• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

2020 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangstonc

Reaction score
The Iran nuclear deal was horrible.

Giving pallets of cash($150 billion) to one of the leading state sponsors of terrorism was doubly insane. Why would an American president do that. I can only think of one reason.

I agree the Iran deal wasn’t good, but it’s definitely a stretch to call it anti-American.
You need to read up on that 150 billion thing. It’s been debunked a thousand times.

Reaction score
I agree the Iran deal wasn’t good, but it’s definitely a stretch to call it anti-American.
You need to read up on that 150 billion thing. It’s been debunked a thousand times.

so how much was it? And debunked by whom? CNN? MSNBC? NYT? WAPO? Obama did give them billions in cash. Stupid!

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
so how much was it? And debunked by whom? CNN? MSNBC? NYT? WAPO? Obama did give them billions in cash. Stupid!
Exactly what are you referring to as stupid? The other member or the situation with Obama and Iran?

Also, the time has come to archive the original political thread. Going forward we will limit the thread duration to one year for ease of searching and finding content.

May this thread languish in the obscurity it so richly deserves.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Exactly what are you referring to as stupid? The other member or the situation with Obama and Iran?

Also, the time has come to archive the original political thread. Going forward we will limit the thread duration to one year for ease of searching and finding content.

Giving Iran, a terrorist state which oppresses its people billions of dollars. Also, entering into a deal which guarantees Iran a nuclear weapon. That’s not dumb, that’s stupid!

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Giving Iran, a terrorist state which oppresses its people billions of dollars. Also, entering into a deal which guarantees Iran a nuclear weapon. That’s not dumb, that’s stupid!
Roger that. Just wanted to make sure you weren't referring to the other member as stupid. Thanks for clearing that up.

maroonedinhsv

Reaction score
It has been a solid month and a half since we had this “150 billion” discussion on here. Is there an over/under on the amount of time before it comes up again?

Evan

Reaction score

Can't believe we're doing this again, but here goes.

Shah of Iran had made a deal to purchase US military equipment. As part of that deal, he deposited $400 million from the government of Iran into a quasi trust fund/military bank account for foreign military sales.

Shah was overthrown. We didn't want to sell the lunatics who replaced him any of the equipment. But, because of events at the time (Embassy in Teheran, etc) we didn't refund their money. We held onto it.

Decades go by. Victims of Iran's terror apparatus due Iran and win large sums of money in US and International Courts. A law is passed saying the $400 million can't be returned to Iran until the judgements are paid. As a way to go ahead and compensate victims, since Iran sure as heck didn't recognize the court judgments or pay them, the US treasury basically paid for some/all of the various claims with US taxpayer dollars. The idea was if we ever had peace or some kind of agreement with Iran they reimburse us.

Obama took the 400 million plus interest (1.7 billion) and sent it back to Iran. But it doesn't seem like he adjusted for the millions/billions in judgements that Iran owes the US because of their terrorism. It somewhat murky, but it doesn't appear Obama followed the law when he did that.

There is no $150 billion and never was. Most reasonable explanation I've heard for Obama side-stepping the law related to the military funds and first paying the lawsuits is it assured several hostages/prisoners were released and not doing so would've been an impediment to the whole Iran deal. Although I understand that logic, I completely disagree with it and think Obama was absolutely wrong to pay that money.

But there's no secret deal where Obama sent billions to Iran to explicitly fund terror. It can be argued (and I agree) that Iran owes us a whole lot more for all our soldiers they murdered in Iraq and -- and their terror attacks against Americans abroad -- and sending the money was a bridge too far. That said, they wanted to delay Iran from being able to become a nuclear power. They did that, but at a major cost and with a really weak deal that gave Iran much of what they wanted, and left the West with few real guarantees.

It's yet another bad foreign policy choice by Obama and his admin. At least that's how it appears today.

Kory

Reaction score
Lest we forget another in a series of Obama foreign policy blunders that we’re still reaping the consequences of today. Obama’s red line in Syria. Continued destabilization of a powder keg. Oh, and Assad gassing his own people.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Julian Castro drops out of 2020 Primary race after Q4’19 financial disclosures from opponents begin to release

Adios Julian

gangstonc

Reaction score

Pelosi is looking smarter for holding the articles back. We are slowly gathering more and more information and none of it is exculpatory.

Reaction score
Name three impactful achievements Trump has directly accomplished that a garden variety Republican couldn't have accomplished.

85% of Trump's Presidency is simply Mitch McConnell. Trump is an incredibly impotent leader and wholly ineffectual without McConnell, the RNC, and the GOP Congress doing all his work for him.

Regulation reduction. Bring 600K manufacturing jobs back. Oooh, that magic wand. Trade deal with China, USMCA. Shall I continue?

Reaction score
It shows that Trump knew he was breaking the law (Impoundment Act), people tried to convince him not to do it, and he did it anyway.

I’ll give you credit. You continue to grasp at straws. You bought the Trump Russia collusion story hook, line and sinker for three years! You believe the Steele dossier! You believe just about anything CNN or MSNBC reports. You’re on a roll.’2020 is gonna be your year.

gangstonc

Reaction score
I’ll give you credit. You continue to grasp at straws. You bought the Trump Russia collusion story hook, line and sinker for three years! You believe the Steele dossier! You believe just about anything CNN or MSNBC reports. You’re on a roll.’2020 is gonna be your year.
Good job rereading my last three years of posts. You’ve done a lot of reading here in a short amount of time. Very shocking considering it is obvious you haven’t read much else.

can you explain how he didn’t break the Impoundment Act?

Iranian terrorist killed tonight. This guy has the blood of Americans on his hands. I just hope it was done legally.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure you feel the same about FOX News as you do MSNBC right? Since there's no difference other than the team they swing for. Opinion anchors filling 85%+ of the time slots.
If you had a rational defense then maybe you'd deserve some credit, but you didn't express any such thing. You antagonized his statement by suggesting he's a sucker for misleading media hype from the left.

Next time you could argue that the impoundment cause wasn't breached because the funds were released before the due date (albeit because of the whistleblower complaint came to light) therefore the Impoundment Clause law wasn't actually broken.

That wasn't so hard was it?

Reaction score
From Leland Whaley.

Trump just gave the order to cut the head off the Snake. We killed the top Iranian leader directly responsible for hundreds of American deaths. I guess the plane loads of cash days are over. General Qasem Soleiman head of the Iranian Quds force. He was in Iraq plotting the attacks on the US and we bombed that money maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back