• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

For the love of God...WHY???

It's his business model... see's something he wants, goes and gets it by any means possible ethical or not. Greenland is a territory of Denmark. I guess that doesn't mean anything to Trump. Germany acquired some countries that didn't belong to them either back in the late 30's

Kory

Reaction score
It's his business model... see's something he wants, goes and gets it by any means possible ethical or not. Greenland is a territory of Denmark. I guess that doesn't mean anything to Trump. Germany acquired some countries that didn't belong to them either back in the late 30's
And Thomas Jefferson bought the Louisiana territory in the early 1800s. There’s a long history of countries buying territories. Not sure why the subtle Nazi jab was necessary.

JayF

Technical Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Technical Admin
Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KB4JCS
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">About an hour ago, the WH press secretary Stephanie Grisham put out a statement, saying: “The Israeli government can do what it wants,&quot; adding that reports that Trump urged Netanyahu to barr Omar and Tlaib are “inaccurate” <a href="https://t.co/ybJEQbmfYB">https://t.co/ybJEQbmfYB</a></p>&mdash; Manu Raju (@mkraju) <a href="">August 15, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lies Lies Lies

I guess the statement is in the eye of the beholder. I can see it both ways. While he didn't out right urge Israel to block Omar and Tlaib, he did suggest that Israel would be weak if they did let them in. Some opponents of Trump may say this was coercion and those who support trump may say that he isn't incorrect in his statement. The great thing about the United States, We get to decide our own opinions about it.

Evan

Reaction score
I guess the statement is in the eye of the beholder. I can see it both ways. While he didn't out right urge Israel to block Omar and Tlaib, he did suggest that Israel would be weak if they did let them in. Some opponents of Trump may say this was coercion and those who support trump may say that he isn't incorrect in his statement. The great thing about the United States, We get to decide our own opinions about it.

Tlaib and Omar make it really difficult even for neutral or non-partisans to support their right to travel because they're so inflammatory and have to politicize everything. The fact that Tlaib would rather score political points than visit her own grandmother is truly disgusting. They remind me of someone...

That said, Israel made a mistake in blocking Tlaib and Omar. It makes Netanyahu look like a puppet of Trump. It also makes Israel look less committed to freedom and democracy even though they're just about the only example of that in the Middle East. I think Israel looks much weaker caving to Trump's Twitter demands than they would've letting a couple of members of Congress in who would then embarrass themselves. But, as you said, reasonable people can disagree about that.

What I find amusing is how similar the Squad's behavior is to that of Trump's and vice-versa. I find it amusing that people can defend the Squad's trolling and constant drama, but then freak out when Trump does the same. By the same token, it is outrageously hilarious to see Trump supporters get enraged about the Squad's embrace or usage of Trump style rhetoric and politics, social media trolling, or their flair for drama and theatrics.

I think normal people are sitting back and wondering how neither side is capable of seeing their own hypocrisy.

Matt

Reaction score

Have we launched a Blitzkrieg against Greenland ? Hell, you never know unless you ask!

Matt

Reaction score
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...rumps-approval-to-51-up-with-blacks-hispanics

“Race also played a factor in Trump's job approval rating. Hispanics, this time around, were much more likely to approve of his job performance (49% approve/51% disapprove), while the president also saw his numbers jump with African Americans. This was his second straight poll with over a quarter support from African Americans (28% approve/70% disapprove). If Trump wins half of Hispanics and a quarter of African Americans in 2020, Democrats will be in trouble!”

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...rumps-approval-to-51-up-with-blacks-hispanics

“Race also played a factor in Trump's job approval rating. Hispanics, this time around, were much more likely to approve of his job performance (49% approve/51% disapprove), while the president also saw his numbers jump with African Americans. This was his second straight poll with over a quarter support from African Americans (28% approve/70% disapprove). If Trump wins half of Hispanics and a quarter of African Americans in 2020, Democrats will be in trouble!”

