• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Alabama General Election for Senate

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
According to the last 2 polls on Real Clear, Jones is only 5-8 percentage points behind Moore. I'm surprised it is that close. Those polls are 2 weeks old, so it will be interesting to see the new ones when they come out.

Jacob

Reaction score
I'll be surprised if there isn't a similar under-sampling of Moore voters, similar to what we saw with Trump. People not really wanting to say they'll vote for him, but on election day they'll go pull the lever for him.

From my perspective, the Dems could've had a real opportunity with this election to take the seat with Moore being the Republican candidate if they had chosen a more moderate candidate. However, I just don't see somebody as far left as Jones winning an election in Alabama, even with Moore as his competition.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
FoxNews released a poll yesterday showing them tied 42-42. I'm not sure I believe it but I think the race is tighter than normal for a statewide election.

Had the Democrats only not nominated a left wing, Planned Parenthood/Abortion loving whack job. I'm not voting for Moore but Jones is making it awfully hard for me to vote for him, too.

Kory

Reaction score
FoxNews released a poll yesterday showing them tied 42-42. I'm not sure I believe it but I think the race is tighter than normal for a statewide election.

Had the Democrats only not nominated a left wing, Planned Parenthood/Abortion loving whack job. I'm not voting for Moore but Jones is making it awfully hard for me to vote for him, too.
I'm refraining on saying who I plan on casting a vote for, but it won't be someone who supports vacuuming the pieces of the most vulnerable in our society out of the womb.

In addition, he seems willfully nebulous on his stance of the second amendment. No thanks to Doug Jones.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
If Jones would come out as a Pro-Life Dem... I believe he would be the next Alabama senator

Evan

Reaction score
I'm refraining on saying who I plan on casting a vote for, but it won't be someone who supports vacuuming the pieces of the most vulnerable in our society out of the womb.

In addition, he seems willfully nebulous on his stance of the second amendment. No thanks to Doug Jones.

It doesn't matter anymore. The GOP controls all 3 branches of the government. They've done nothing to curtail abortion. Trump has frequently defended PP. The Senate could be made up of 100 Republicans and the House could have 435, and nothing would change.

Jones' position is grotesque. Really have to hold my nose. But Moore is an immediate danger. The Senate isn't going to do anything on abortion in the next year if they EVER do. I'm not going to give Moore a year of time in DC to solidify himself for the 2018 election.

Jones isn't the answer, but a year in DC isn't going to solidify him with the typical veil of incumbency. We have to decide who can do the least harm in one year's time, and who could most easily then be replaced. Seems that would be Jones. Any moderate Dem or decent GOPer can then replace him. Does anyone really think a State that votes GOP 65-75% in general elections is going to send Jones back for 6 years in 2018? Zero chance. But they certainly will with Moore.

Moore has the opportunity to be someone who helps do things like passing a law that restricts the first amendment. He's going to do whatever Trump wants. No thanks. At this point it is about minimizing the damage our politicians (especially POTUS) can do in the near term.

Awful as it may be, I'm going to have to vote for Jones. Sad as this sounds, at least he is honest about his baby murdering beliefs unlike the two recent GOP members urging their lovers to get abortions while claiming the be Pro-life.

If this was for a six year term I wouldn't vote for either one of them.

Matt

Reaction score
It doesn't matter anymore. The GOP controls all 3 branches of the government. They've done nothing to curtail abortion. Trump has frequently defended PP. The Senate could be made up of 100 Republicans and the House could have 435, and nothing would change.

Jones' position is grotesque. Really have to hold my nose. But Moore is an immediate danger. The Senate isn't going to do anything on abortion in the next year if they EVER do. I'm not going to give Moore a year of time in DC to solidify himself for the 2018 election.

Jones isn't the answer, but a year in DC isn't going to solidify him with the typical veil of incumbency. We have to decide who can do the least harm in one year's time, and who could most easily then be replaced. Seems that would be Jones. Any moderate Dem or decent GOPer can then replace him. Does anyone really think a State that votes GOP 65-75% in general elections is going to send Jones back for 6 years in 2018? Zero chance. But they certainly will with Moore.

Moore has the opportunity to be someone who helps do things like passing a law that restricts the first amendment. He's going to do whatever Trump wants. No thanks. At this point it is about minimizing the damage our politicians (especially POTUS) can do in the near term.

Awful as it may be, I'm going to have to vote for Jones. Sad as this sounds, at least he is honest about his baby murdering beliefs unlike the two recent GOP members urging their lovers to get abortions while claiming the be Pro-life.

If this was for a six year term I wouldn't vote for either one of them.

All your pontificating about conservatism and you choose to vote for a man who supports killing babies. Spare me from any more 10,000 word lectures about the evils of DJT.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
All your pontificating about conservatism and you choose to vote for a man who supports killing babies. Spare me from any more 10,000 word lectures about the evils of DJT.

Didn't you vote for Trump?

Evan

Reaction score

You voted for Trump well AFTER he praised Planned Parenthood numerous times. The President can actually directly affect abortion policy. Trump is not Pro-life -- don't act like people here are uneducated about his past. I don't know if you didn't read what I said (apparently anything over 100 words is very taxing to you), but I explained that Jones won't be able to have any impact on abortion legislation in the ONE year he is in office. If you dispute that then lay out a reason why.

How about actually responding to what people say instead of cheap, drive-by talking points that don't even address what is being discussed? Please list the recent anti-abortion bills that the GOP has brought for a vote in the Senate. You will never respond to this request and we both know it. If people wanted to hear irrelevant political talking points we could tune into one of the talk radio hacks you have enslaved your mind to over the part couple of years.

