• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan

Reaction score
Honestly, the news of the week to me is the death of Charlie Gard. Absolutely tragic and wholly unnecessary. The governmentor a hospital has zero business determining whether or not someone can leave to get different treatment. It should have never even lasted more than 1 day in court.

Parents should have the absolute right to determine medical treatment options for their children. There is a bit of a gray area when it comes to parents that want to WITHHOLD normal and life-sustaining care like the loons that want their kids to cure cancer with a raw food diet or anti-vaxxer nuts. But, in those cases there is a clear standard of care and neither is anywhere outside the norm. Although Charlie's treatment would've been experimental, it wasn't being performed by a jungle medicine doctor or shaman, and had clear evidence to back it up. It is a slippery slope because of those situations, but the bottom line is that as should ALWAYS err on the side of life.

Rest in peace, baby Charlie. I'm sure he's in heaven, brain healed, and enjoying his new and healed body. God Bless you, Charlie.

ARCC

Reaction score
Honestly, the news of the week to me is the death of Charlie Gard. Absolutely tragic and wholly unnecessary. The governmentor a hospital has zero business determining whether or not someone can leave to get different treatment. It should have never even lasted more than 1 day in court.

Parents should have the absolute right to determine medical treatment options for their children. There is a bit of a gray area when it comes to parents that want to WITHHOLD normal and life-sustaining care like the loons that want their kids to cure cancer with a raw food diet or anti-vaxxer nuts. But, in those cases there is a clear standard of care and neither is anywhere outside the norm. Although Charlie's treatment would've been experimental, it wasn't being performed by a jungle medicine doctor or shaman, and had clear evidence to back it up. It is a slippery slope because of those situations, but the bottom line is that as should ALWAYS err on the side of life.

Rest in peace, baby Charlie. I'm sure he's in heaven, brain healed, and enjoying his new and healed body. God Bless you, Charlie.

I don't even understand the end. If you have decided to pull the plug and let him die, why not let the parents at least let him die at home? Instead they forced them to not only let him die but they forced them to let him die where they chose. The lack of logic in this case from the idiots in the British legal system is astounding.

Absolutely ridiculous case in every stretch of the imagination.

ARCC

Reaction score
I don't disagree at all. But, I think that Trump's declining popularity means the chance is much less.

I absolutely thought that what you said would come to pass, but I saw it happening with a popular Trump that could make a deal and lead the legislative process.

Since Trump has shown absolutely zero ability to work with Congress or shepherd and guide a bill though the House and Senate, I think this is much less likely.

Not ruling it out. The OPPOSITE of a popular Trump and improving Congressional ratings could also lead to this. Let's say Trump is at 20% popularity, Congress is even MORE unpopular, and failed Obamacare stories are making Americans upset and outraged... I could then see the GOP and Trump doing this as a last ditch save seats measure in 2018. But, since it would require Trump, more likely in the lead up to 2020 Presidential election since he isn't going to do something like that unless it is beneficial to him. Trump always thinks of Trump first.

We will see, but you aren't wrong at all.

Agreed. The best time for them to play the card will be right before midterms and as the ACA continues its implosion.

The funniest part is to watch all the Democrats vote against it. The sad part this whole failure to form a ACA replacement over the past years proves single payer is on its way, the question is only when.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Found this interesting, from Reddit:

b6hnitc9jgcz.png

Of important note: The graphic of political orientation skews heavily in favor of liberal. Liberal + very liberal is about 50% of the sampled population. Conservative + very conservative is about 20%. The remaining 30% identify as moderate.

I find it interesting that even though the poll skews liberal, msnbc and cnn are still considered untrustworthy.
My favorites, PBS news hour, NPR and BBC are remarkably well trusted although I consider BBC as being pro-left. It has some opinionated articles although the factual stuff always comes first in their articles and the opinion is easily identified by page breaks.

Matt

Reaction score
You listen to too much talk radio. First, although I agree the Republicans Hage much to answer for because of all their symbolic votes to repeal Obamacare, they were exactly that - - symbolic. Totally different once you have an actual bill. Especially one that the Senate didn't want to become law!

McCain did exactly what he said he would. Maybe McConnell and leadership should've listened? But, I'm actually surprised you don't see the other angle. A lot more were going to vote no because they don't trust the House. To be specific, they don't trust Paul Ryan. Considering how many times you've bashed him as being untrustworthy or a liar, how can you blame McCain for not trusting Ryan?

The idea of a skinny repeal was dumb. The idea of a clean repeal was dumb. The American people were promised repeal and replace, and the President said it would be easy. Not this. They shouldn't just pass any old thing to pass it.

Why no criticism of the President? Look at the numerous promises he made about Healthcare? When people told him he was being naive he strongly pushed back and said they don't know Trump. Where the hell was the President during this whole saga? If we had a President with good character, a decent relationship with Congress, and someone who Congress respected and trusted, we wouldn't be talking about this. We'd have had repeal and replace, it would have been pre-negotiated, and the White House would have been leading the charge.