I'll take a Zogby internet poll with a grain of salt

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I'll take a Zogby internet poll with a grain of salt
This Harris poll from 3 weeks ago tells a different story
"President Trump’s approval rating has dropped among minority voters after he told four Democratic lawmakers, all women of color, to "go back" to where they came from, according to a Hill-HarrisX poll released on Wednesday.

The survey, which was conducted from July 20-21, finds that 23 percent of Hispanic voters approve of Trump’s job performance, a 16-point decrease from a previous poll conducted between July 8 and 9.

The poll indicates that Trump’s approval is down to 13 percent among African American voters, marking a 5-point drop from two weeks ago. Trump’s approval rating has also dipped 3 points among Asian American voters, now standing at 57 percent.

HarrisX researchers surveyed 1,003 registered voters. The poll has an overall margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points."

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the Mooch is predicting Trump will bow out of the election... I'm not buying that, but he does know Trump better than I do

Evan

Reaction score
There’s good people in Antifa.

Possibly. But, I don't see a huge difference in goodness between Antifa and the Proud Boys/similar RW groups. Statistical probability alone suggests there's likely a few somewhat decent people associated with each group.

The idea that Antifa is some kind of organized domestic terror group is laughable and divorced from reality. That said, I'd disagree with anyone trying to claim any of these groups are good for this country. There's a hardcore contingent in each of these groups that are violent, thuggish, and willing to commit political violence at the drop of a hat. What I can't accurately assess is how big that hardcore contingent is in each group. Nonetheless, both groups crave confrontation and political violence, and are long past the "let's have a discussion and debate" stage of political discourse.

I see the formation of these groups and their frequent "protests" to be nothing more than a hope that one side or the other can bait their enemies into unhinged violent behavior. It's incredibly toxic for our society and I think most "good people" avoid associating with Antifa or Proud Boys style RW groups.

Not sure if you were being sarcastic?

Kory

Reaction score
Former Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco, first and only female to hold the position, and governor during Hurricane Katrina, has passed away. She came from humble beginnings. Was a stay at home mom of 6. Began her political career working for the census when the family hit hard times.

Dealt a bad hand during a catastrophic and unprecedented disaster, she was painted an inept and indecisive. It was a systemic failure, not just her.

During her first 20 months as governor, Blanco was a popular, can-do governor who was pro-business, pro-life, pro-guns and focused on improving the state’s education system. She seemed likely to cruise to re-election.

But Katrina’s arrival on Aug. 29, 2005 changed everything. The federal levees failed catastrophically and water swallowed up low-lying neighborhoods. The city and the state seemed woefully unprepared.

On early-morning television shows, operating on little sleep, Blanco looked haggard and overwhelmed in the immediate aftermath of what was by some measures the worst natural disaster in U.S. history. TV images captured bedraggled people stranded on Interstate 10 and others suffering in the Louisiana Superdome, which lost part of its roof, ran out of food, saw its bathrooms fail and had no air conditioning in sweltering humidity.
Government looked incompetent, and Blanco suffered much of the blame.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_r...f8-5ba5-11e9-b5ce-07da7722d523.html?234234324

gangstonc

Reaction score
Possibly. But, I don't see a huge difference in goodness between Antifa and the Proud Boys/similar RW groups. Statistical probability alone suggests there's likely a few somewhat decent people associated with each group.

The idea that Antifa is some kind of organized domestic terror group is laughable and divorced from reality. That said, I'd disagree with anyone trying to claim any of these groups are good for this country. There's a hardcore contingent in each of these groups that are violent, thuggish, and willing to commit political violence at the drop of a hat. What I can't accurately assess is how big that hardcore contingent is in each group. Nonetheless, both groups crave confrontation and political violence, and are long past the "let's have a discussion and debate" stage of political discourse.

I see the formation of these groups and their frequent "protests" to be nothing more than a hope that one side or the other can bait their enemies into unhinged violent behavior. It's incredibly toxic for our society and I think most "good people" avoid associating with Antifa or Proud Boys style RW groups.

Not sure if you were being sarcastic?
I was being sarcastic. Referencing Trump’s “very fine people” remark about Charlottesville.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back