• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX April 24 - 26 Gulf Coast Severe Event

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
We are expecting severe weather here today but it is mostly a heavy rain threat. The terrain we have here in the edge of the Hill Country makes flash flooding a serious threat. That was one of the biggest differences weather wise I had to get used to between living in Austin and living in Mississippi where you have lots of dirt to absorb the rain. It is a very thin layer of dirt with solid rock underneath, so you can have serious flooding with only a couple of inches of rain, especially when we already have a pretty saturated moisture level in our soils from the recent rains. Couple that with extremely hilly terrain and one of these 2-4 inch thunderstorms can do some major damage.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We are expecting severe weather here today but it is mostly a heavy rain threat. The terrain we have here in the edge of the Hill Country makes flash flooding a serious threat. That was one of the biggest differences weather wise I had to get used to between living in Austin and living in Mississippi where you have lots of dirt to absorb the rain. It is a very thin layer of dirt with solid rock underneath, so you can have serious flooding with only a couple of inches of rain, especially when we already have a pretty saturated moisture level in our soils from the recent rains. Couple that with extremely hilly terrain and one of these 2-4 inch thunderstorms can do some major damage.
I had never really understood the concept of flash flooding until I was working out at Ft. Hood in Killeen, TX. One afternoon, a storm basically appeared out of nowhere and in less than 10 minutes some of the streets looked like they were raging rivers. Never seen water build up that fast before.

Kory

Reaction score
I had never really understood the concept of flash flooding until I was working out at Ft. Hood in Killeen, TX. One afternoon, a storm basically appeared out of nowhere and in less than 10 minutes some of the streets looked like they were raging rivers. Never seen water build up that fast before.
New Orleans city streets nearly once a week during the summer. It's a dirty soup of sewerage, motor oil, and litter after 15 minutes of heavy rain.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score

Yeah it doesn't take much when there is usually only inches of dirt then limestone and then dump a load of rain in a short amount of time like we did in 2018 on the Llano River.

Llano 2018 Flash Flood

TornadoFan

Reaction score
San Augustine, TX appears to have been hit by a significant tornado. Just saw a major CC drop right over town on Radarscope.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
TDS south of Beinville, LA!

This is the same storm that caused the tornado in St. Augustine. It may have also caused several more tornadoes along its path. It has been tornado warned for over 100 miles.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
As long these threats remain south of us... not quite sure Dixie is done quite yet with severe weather this spring ... next weeks trough looking more interesting in 0z models ...

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Bless it Texas and Ruston, LA (I’ve been there), a good bit of damage sustained.

weunice

Reaction score
The 2 deaths was initially reported out of the local Monroe paper and it has since been reported in several regional papers. Looking at the damage near the interstate where the deaths supposedly occurred I can understand. A roof was completely removed from a hotel/apt. complex which exposed the second floor. A local gas station lost its roof and had partial wall failure on about 30% of the structure.

I went to university there back in the late 90's. I had friends who lived in the places that I suspect had the worst damage from the drone coverage I have seen. My feed is filled with it. Sad day indeed :( My cousin also has two kids at Louisiana Tech.

The fatalities were confirmed by the governor - tree down on home from what I am reading.

Last edited:
Logo 468x120
Back