• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

2020 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Don't know about y'all but how is your 409K doing? Mine doesn't seem to be doing much under my kitchen sink. What am I doing wrong?!

View attachment 2305

What, I ran out of 409K, Wes, can I have some of yours. ;-)

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Just had an interruption of my news watching that reports the US is confident that Iran shot down the passenger airplane. Anyone heard anything about that?

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
Just had an interruption of my news watching that reports the US is confident that Iran shot down the passenger airplane. Anyone heard anything about that?

One of the news reports state that in a photo of the crash, the guidance system of a missile can be seen. I haven't seen it, I am just regurgitating what I read.

TornadoFan

Reaction score
Sky NEWS report outlining that the UK government is looking into the circumstances of the crash of a Ukrainian jet shortly after take off.

**MOD Edit: A summary of the link provided was added by a moderator. Please ensure that any links posted include a description of what can be found at the link. This is outlined in our link and video description policy at https://talkweather.com/threads/policy-update-concerning-links-and-videos.1344/. Thanks! /WesL

Last edited by a moderator:

Evan

Reaction score
DoD now states that they have confidence that the Ukrainian Airlines 737 that crashed near Tehran was shot down by an Iranian SAM (Surface to Air missile).

Since Soleimani was killed, Iran and many on the left have been pointing out the accidental shootdown of Iran Air 655, by the US Navy, as evidence of the United States' malicious intent towards Iran. Iran never believed or agreed with the United States that we accidentally shotdown the Iran Air flight. They always maintained it was intentional, and have said for decades that such a thing cannot happen accidentally.

I wonder if now Iran will acknowledge their own BS all these years? I had originally thought that the crash was an accident, because of the videos out there that showed it partially on fire on an engine and beginning to descend. I was surprised by the Iranian emergency response and the number of workers I saw at the scene of the crash. It seemed...excessive. When Iran refused to allow the United States to participate in the investigation, and tried to limit the role of Canada, Ukraine, and any European countries with the technical knowledge and experience necessary to investigate large commercial crashes, I began to smell a rat.

I was hoping, however, that all those things were just coincidences. I see that's not the case.

Evan

Reaction score
I think Evan had this figured out early in the game last night! Good job Evan!!

Seems it has somewhat changed now. DoD is now saying Iran DID to intend casualties in their missile attack on US bases. It's a very odd walk-back considering there is a massive difference between the two claims. One indicates Iran wanted to deescalate but needed to save face. The other indicates that Iran was prepared to dramatically escalate things.

It's DoD's job to get this right the first time. When combined with the Iraq withdrawal "draft" unsigned/signed debacle, it really makes DoD look like they're operating by the seat of their pants and don't know what the heck they're doing. Very concerning.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
NY Times has published the video below that appears to show a missile hit the Ukrainian aircraft.

Here is the story that goes with the video...

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That is going to be bad for Iran if they really did shoot a Civilian Aircraft from the sky
Well Russia did it and nothing happened to them. We shall see.

Evan

Reaction score
NY Times has published the video below that appears to show a missile hit the Ukrainian aircraft.

Here is the story that goes with the video...

Bellingcat has independently performed an analysis on the same video. It's pretty clear at this point that it was a SAM strike that caused the plane to crash. The evidence is overwhelming. Now, the question becomes, does Iran admit guilt in light of the overwhelming evidence?

Of note, Iran is promising more retaliation as a response to the strike on Soleimani. A little surprising considering how Iran always likes to preserve plausible deniability, but I am still confident any attack will be one of terror or clandestine and not a conventional military type of attack.

Evan

Reaction score
BTW, I think everyone is quite aware of my opinion of Trump and my feelings about him in general. With that in mind, I find it unhinged and completely absurd that people are attempting to blame Trump for the Ukrainian plane being shot down. Just absolutely ridiculous. Several Democratic politicians have also implied this or stated it explicitly.

All the Democrats had to do was not act crazy and they could've won 2020. I'll never vote for Trump, but I think the Democrats have damaged their standing in the upcoming election over the past few months. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Rep Matt Gretzky have an amazing speech on why he was voting for the House resolution against the President taking any additional action with Iran without consulting Congress.

Well done sir. I don’t think that statement could have been made anymore clearer.

Evan

Reaction score
BTW, I think everyone is quite aware of my opinion of Trump and my feelings about him in general. With that in mind, I find it unhinged and completely absurd that people are attempting to blame Trump for the Ukrainian plane being shot down. Just absolutely ridiculous. Several Democratic politicians have also implied this or stated it explicitly.

All the Democrats had to do was not act crazy and they could've won 2020. I'll never vote for Trump, but I think the Democrats have damaged their standing in the upcoming election over the past few months. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

If this is even remotely true then Trump has just handed the Democrats an amazing lifeline.

He simply cannot keep his mouth shut. He says the quiet part out loud. Trump finally did something his critics were willing to back him on and give him credit for, but he couldn't just savor the victory. He had to go all Leroy Jenkins and blow himself up like a suicide bomber.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Trump supporter listing all of Trump's accomplishments that is the basis for his support of the POTUS

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
He can do good things for this country despite he’s immoral but could he please just stfu!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logo 468x120
Back