• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX April 11th-13th, 2020 Severe Weather Threat

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The second long track tornado (EF3) behind Bassfield has a path length of over 80 miles long and 1 mile wide... which is extremely substantial, though totally buried in the shadow of the Bassfield tornado

Reaction score
The second long track tornado (EF3) behind Bassfield has a path length of over 80 miles long and 1 mile wide... which is extremely substantial, though totally buried in the shadow of the Bassfield tornado
I believe the rating on that tornado is also still preliminary.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I haven't heard any survey details at all on it so wouldn't be shocking if they've barely started on that one

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Nixville, SC tornado (Hampton Co) high end EF3, 165 mph per DAT (prelim still).

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
LIX apparently has an announcement coming up from their section of the track, not out of the question the first tornado in that cell could be bumped to EF4.

Screenshot_20200415-155358.png

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score
Just further proof that insane SRH and wind shear can really make up for a lack of instability in a major way.

I don't want to imagine what would've happened had we had about 500-1000 more CAPE and marginally better lapse rates.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Gonna guess that we wind up with two EF4+ out of that lead supercell in S MS. That Bassfield path is mind-boggling (both in size and intensity at times).

Reaction score
Gonna guess that we wind up with two EF4+ out of that lead supercell in S MS. That Bassfield path is mind-boggling (both in size and intensity at times).
I can't see why they will not go EF5 on that tornado but whatever. Even if they don't get an EF5 rating it was still an incredible event.

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
I can't see why they will not go EF5 on that tornado but whatever.
All comes down to construction quality at the end of the day, now matter how insane the contextual damage is. I’d say it was almost certainly an EF5, but whether it hit anything well-built enough to prove this 100% remains to be seen.

Reaction score
All comes down to construction quality at the end of the day, now matter how insane the contextual damage is. I’d say it was almost certainly an EF5, but whether it hit anything well-built enough to prove this 100% remains to be seen.
Yeah I understand what you mean. However, I do believe that is the largest tornado ever recorded in Mississippi.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It's one of those cases where we'd have probably had back to back F5s if this were the 1990s, but now construction quality is scrutinized so closely I'm sure any EF4 damage points are going to be few and far between. Makes it hard to compare events.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score

Logo 468x120
Back