• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Alabama General Election for Senate

Evan

Reaction score
Doubt it.

At this level of politics he may read some from time to time or read all of them, but the more likely thing is that staff reads them -- especially if that person has a significant number of notifications. Just depends, but I'd say the chances of him seeing an individual reply -- as you noted -- is quite low. But, the overall "tone" that some people are disappointed may get bubbled over to him.

However, I think it is pretty clear why he said what he did regarding Moore. Battle is running for Governor. His back-and-forth with Kyle Whitmire and subsequent "debate" (which he decisively won) and the Moore support is clear indicators of political calculation. Why else would someone mix it up with a Birmingham News personality that wrote an article about Birmingham? Why else would someone like Battle endorse Moore. Answer: He's running for Governor, and he knows that if he didn't back Moore that 75% of Moore voters would never forgive him. However, 90-95% of people that don't like Moore, but have positive sentiments for Battle, Conservatives, or the GOP, are likely to overlook it given time. If Battle ends up in field with a number of Moore style candidates/loons then what are we going to do? Vote for the loon? That Battle is making these kinds of political calculations right now fits perfectly with the political cycle for the 2018 Governor's race. What's interesting is the coincidence with the regular election for Sessions' old seat. If Moore wins the election in December (which seems almost certain), then Battle can't waver on supporting Moore because Moore will be on the ballot next to him in 2018.

That's just my read of the situation. It is analogous to why so many in the GOP did what they did in regards to Trump, and only those that were retired/retiring or no longer holding public office are really to hit him hard -- outside of a very select few.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Ole Roy staunchly refuses to debate Jones... is anyone surprised?

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I saw where Gov. Ivey isn't going to endorse Moore.

Pure politics. She said the night of the primary she was going to support the party's nominee. What has changed since then? Gov. Ivey's current main competitor for her seat, Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle, recently endorsed Moore and has taken some flak as a result. I can only assume the Ivey campaign thought it was wise to differentiate herself from her opponent on this matter.

Not a big deal, just interesting to see the posturing.

Kory

Reaction score
I saw where Gov. Ivey isn't going to endorse Moore.

Pure politics. She said the night of the primary she was going to support the party's nominee. What has changed since then? Gov. Ivey's current main competitor for her seat, Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle, recently endorsed Moore and has taken some flak as a result. I can only assume the Ivey campaign thought it was wise to differentiate herself from her opponent on this matter.

Not a big deal, just interesting to see the posturing.
“Ivey, Alabama's Republican governor, said she will vote for Republican nominee Moore but will not endorse him. That's in keeping with her standard practice of not endorsing candidates, according to a tweet from Alan Blinder, a New York Times reporter who covers Alabama and other southern states.”

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/gov_kay_ivey_voting_for_roy_mo.html

Evan

Reaction score
Who knows if these allegations are true, but if they can be proven as such, this changes everything and Moore needs to withdraw from the race.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...f60b5a6c4a0_story.html?utm_term=.c3737f00d36f

It's pretty damning that court records show that one of the victim's mother was in court for a divorce in the month and year that the victim alleges her relationship with Moore began. What freaking 14 year old recalls meeting some man at a courthouse unless they met several times again, and had additional contact and activity? I have a very good memory, but I've seen pictures of myself meeting people 2-3 times when I was that age that I don't remember at all.

Equally damning is that there are multiple independent witnesses that say they were told about the allegations long ago. Most before Moore was known for anything. Especially the two friends that remember telling the girl not to hang out with an older man. Add in that two of their mothers confirm details, particularly the mother that wouldn't let Moore date her 16 year old daughter, and recalls what she told him...

Some of the specific details seem easy to confirm. One girl who was of age (18 years old, but shows a pattern of dating/liking girls much younger than his own age) made specific allegations about a type and brand of wine he bought for her at a pizzeria. People from the area and others should be able to confirm if that wine was available then at that restaurant.

