• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

2020 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

skelly

Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20. It also brings to mind all the wrong advice and information propagated from China, WHO, leading Democrats and “MSM” who couldn’t be bothered covering it until after Feb. basically. Plenty of international and national political posturing by both sides or parties that really couldn’t be bothered with it as long as impeachment was on the front burner.

In 20/20 hindsight a lot of good could of been accomplished with even earlier travel restrictions and targeted quarantines in addition to what Kory mentioned. (Would of also been helpful if outspoken “proponents” of masks and “social distancing “ weren’t just doing it when “on air” then taking them off and doing whatever hypocritically, i.e. most news reporters and some “experts”. (Chris Cuomo pretending to quarantine in his basement...)

Evan

Reaction score
There’s just so many simple things Trump could’ve done, from advising AND actually wearing a face covering himself, to issuing directives to lockdown nursing homes where 40-50% of deaths occurred, to using federal powers to mass manufacture rapid testing/PPE/other medical supplies when it started spreading like wildfire in Europe and Asia . He could’ve taken a lead seeing what was coming and lead a united response outside of outright national lockdowns. But hindsight is always 20/20.

Bottom line, there has been zero leadership from Trump on COVID. Those trying to lead like Pence, Birx, Fauci, Giroir, etc have to constantly soothe the spoiled Emperor and navigate his constant freshly placed landmines instead of being able to focus on helping the American people.

That's the crux of it all. And it absolutely wouldn't be happening if we had even a slightly competent leader as President.

Evan

Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20. It also brings to mind all the wrong advice and information propagated from China, WHO, leading Democrats and “MSM” who couldn’t be bothered covering it until after Feb. basically. Plenty of international and national political posturing by both sides or parties that really couldn’t be bothered with it as long as impeachment was on the front burner.

In 20/20 hindsight a lot of good could of been accomplished with even earlier travel restrictions and targeted quarantines in addition to what Kory mentioned. (Would of also been helpful if outspoken “proponents” of masks and “social distancing “ weren’t just doing it when “on air” then taking them off and doing whatever hypocritically, i.e. most news reporters and some “experts”. (Chris Cuomo pretending to quarantine in his basement...)

Impeachment had absolutely nothing to do with the poor response to COVID and to pretend that it did is absurd.

None of the things you mentioned, if we even assumed them to be true, are in any way responsible for Trump ignoring this pandemic from the start. His words are on record. "It's just a few cases." "It will be going to zero soon." The list goes on and on. He tried to ignore the pandemic because it was a political negative for him.

Cuomo mishandling things in New York should've been revelatory to not pressure states to open, but Trump also did that without a care in the world as to the potential harm. I'm old enough to remember when he demanded states re-open and said he had complete and total authority to do make it happen. That was right around the time he said he takes zero responsibility for his own government's inept response to COVID.

His interview with Axios shows a man so detached from reality that he simply cannot seperate the 150,000 dead Americans from his own political prospects. I actually think he believes the 150,000 dead FAILED him by dying instead of the other way around. It's palpable how clearly he thinks HE is the victim here and not the thousands of Americans who have died due to his inept, unfocused, lazy, and bungled response to the pandemic.

skelly

Reaction score
I absolutely didn’t mention anything untrue nor absurd. At one time “under control” was defined as having enough hospital beds and effective treatments, enough ventilators, enough PPE. When the president says under control it’s treated as if he means there’s no risk and it’s over. Guess what, he’ll never be “ in touch” with a reality that isn’t defined until after we can pin him down with a statement then rally our talking points around it. As sophomoric as he can be sometimes, on purpose, the Axios interviewers behavior during and after the interview is blatantly so. By comparison, a Tucker Carlson interview of Biden would seem soft. I’m not waiting on that though he can’t even sit down with Wallace.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
I absolutely didn’t mention anything untrue nor absurd. At one time “under control” was defined as having enough hospital beds and effective treatments, enough ventilators, enough PPE. When the president says under control it’s treated as if he means there’s no risk and it’s over. Guess what, he’ll never be “ in touch” with a reality that isn’t defined until after we can pin him down with a statement then rally our talking points around it. As sophomoric as he can be sometimes, on purpose, the Axios interviewers behavior during and after the interview is blatantly so. By comparison, a Tucker Carlson interview of Biden would seem soft. I’m not waiting on that though he can’t even sit down with Wallace.
Yeah, okay.

