• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 4/25-4/26, 2024 - (Thursday, Friday)

jiharris0220

Reaction score
1713906252117.png
Sounding taken from southern Missouri, 84hours out. Yeah, I hope the nam is out for lunch on this one. Only failure mode for this particular run and sounding is the overly deep moister which promotes too much crowding.

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
When's the last time the SPC did an unscheduled Day 3 update?
What I can find was in November 2022, but I'm pretty confident we had one more recent, but I can't find it.

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
What I can find was in November 2022, but I'm pretty confident we had one more recent, but I can't find it.
UPDATE:
Back on January 7th of the this year was the last time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240423_220723_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240423_220723_Chrome.jpg
    833.2 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
I think Saturday has the highest ceiling and, if model trends continue, could possibly justify a high risk.
The machine learning models agree. CSU-MLP maxes out the scale. Look at the huge swath of land under high probability significant weather:
Per Trey, Thursday’s event is more dependent on “just in time moisture” while Saturday’s threat will already have that moisture in place.

Which already seems to be playing out on HRRR with hardly any, if at all, convection firing off the dryline Thursday.

lake.effect

Reaction score
Getting concerned for DFW / North Central TX on Friday and Saturday. Some of the best parameters come together around the metroplex. We'll see how the CAMs handle it.

Reaction score
12Z 3KM NAM depiction for Friday afternoon in NE/IA is interesting, although unlikely to verify. It fires an intense bow echo at 20Z, which breaks up into semi-discrete supercells at 21Z and then back to a bow echo by 22Z. :cool:

jiharris0220

Reaction score
12Z 3KM NAM depiction for Friday afternoon in NE/IA is interesting, although unlikely to verify. It fires an intense bow echo at 20Z, which breaks up into semi-discrete supercells at 21Z and then back to a bow echo by 22Z. :cool:
Yeah, the nam has a weird forcing bias, in which all convection that fires along any boundary/front will just instantly go linear.
Good ol’ nam and it’s quirks, lol.

Reaction score
Yeah, the nam has a weird forcing bias, in which all convection that fires along any boundary/front will just instantly go linear.
Good ol’ nam and it’s quirks, lol.

Yes, indeed. The fact that it's showing any frames at all of semi-discrete convection with intense updraft helicity is concerning (or encouraging from a chase perspective). Not calling for anything of that caliber (yet), but it was also doing the same prior to 3/31/23, one of the few other times I've seen it do so.

Reaction score
Or not. Still an enhanced.

Much like last week Monday (although those issues are not quite as pronounced this go-around), tomorrow's setup has questions regarding wave timing, storm initiation/coverage and moisture depth. Not all CAMs fire convection and of those that do, not all portray sustained supercells.

Logo 468x120
Back