The 14 year old also says she is a Trump supporter and Republican. The Moore campaign and reporters should be able to dig through her social media and relationships with ex-spouses and current friends and relatives to confirm that's true (sounds cruel, but the nature of the game when you make allegations like this). Why would a GOP Trump supporter level an allegation like this against Moore?

Here's my point: There are very specific and detailed allegations made in the article. The Moore campaign, PACs, Conservative media, allies, etc all have plenty of time to research and investigate this story. If there are lies or holes in the story they should be able to prove so. Because Roy Moore is going to have to do a lot more than just scream fake news. He's going to need to prove that these multiple allegations with multiple independent witnesses have conflicts or problems with accuracy.

With Moore's resources and allies, and the specificity of the allegations, if they are false, that shouldn't be hard to do. But, this is the Washington Post. They didn't start learning how to report and confirm information just last week. So that leads me to believe there's more than a lot of smoke here. There's a bonfire and Roy Moore is staggering around it covered in gasoline.

I loathe Moore, but NO ONE should be destroyed by false allegations or lies. However, he's very fortunate that these allegations all have a number of easily refutable details and specifics. So let's see if he can... otherwise...

Evan

Reaction score
What's the new moral argument for voting for Roy Moore? Hey, I may be a child molester, but at least I'm against gays, trannies, and abortion!

Amazing how much of a crap show 2016/2017 has been, with morally compromised candidates and repugnant demonstrations of character and principles.

Matt

Reaction score
Gosh almighty, the left accuses a Republican of sexual deviancy! A worn out tactic for sure. If proven, then Moore should go obviously. I would like to know where the WP stories ares about Billy Clinton's trips aboard the Lolita Express to Pedophile Island with Jeffery Epstein.

Every Republican candidate is always a racist, a homophobe, a misogynist, an islamophobe, wants to starve women, kids and the elderly, loves dirty air and water, hates animals (especially puppies), is a Nazi or Hitlerian in personality. Everyone one. Never fails. i am surprised it took this long to happen.

Also, I believe this will backfire. Most Alabamians despise the Washington Post and will see this a democrap dirty trick. Just my .02.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)
As much of a homophobe as Moore is, I'm surprised it wasn't teenaged boys rather than teenaged girls. I strongly believe in "he who doth protest the loudest."

This could be a Republican tactic as much as a Democratic one. The majority of Republican Senators probably don't want to count Moore on their roster. They may bank on letting Jones serve for a year and then let Alabama replace him with a non-whacko Republican Senator in the 2018 election.

Apparently Alabama law prevents the R's from replacing Moore on the ballot at this late date. Absentee ballots have already been mailed out. Luther Strange could run a write-in campaign, but Moore's name will be on the election ballot and would likely split the vote.

Evan

Reaction score
Gosh almighty, the left accuses a Republican of sexual deviancy! A worn out tactic for sure. If proven, then Moore should go obviously. I would like to know where the WP stories ares about Billy Clinton's trips aboard the Lolita Express to Pedophile Island with Jeffery Epstein.

Every Republican candidate is always a racist, a homophobe, a misogynist, an islamophobe, wants to starve women, kids and the elderly, loves dirty air and water, hates animals (especially puppies), is a Nazi or Hitlerian in personality. Everyone one. Never fails. i am surprised it took this long to happen.

Also, I believe this will backfire. Most Alabamians despise the Washington Post and will see this a democrap dirty trick. Just my .02.

Bill Clinton isn't running for office, and the Washington Post has written numerous stories on the allegations against Clinton.

Do you want to actually address the allegations in the article as well as why I find it to be easy to dispute if any of the details are untrue or incorrect?

There are such detailed specifics that the Moore campaign should be able to rebut numerous allegations and supposed facts if they are untrue or inaccurate. Everything from Moore dating these women to their political beliefs, the particular wine served at the restaurant (still open in its original building), meeting a woman who was Santa's Little Helper/in a jewelry store, etc.

