his tweet in which he takes personal credit for winning the game regardless of which team actually wins.

Kory

Reaction score
Greg McElroy talks a lot for a player that was truly mediocre at Bama. We won in spite of him, not because of him.

Speaking of McElroy, he had a total of 53 passing yards in the 2009 National Title Game vs Texas. Accumulated -27 yards in sacks. Remind me again why Bama fans have the outrage toward Hurts for being 16/24, 120 passing yards, 2 TDs, no INTS, and another 40 on the ground in the Sugar Bowl...

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Now $1,300 on Stubhub to get in the door. Is that the bottom out price or will it drop more since the game is Monday?

The 30 person suite is down to $111,700. It will have to fall to $100,000 before @WesL reserves it for our forum gathering at the game.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Greg McElroy talks a lot for a player that was truly mediocre at Bama. We won in spite of him, not because of him.

Speaking of McElroy, he had a total of 53 passing yards in the 2009 National Title Game vs Texas. Accumulated -27 yards in sacks. Remind me again why Bama fans have the outrage toward Hurts for being 16/24, 120 passing yards, 2 TDs, no INTS, and another 40 on the ground in the Sugar Bowl...
I disagree... McElroy was a good player. Had 39 TDs and 5700 yds in his Bama career. Made it to the NFL and is one of the best upcoming TV sports commentators. Aren't you a Bama fan? Why are you trying to put down GMac?

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Now $1,300 on Stubhub to get in the door. Is that the bottom out price or will it drop more since the game is Monday?

The 30 person suite is down to $111,700. It will have to fall to $100,000 before @WesL reserves it for our forum gathering at the game.

Now $1,200 to get in the door. What a bargain!

Kory

Reaction score
I disagree... McElroy was a good player. Had 39 TDs and 5700 yds in his Bama career. Made it to the NFL and is one of the best upcoming TV sports commentators. Aren't you a Bama fan? Why are you trying to put down GMac?
He has yet to say one positive thing regarding his alma mater in his time as a commentator. He's a try hard as an announcer, who goes too far again and again to create a facade that he has no bias. But in fact, it is over the top. Have you even watched a game with him as color commentator? It's awful...give me Gary Danielson any day.

Kory

Reaction score
LOL at the rumors that Minkah has a lacerated kidney. All because he wasn't spotted in the 5 minute media viewing period. Social media brings out the absolute worst!

He's still dealing with hamstring issues and is on a snap count...

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

LOL I was thinking something closer to $10,000

Back