Do you actually think Obamacare would've passed without Obama leading the charge? No way!!! He led from moment one, and he got it done. Why didn't Trump do that?

Actually Evan I barely listen to talk radio at all. For the past four years I have not been confined to an office with zero radio reception. I may listen a few minutes getting lunch.

The skinny repeal, while bad could have accomplished several things. Ending the individual and employer mandate and cut funding to planned parenthood. Worthwhile goals in my book.

Matt

Reaction score

Evan, can you say "death panels" ? Coming soon to a United States government controlled health care center near you!

Evan

Reaction score

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Kim has no leverage economically or otherwise that I can think of. They threaten "firm action" against the US, what are they gonna do? Spam Twitter?
When I think of Kim I think of a small lone feline stalking Buffalo. The feline thinks it's a tough wolf, but the Buffalo have fought wolves before and won't cower away like a herd of Caribou would. The Buffalo know they're much bigger and stronger. Even when there's several wolves and just one Buffalo, they still stand their ground. What will become of the stalking feline, inferior in every way to the numerous Buffalo surrounding it?

ARCC

Reaction score
Kim has no leverage economically or otherwise that I can think of. They threaten "firm action" against the US, what are they gonna do? Spam Twitter?
When I think of Kim I think of a small lone feline stalking Buffalo. The feline thinks it's a tough wolf, but the Buffalo have fought wolves before and won't cower away like a herd of Caribou would. The Buffalo know they're much bigger and stronger. Even when there's several wolves and just one Buffalo, they still stand their ground. What will become of the stalking feline, inferior in every way to the numerous Buffalo surrounding it?

Disagree. While sure he has very little leverage with his threats, the world has no leverage with its threats to stop his nuclear program.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My opinion has been that McCain quit being a true Republican when he lost the election.....just because he was an amazing former POW and war veteran doesn't mean he hasn't become a thorn in the Republican party side for several years....I still think Obamacare should die but Republicans have to offer many more plausible answers and alternatives before they vote. It's more like a pride quest as in "We killed Obamacare first thing when we were elected into office" rather than, this isn't fair or working for a large percentage of Americans, let's make this better without anyone losing anything healthcare wise.

On the subject of the baby boy, I've friends that lived in the UK and their healthcare is atrocious, sometimes resembling the 1940's in the U.S. Very few private rooms, the ED's resemble nothing to our country. It's a dirty little secret that you don't hear about till something like what happened to Charlie Gard....it's pathetic there!!

KoD, your analogy of Kim reminds me of Obama and his statement about a JV team....don't underestimate your enemy!!

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
It's true that we can't do much else to curb their nuclear program (that I can think of) and we shouldn't underestimate them, but I'm much more concerned for our allies in the region than mainland US when it comes to nuclear strikes. We've been perfecting defense missiles for decades and now the military even has lasers (talk about cool) that can obliterate a warhead out of the sky. NK is a big problem no doubt, but there's been a lot of media fear-mongering with sensationalized headlines about icbms reaching US. They'd have to do a lot more than an ICBM or even several at once to make it here.
Keep pressure on NK, but I don't think they have anyone "by the nuts" except for their own people.

ARCC

Reaction score
It's true that we can't do much else to curb their nuclear program (that I can think of) and we shouldn't underestimate them, but I'm much more concerned for our allies in the region than mainland US when it comes to nuclear strikes. We've been perfecting defense missiles for decades and now the military even has lasers (talk about cool) that can obliterate a warhead out of the sky. NK is a big problem no doubt, but there's been a lot of media fear-mongering with sensationalized headlines about icbms reaching US. They'd have to do a lot more than an ICBM or even several at once to make it here.
Keep pressure on NK, but I don't think they have anyone "by the nuts" except for their own people.

I agree there about the US strike, but when I said they had the world by the nuts I meant more in situation due to the fact no one can really stop them, not that their ICBMs are holding the world hostage. Kim knows that the likelihood of a strike or strangling Chinese sanctions are low because none of the nations want to deal with the consequences.

No the worst part about a Nuclear state North Korea is hawking their bombs on the market for cash.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that's a more frightening thought.

Evan

Reaction score
Yeah, it's normal to be CONSTANTLY replacing your top staffers/officials in a Presidential Administration. What an absolute farce. The buck stops with Trump. He promised to hire the best, yet in his mind all these people just weren't good enough -- days, weeks, or a few months after he hired them. It's insane. As the WSJ and others have observed, it won't change until Trump realizes that the problem isn't his staff but rather he himself. And we know that's never going to happen. Kelly will be gone by Labor Day.

Reactions: KoD

Derek00

Reaction score
What an embarrassment all of this is. The US government is a reality show at this point. It's absolutely pathetic. It blows my mind that there are people out there who still support this garbage and can justify it/pretend everything is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back