Moore has DEEP ties to Etowah County to say the least. If he wants to dispute the story other than screaming "Fake News" then why doesn't he do so? He's got a large campaign flush with cash and numerous Conservative allies. It seems like numerous GOP leaders in Alabama are backing Moore even if the allegations are true.

Other than Whataboutism and "Fake News," what credible reason do you have to doubt the stories of these women, their friends, and mothers? Can you name a single allegation or detail that you think is suspicious or off?

You didn't seem to express any doubt that numerous people in Hollywood are similar to Weinstein even though some of the people accused have been accused by the same number of women or less than Moore, and with fewer details.

Shouldn't any allegation(s) of sexual abuse or child molestation be individually weighed on the merits? What issues do you have with the article on Moore? Why would a Trump supporter falsely accuse him? If she's not a Trump supporter why can't they find a family member, friend, acquaintance, or something in her social media history showing that to be false?

The Moore campaign knew about the allegations awhile before the WaPo story came out. Why can they not rebut anything alleged? Why would a 14 year old remember meeting Moore and there be a court record confirming her allegation of the date she alleged?

I don't want ANYONE to be destroyed or hurt by a false allegation. But you're gonna have to do better than "Fake News" and what about Bill Clinton.

Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)
You have got to be kidding me: www.washingtonexaminer.com/alabama-state-auditor-defends-roy-moore-against-sexual-allegations-invokes-mary-and-joseph/article/2640217

“He’s clean as a hound’s tooth,” Ziegler claimed, before relying on Scripture to defend Moore.

“Take the Bible. Zachariah and Elizabeth for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist,” Ziegler said choosing his words carefully before invoking Christ. “Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.”

“There’s just nothing immoral or illegal here,” Ziegler concluded. “Maybe just a little bit unusual.”

rolltide_130

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
You have got to be kidding me: www.washingtonexaminer.com/alabama-state-auditor-defends-roy-moore-against-sexual-allegations-invokes-mary-and-joseph/article/2640217

“He’s clean as a hound’s tooth,” Ziegler claimed, before relying on Scripture to defend Moore.

“Take the Bible. Zachariah and Elizabeth for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist,” Ziegler said choosing his words carefully before invoking Christ. “Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus.”

“There’s just nothing immoral or illegal here,” Ziegler concluded. “Maybe just a little bit unusual.”

That may honestly be a worse defense than Kevin Spacey's "I'm gay" defense after his allegations came to light..

Derek00

Reaction score
The sad thing is, Alabama is so backwards and beyond repair that this creepy pervert will still absolutely win unless he quits the race.

And the "Well Joseph and other people in the Bible were creepy perverts, so who cares!?" defense is insane.

This story is deeply sourced. Scream out "Fake News!" and talk about the Bible all you want, Roy Moore is a pedophile and if you support him you're just as disgusting. It's ignorant to think this story would run without it being airtight.

Last edited:

gangstonc

Reaction score

You know your boy Trump rode the Lolita Express to Pedophile Island too, don’t you? And he’s actually still a relevant actor in politics, being the president and all.

The fact is, these things have to be followed up on. The party needs to do their due diligence here. There is a tremendous risk with placing a potential pedophile in the Senate.

You can’t automatically assume that something like this is a dirty leftist trick the sameness way you can’t assume he is guilty.

Evan

Reaction score
The winner of the Senate race serves until January 2021. I thought it was 2019. Lord help us!

You are correct. I somehow thought it was through the normal General in 2018. I swear I read an article or two saying that, but perhaps there was confusion because of the original date being 2018.

So, yeah, 2021. That's... wow.

Daryl

Reaction score
The family values party keeps on rolling.Sadly the consensus will be, It's better to have a pedophile represent Alabama than a Democrat.

Last edited:

Daryl

Reaction score

That's just deranged,even for Alabama standards.

Matt

Reaction score
The fact McConnell, McCain, Flake, et al., immediately called for Moore to step down makes me think they are involved in this as well. Never Trumpers all of them. I smell a rat. Mitch is a sorry, no good POS. Would put nothing past him. Gotta keep the establishment donors happy.

Back