• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Alabama Governor's Race 2018

Evan

Reaction score
Ivey refusing to debate her opponents. Just like Bentley. If the people of Alabama were smart they'd vote out any incumbent that pulls a stunt like that. Don't want to debate? Fine. Go get a new job because you're done...

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Ivey refusing to debate her opponents. Just like Bentley. If the people of Alabama were smart they'd vote out any incumbent that pulls a stunt like that. Don't want to debate? Fine. Go get a new job because you're done...
Agree

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I really hope they have an empty podium on the stage for her. Her consultants are really doing her a disservice because I can guarantee the rest of the candidates will basically take the opportunity to pick her apart and she won't be there to defend it or return the favor.

Kory

Reaction score
I really hope they have an empty podium on the stage for her. Her consultants are really doing her a disservice because I can guarantee the rest of the candidates will basically take the opportunity to pick her apart and she won't be there to defend it or return the favor.
The governor's race in Louisiana back in 2015 was decided because the Republican candidate, David Vitter, opted not to debate in one of the opening debates of the race. He never recovered. Eventually, Vitter lost to Democrat John Bel Edwards. In hindsight, the citizens of Louisiana cut off their nose to spite the face as Louisiana has been driven even further into the ground by Edwards' administration, slipping to last place in GDP of the Gulf Coastal states.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Anybody catch any of the Democratic debate tonight? If not, you really didn't miss much. They all played pretty nice with each other. They all three were open and supportive a Medical Cannabis program in the state and Maddox/Cobb were pushing their education lotteries pretty hard. We hear from the Republicans tomorrow night, minus Governor Ivey.

http://www.wvtm13.com/article/video-alabama-democratic-gubernatorial-debate/19750392 (video replay)

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...ly-find-agreement-in-alabama-governors-debate

Reactions: KoD

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Governor Ivey’s commitment that caused a schedule confict with the Republican Debate was throwing out the first pitch at a Barons game. How easily could they rescheduled that? Battle and Hightower dodged the Roy Moore question and Dawson openly admitted he voted for Moore. I didn’t watch the whole thing but I think it was mostly another snooze fest.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Ivey's handlers know that even if she has all the right answers, putting her up on the debate stage will really show how much older she is than the other candidates. It is a calculated risk that is probably the right call for her campaign, but it screws the voters in the process.

Kory

Reaction score
Say no to Walt for governor. While he's out pimping his campaign with promises of a state lottery and marijuana legalization, Tuscaloosa has seen an unprecented spike in violent crimes in 2018. Where are you, Mr. Mayor, to address this?

I left New Orleans and decided to stay in Tuscaloosa because I love this town. I escaped the cesspool that is NOLA. The constantly daily murders, shootings, carjackings, etc. I don't want to see this city turn into a crime-ridden cesspool. It's about time Tuscaloosa gets new leadership.

That’s why we’re not quite sure what to conclude from our report Sunday on the dramatic increase in gun-related crimes and other violent crimes in Tuscaloosa in the first three months of this year compared with the first quarter of 2017. Violent crimes such as shootings, stabbings, assaults and sexual assaults nearly doubled, jumping from 58 to 113. Gun-related crimes alone also nearly doubled, from 20 to 39.
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/20180417/editorial-spike-in-violent-crimes-this-year-is-troubling

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
While I'm not as high on Battle as I was at the beginning of the election cycle, I'm still going to be voting for him unless something changes. It was originally a tough choice between Battle and Ivey but Ivey's refusal to make any appearances at debates has made this an easy choice for me.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The Democratic debate last night was a little more lively than the last couple. I think Walt Maddox is emerging as the front runner. Sue Bell Cobb is running behind him and Representative Fields in third in my opinion. Can either Maddox or Cobb dethrone the GOP? You can catch up and or watch if you so desire.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/04/alabama_democratic_governors_d.html

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
The Democratic debate last night was a little more lively than the last couple. I think Walt Maddox is emerging as the front runner. Sue Bell Cobb is running behind him and Representative Fields in third in my opinion. Can either Maddox or Cobb dethrone the GOP? You can catch up and or watch if you so desire.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/04/alabama_democratic_governors_d.html

It will depend on who wins the GOP primary. If Battle wins it, not a fighting chance. If Kay Ivey or one of the other two win it, it's possible.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Governor Ivey's doctor released a statement today saying that she was in overall good health. He's been her doctor since 2003 I think it was.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Now we have elected state government officials publicly gossiping about the Governor's personal life.

Very rich coming from Todd of all people.

ARCC

Reaction score
My coworker and I discussed this the other day and I'm curious on thoughts. You are running against Ivey, who acording to polling is extremely popular and thus very hard to unseat. Wouldn't it make more sense to run as LT Governor and win and bide your time? We all know Ivey is older, so why not run in a race you can win and then have a huge leg up should Ivey not finish her term or if she calls it finished after this term?

Jacob

Reaction score
Now we have elected state government officials publicly gossiping about the Governor's personal life.

Very rich coming from Todd of all people.

Unless she's been very outspoken one way or the other about LGBT stuff....why am I supposed to care about whether or not she's gay?

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Unless she's been very outspoken one way or the other about LGBT stuff....why am I supposed to care about whether or not she's gay?

My friends in Montgomery told me that her sexual orientation has been known for years. But Bentley was heterosexual and looked how well that went!!

I like Ivey but now that y'all have brought out her success may be results from the coattails of Bentley, I'm worried she doesn't have original ideas for success and leadership!

My husband is from Montgomery (lived there well into his 30's), he's always made statements about how well the infrastructure there is compared to other major Alabama cities. It's so obvious and wrong!!

Sent from my iPhone using TalkWeather mobile app

Last edited:

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
I'll be voting for Tommy Battle - Kay Ivey isn't a terrible option, but all she's really done is not be corrupt and keep the state afloat.

I think it'll be a relatively close race between the two with Battle easily controlling the Tennessee Valley, but I don't think it will be enough. Regardless, he will still have my vote.

Logo 468x120
Back