By the way, voting for Moore is the antithesis of Conservatism. You aren't commenting out of principle, you are essentially whining because so many Alabama voters are refusing to give your King an extra rubber stamp.

Jones is running for a ONE year term, and will block Moore from establishing himself as an unbeatable incumbent. My principles are very much intact. In fact, seeing how triggered all the Trumpservatives are about people not voting for Moore makes my case for me. Who wants to be on the side of people that put such a massive failure into the Oval Office?

Last edited:

Matt

Reaction score
You voted for Trump well AFTER he praised Planned Parenthood numerous times. The President can actually directly affect abortion policy. Trump is not Pro-life -- don't act like people here are uneducated about his past. I don't know if you didn't read what I said (apparently anything over 100 words is very taxing to you), but I explained that Jones won't be able to have any impact on abortion legislation in the ONE year he is in office. If you dispute that then lay out a reason why.

How about actually responding to what people say instead of cheap, drive-by talking points that don't even address what is being discussed? Please list the recent anti-abortion bills that the GOP has brought for a vote in the Senate. You will never respond to this request and we both know it. If people wanted to hear irrelevant political talking points we could tune into one of the talk radio hacks you have enslaved your mind to over the part couple of years.

By the way, voting for Moore is the antithesis of Conservatism. You aren't commenting out of principle, you are essentially whining because so many Alabama voters are refusing to give your King an extra rubber stamp.

Jones is running for a ONE year term, and will block Moore from establishing himself as an unbeatable incumbent. My principles are very much intact. In fact, seeing how triggered all the Trumpservatives are about people not voting for Moore makes my case for me. Who wants to be on the side of people that put such a massive failure into the Oval Office?

I most likely will write in Jeff Sessions. You and others such as yourself ignore the fact that Trump received 63 million votes. Why do you suppose that is ? Are all of us idiots ? Are all of us deranged lunatics that have no idea what is going on ?

You are a talented writer, just need to figure out a way to say what you want to convey using fewer words. Just my little ole humble opinion!

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
I most likely will write in Jeff Sessions. You and others such as yourself ignore the fact that Trump received 63 million votes. Why do you suppose that is ? Are all of us idiots ? Are all of us deranged lunatics that have no idea what is going on ?

You are a talented writer, just need to figure out a way to say what you want to convey using fewer words. Just my little ole humble opinion!
That is less votes than Obama received in either election that he won, and you made those exact claims about the people who supported him.

Evan

Reaction score

There are a multitude of reasons why people voted for Trump. But for those that said they believe in Conservative principles, it was betrayal to support him in the primaries and then in the general. I have less of a beef with people that saw it as a lesser of two evils situation in the General, but if that is the case then why do they now refuse to criticize Trump no matter the issue or behavior?

As far as Jones is concerned, I've had numerous private conversations with people on this very forum about how his statement on abortion is repugnant. I haven't abandoned my principles one iota. If it was for a six year term I wouldn't vote for either of them.

I don't believe the race is tied. The Fox poll was made up of registered voters. The Raycom poll of LVs released today shows Moore up by 11. That's probably too high in the other direction. Moore is probably up 5-6%. I have strong doubts about Jones being able to close that gap because of his statement on abortion. If the polling isn't close come election time I'm not going to vote for either one of them. I will write in Cam Ward or somebody else. But if it is within 3% or so? I'm probably going to hold my nose and vote for Jones. I've already explained my reasoning, and it isn't a violation of my principles unless the GOP suddenly shows they can move legislation and throw out a bill to ban abortion (which they won't do because they are frauds).

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm a little wary of the Raycom poll because of at least one friend's experience. He said he took the call, heard Mark Thornhill's voice talking about the race followed by some unintelligible noise, so he hung up. I wonder how many others hung up if that was happening to everyone?

FWIW he is firmly behind Doug Jones, but obviously the robocall doesn't know that in advance.

Derek00

Reaction score
You and others such as yourself ignore the fact that Trump received 63 million votes. Why do you suppose that is ? Are all of us idiots ? Are all of us deranged lunatics that have no idea what is going on ?
I don't think you want the answers to those last two questions.

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
Tommy Battle's comments on Roy Moore suddenly made my decision to vote for him much more difficult than it previously was. Extremely disappointed that he's looking solely at party lines and not actually looking at what Roy Moore represents and the associated baggage he carries.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tommy Battle's comments on Roy Moore suddenly made my decision to vote for him much more difficult than it previously was. Extremely disappointed that he's looking solely at party lines and not actually looking at what Roy Moore represents and the associated baggage he carries.

Yep, very disappointing and I've already sent Mayor Battle a message voicing my displeasure. I don't expect him to ensorse Jones but if he felt it necessary to have a public opinion on this race not endorsing a candidate at all is an option.

Or, he could have said nothing.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yep, very disappointing and I've already sent Mayor Battle a message voicing my displeasure. I don't expect him to ensorse Jones but if he felt it necessary to have a public opinion on this race not endorsing a candidate at all is an option.
Just was a horrible decision. Tommy often feels like he is a leader that is above all the silly politics and here he is mixing it up with a loon. I have also tweeted my disappointment to Tommy.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Just was a horrible decision. Tommy often feels like he is a leader that is above all the silly politics and here he is mixing it up with a loon. I have also tweeted my disappointment to Tommy.

I just wonder if he even reads the replies?

Back