• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

2021 Tropical Storm and Hurricane Season

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Should we get a separate thread going for Tropical Storm (more than likely soon to be Hurricane) Nora out in the Pacific?

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Should we get a separate thread going for Tropical Storm (more than likely soon to be Hurricane) Nora out in the Pacific?
Go ahead.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We have Tropical Storm Julian in the Atlantic. Julian will be post-tropical by tomorrow.
1630249104718.png

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Julian is already an extratropical cyclone after spending less than a day as a tropical storm.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Here's something to keep an eye on: A tropical wave is forecast to move off the coast of Africa tomorrow. The NHC has the wave at an 80% chance for tropical cyclone formation within five days. This could result in the formation of a powerful Cape Verde hurricane. Of course it's far too early to say with certainty what this tropical wave will actually do, but it's something to keep in mind nonetheless:
disturbance.JPG

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Chances upped to 70% within 48 hours and 90% within five days for a newly formed area of low pressure in association with a tropical wave emerging off the African coast. Here's what Windy thinks will happen and no words other than WOW to describe what could be coming.
windyhurricane.JPG
windyhurricane2.JPG
windyhurricane3.JPG
windyhurricane4.JPG

The last currently available forecast shows the storm weakened slightly, but still an extremely dangerous major hurricane as it approaches Bermuda...
windyhurricane5.JPG

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Meanwhile Tropical Depression Ten has finally become Tropical Storm Kate after struggling for several days.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Chances upped to 70% within 48 hours and 90% within five days for a newly formed area of low pressure in association with a tropical wave emerging off the African coast. Here's what Windy thinks will happen and no words other than WOW to describe what could be coming.
View attachment 10256
View attachment 10257
View attachment 10258
View attachment 10259

The last currently available forecast shows the storm weakened slightly, but still an extremely dangerous major hurricane as it approaches Bermuda...
View attachment 10260
Chances upped again to 90/90 for the low which is continuing to show signs of organization.

Brice Wood

Reaction score
85E437D7-EDA5-4D7C-92D3-6314A2D63DC5.jpegIf this doesn’t concern you i don’t know what will, this is a couple weeks out, we have a major hurricane in the gulf, hitting Louisiana.. again…..

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
TD Twelve is now Tropical Storm Larry. Forecast to become a major hurricane this weekend but thankfully it's expected to turn out to sea and not affect any land areas.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Larry is expected to become a hurricane tonight and rapidly intensify into a major hurricane by Friday. Still heading well out to sea.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Okay, not in any of the hurricane basins, but still...

Per CNN (their hyperlink):

Chanthu formed on September 6, according to the Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC). The storm then underwent one of the most extreme bouts of rapid-intensification ever recorded, by increasing 80 knots in wind speed in just 24 hours on September 7.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We should watch the shower and thunderstorm activity in the Caribbean Sea off the coast of Columbia. A storm could foster off the convergent trade winds. The region will be unstable and wind shear favorably low for further development over the next several days.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile, in the western Pacific, here's coverage of Supertyphoon Rai (Odette) that someone posted online:

It hit the Philippines hard, and is still active, per the JTWC.

DetectiveWX

Reaction score
Ida is gone from the lists forever. Imani will be in play starting in 2027. You know, we're running out of "I" names... Heck, 2020 Greek list had no "I" at all.

Last edited:

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Ida is gone from the lists forever. Imani will be in play starting in 2027. You know, we're running out of "I" names... Heck, 2020 Greek list had no "I" at all.
I will suggest they add "Illuminati" (and then run away quickly before the rotten tomatoes start flying my way) :rolleyes: Apologies for my warped sense of humor.

I think they may need to chill out some on retiring names as even with the Greek added it's barely sufficient now. Restraint is one of the toughest human virtues to achieve ;)

Phil

Back