• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX April 22-24th, 2020 Severe Weather Threat

pritchlaw

Reaction score
Feels warmer than I expected after the morning storms passed through in Hayden, 20 minutes north of Birmingham.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
94034491_2917651284940935_2675408044338184192_n.png

Bevo

Reaction score
North Texas seems to have underperformed while up north in Oklahoma there was a nasty line of 4 cells dropping tornadoes off the dryline. I guess the DFW cap must have been stronger than anticipated, although all the ingredients were off the charts. That's the only reason I can really think of that we didn't see what Oklahoma did .

Here's the 5 cell line in action, 4 of which were tornado warned (I think one may have been a PDS, second from bottom)

Pecos Hank on the Madill "rainbow" tornado.

EDIT: one more thing, a pretty shot of all the clouds building up off the dryline in Dallas, though they didn't produce
tp9x9520hhu41.jpg

Just now catching up with the thread, that cell that stretched across Texas into Louisiana yesterday was incredible. I remember watching TV in the early afternoon after that tornado watch for east Texas had been up a while and the meteorologist had thought perhaps they were in for a quieter afternoon than they anticipated. IIRC that's the cell that the HRRR runs consistently picked up on. Do we have a distance that cell traveled/# of tors it dropped yet?

Last edited:

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
North Texas seems to have underperformed while up north in Oklahoma there was a nasty line of 4 cells dropping tornadoes off the dryline. I guess the DFW cap must have been stronger than anticipated, although all the ingredients were off the charts. That's the only reason I can really think of that we didn't see what Oklahoma did .

Here's the 5 cell line in action, 4 of which were tornado warned (I think one may have been a PDS, second from bottom)

Pecos Hank on the Madill "rainbow" tornado.

Just now catching up with the thread, that cell that stretched across Texas into Louisiana yesterday was incredible. I remember watching TV in the early afternoon after that tornado watch for east Texas had been up a while and the meteorologist had thought perhaps they were in for a quieter afternoon than they anticipated. IIRC that's the cell that the HRRR runs consistently picked up on. Do we have a distance that cell traveled/# of tors it dropped yet?

This will seriously go down as one of the most iconic tornado videos ever. Will be a great training tool. I just hate that there was a loss of life yesterday.

Bevo

Reaction score
This has been a very deadly year for tornadoes and the peak season for the southern states isn't even over yet. :( I hope we begin to get a bit of reprieve for at least a week or so so people can begin to recover, especially with the pandemic going on.

I pulled up @andyhb 's post from earlier in the thread, Tuesday afternoon. SPOT. ON.

With the northern target tomorrow well documented near the dryline, some attention should be paid to the southern target in E TX and W LA, where several CAMs have a long-lived supercell passing through a pretty high end parameter space tomorrow afternoon into evening.
View attachment 2989
This guy? Dryline comes to a halt, even "pinches" in some models after dark...
Screen_Shot_2020-04-21_at_14.50.43.png

Update: found a posting of that supercell's track. Holy smokes. Could still be active 12+ hours later?

Last edited:

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
watching that one cell in east central Mississippi, also it looks like low level winds are backed already in northern/central Alabama after the mcs continues to shift southward...cape steadily increasing through Miss into west Alabama. hmmmmm

bwalk

Reaction score
A discrete cell is already firing in N. central Miss at 9:30 am. It is not warned but has some intensity to it. A second cell is also trying to form. The main cell is not too far from the Alabama line.

Edit: You beat me to it, Richard.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Surface winds still backed where that isolated cell is developing but surface based instability looks meager; we're gonna have to look for some mesoscale features to induce backing since despite better instability return than expected there's a whole lotta veered profiles in the warm sector.

Kory

Reaction score
Convective blow up going up along the Gulf Coast in Louisiana. As that moves ENE, that will likely mitigate things further East.

RF16Gold

Reaction score
Lots of damage in Calhoun County, AL from gravity wave that moved through between 7 and 8 this morning. Two injuries reported in Blue Mountain area of Anniston. Easily some 50+ MPH gusts moved through the Anniston area.

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Lots of damage in Calhoun County, AL from gravity wave that moved through between 7 and 8 this morning. Two injuries reported in Blue Mountain area of Anniston. Easily some 50+ MPH gusts moved through the Anniston area.

I saw the LSR from BMX saying that falling trees injured 2 first responders. Hope they're ok!

RF16Gold

Reaction score
I saw the LSR from BMX saying that falling trees injured 2 first responders. Hope they're ok!
Pretty rough in that area all the way up to the northern part of the county. Appears that Jacksonville and Piedmont hit hardest. Same neighborhood that was hit by 2018 tornado in Jacksonville hit this morning also.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Gravity wave huh... very interesting. Seeing some trees down between here and Double Springs. Went to bed before that got here

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Confirmed tornado moving toward Waycross, which is one of the largest towns in that part of Georgia.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
A few little showers and storms up here but just looking like the severe threat is over up this far north with the Dixie standard Gulf coastal convective blob flooding the coast and blocking the moisture feed. RIP

Back