• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX April 22-24th, 2020 Severe Weather Threat

bwalk

Reaction score
The severe warned cell is headed towards Laurel. I know those folks do not want any part of this after experiencing what they did Sunday night.

Evan

Reaction score
The severe warned cell is headed towards Laurel. I know those folks do not want any part of this after experiencing what they did Sunday night.

Am I insane, or are there not a couple of spinups in that line approaching Laurel?

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I would monitor MCS development out west; it's going to be important in determining the chance of severe up this way tomorrow. An extensive MCS with a large cold pool would obviously keep the threat down for AL but if the MCS is weaker or moves through faster, we may need to watch advection and wind fields a little more closely. Still more concerned with the flood threat but hey, today overperformed, so...

andyhb

Reaction score
Need a tornado warning on that Wisner LA cell.

GTWXAlum

Reaction score
New Day 1 maintains enhanced risk for the southern 2/3rds of Alabama, Georgia, far southern South Carolina and the Florida panhandle.

Still questions about airmass recovery and wind fields behind current mass of convection moving east across Louisiana and Mississippi. But the spc thinks it will recover enough for all hazards by afternoon in parts of MS and AL

kevinrock

Reaction score
TDS west of McComb, Ms?
627365d7197d385f55430ffd6c31c125.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Jpgood20

Reaction score
The warning needs to be a litter broader as well. Some of the best velocity is just north of the warning box

CSimonds

Reaction score
Any idea how long the high winds are expected to last in North Alabama? We have already had several large trees come down and the power is out in our part of Guntersville

greenem81

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Technical Admin
Reaction score
Any idea how long the high winds are expected to last in North Alabama? We have already had several large trees come down and the power is out in our part of Guntersville
Hopefully you should see them begin subsiding soon. The wind is almost calm here in Holly Pond right now.

Kory

Reaction score
Instability is surging in behind that morning round across MS. We have clearing across MS and West AL...sun is peaking out frequently in Tuscaloosa.

I think the biggest question is the low level winds. Will they be strong enough to get mesos going and keep them sustained...they're looking somewhat weak after this morning round.

South AL Wx

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
SPC has significantly cut back on the enhanced risk for today. It seems that redevelopment this afternoon is now more in question, and the enhanced risk is basically along and ahead of the line of storms this morning:

day1otlk_1300.gif

Back