gangstonc

Reaction score
I can guarantee you that nobody thinks 1000 deaths a day is under control. That’s 2 9/11s a week.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose by those metrics then things aren't necessarily under control. I can only speak for my experience at one hospital but I assume others are facing similar difficulties. There's a lot of what we call "admit holds" where patients are stuck in the ER because there's no bed available upstairs. There is no proven effective treatment although we do use remdesivir at this point in time for those critical patients. We've had to pull in ventilators from other local hospitals because there's not enough. The ICUs are all full - surgical/trauma, medical, neuro, respiratory, everything. PPE is minimal but it's something. I used the same N95 for 2 months before an adequate replacement came along. I do admit though I did refuse two offers for the 3M N95's with exhalation valves, they just don't seal properly on my face and additionally expose others if I were to be infected. We haven't had independent access to grab an N95 for months unless a department director brought some around to personally give out for those that didn't have one. There's plenty of surgical masks though, finally. More than half of the employees at the ER have large P100 respirators because there's no dependability on resources.
Nothing is really "under control", it's just not a giant catastrophe.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose by those metrics then things aren't necessarily under control. I can only speak for my experience at one hospital but I assume others are facing similar difficulties. There's a lot of what we call "admit holds" where patients are stuck in the ER because there's no bed available upstairs. There is no proven effective treatment although we do use remdesivir at this point in time for those critical patients. We've had to pull in ventilators from other local hospitals because there's not enough. The ICUs are all full - surgical/trauma, medical, neuro, respiratory, everything. PPE is minimal but it's something. I used the same N95 for 2 months before an adequate replacement came along. I do admit though I did refuse two offers for the 3M N95's with exhalation valves, they just don't seal properly on my face and additionally expose others if I were to be infected. We haven't had independent access to grab an N95 for months unless a department director brought some around to personally give out for those that didn't have one. There's plenty of surgical masks though, finally. More than half of the employees at the ER have large P100 respirators because there's no dependability on resources.
Nothing is really "under control", it's just not a giant catastrophe.
Are you using dexamethasone in severely ill patients? My son's team in Austin TX has had some success in reducing deaths using it.

skelly

Reaction score
We’re also not talking about the fact that the summer surge in Covid -19 is world wide and in countries that haven’t reopened, or even those that stayed opened. Beirut suffering from a surge of 300,000 in the last month and now the big explosions. As bad as things are here with the coronavirus you are still better off in the USA dealing with it...I guess this video talks about Trump’s performance but really how to think about it is the US response overall ranks well if you want to compare it worldwide. But I know most on here are more informed than the average.

gangstonc

Reaction score
We’re also not talking about the fact that the summer surge in Covid -19 is world wide and in countries that haven’t reopened, or even those that stayed opened. Beirut suffering from a surge of 300,000 in the last month and now the big explosions. As bad as things are here with the coronavirus you are still better off in the USA dealing with it...I guess this video talks about Trump’s performance but really how to think about it is the US response overall ranks well if you want to compare it worldwide. But I know most on here are more informed than the average.

UK, Italy, Germany, Canada, South Korea, Thailand, Taiwan and others don’t have a summer surge. How come we can’t be like them?

i don’t think you can say we are better off than most first world countries right now. The statistics just don’t match that claim. The US has the 10th highest case and death density in the entire world! That is unbelievably bad!

We are only better than Qatar, French Guiana, Bahrain, San Marino, Chile, Kuwait, Panama, and Oman. How do you claim we are in a better place w.r.t this virus? If you do a worldwide comparison we are 10th from the bottom in deaths and cases per capita out of 215 counties and territories. I will never be proud of 205th place.

Last edited:

gangstonc

Reaction score
Also skelly, you talk about Biden only taking easy interviews. Here are orange man’s stats:

fox:96
ABC: 6
CBS: 6
CNN: 0
NBC: 8
WSJ: 10
Nyt: 8
Reuter’s: 8
WSP: 7

Last edited:

skelly

Reaction score
Also skelly, you talk about Biden only taking easy interviews. Here are orange man’s stats:

fox:96
ABC: 6
CBS: 6
CNN: 0
NBC: 8
WSJ: 10
Nyt: 8
Reuter’s: 8
WSP: 7
Do you count the virus briefings and other WH press conferences?

skelly

Reaction score

My points and you’re points aside, care to point out, or do you see any problems or issues with this chart, or the John’s Hopkins, or any of them for that matter?

gangstonc

Reaction score

My points and you’re points aside, care to point out, or do you see any problems or issues with this chart, or the John’s Hopkins, or any of them for that matter?
Nope. Do you?

“Yeah, it is quantitatively if you look at it, it is. I mean the numbers don’t lie,” Fauci said when asked during an interview with CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta whether the U.S. had the world’s worst coronavirus outbreak.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Are you using dexamethasone in severely ill patients? My son's team in Austin TX has had some success in reducing deaths using it.
I don't believe so, everyone here is still shy on corticosteroids. I'd like to see some new research on it's efficacy though

(Sorry I didn't realize this was the political thread and not the covid-19 thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back