• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kory

Reaction score
I find it interesting that the trump administration is painting this shooting as one against religion, and not one against Jewish people.
He didn't address the Sutherland Springs Church shooting as anti-Christian, either, despite the shooters atheist background and increasingly anti-Christian rhetoric.

I firmly believe all Judeo-Christian religions and values are under attack.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
C'mon man. You know good and damn well had a Republican said that in the same or any setting it would be front page news and the faux outrage would be in overdrive. And when people wonder why we have this idiot in the White House now, this is why. People are tired of the hypocrisy.

I'm not outraged, just making a point.
You didn't have any context when you posted that video.
Yes of course, the president is on the front page of MSNBC & CNN all the time for saying racist, sexist and idiotic things.
And I see this story about Hillary on the front page of Fox News politics.
I'm not denying that there's prejudice and hypocrisy.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Why don't you look at the intent of the author of the amendment.
To ensure former slaves have the liberties granted from the bill of rights.
Doesn't really change anything though, the clause is written in a fairly concrete manner. If you are born here, you are a citizen. Trump doesn't get to change that and reflecting on the slave rationale doesn't modify the amendment. If the author wanted it to only apply to slaves or blacks, they would've specified that in the clause. My own opinion is that they wrote it how they did because they lived at a time when the country was still fairly new and existed because of immigration - and likely most of them were grandchildren or great grandchildren of immigrants.
I also think that just because we're an established country and doing well for ourselves doesn't mean we need to be vehemently anti-immigration. We don't need open borders and we should continue to scrutinize foreigners thoroughly, but the system needs revamping and there's extremist who are outrageously opposed to immigration that need to take it down a notch. Some of the best contributors to our country and it's innovation and technology were from immigrants.
Wernher Von Braun, Albert Einstein, Andrew Carnegie, Nikola Tesla, Sergey Brin (Google), Steve Chen & Jawed Karim (YouTube), even Ayn Rand and Rupert Murdoch immigrated here.
Just think what we could be missing out on, or how things could've been, had the United States favored a more anti-immigration stance.

On that note and in conclusion it's good that we have people who have reservations about immigrants because without them, we may be too lenient on who gets in. And it's good that we have people who are open to immigrants because they have made major contributions to our country.

Kory

Reaction score
It is funny how people pick and choose which amendments they will defend as written vs the ones "open for interpretation."

I heard umpteenth times the Founding Fathers' didn't intend for the 2nd amendment to include modern-day weaponry. Yet, it seems pretty concrete and straightforward with little to no room for interpretation.

gangstonc

Reaction score
It is funny how people pick and choose which amendments they will defend as written vs the ones "open for interpretation."

I heard umpteenth times the Founding Fathers' didn't intend for the 2nd amendment to include modern-day weaponry. Yet, it seems pretty concrete and straightforward with little to no room for interpretation.
It's also funny how people who say we should defend the constitution exactly how it is written, are quick to say you can overrule it with an EO. It goes both ways. People are biased.

Kory

Reaction score
It's also funny how people who say we should defend the constitution exactly how it is written, are quick to say you can overrule it with an EO. It goes both ways. People are biased.
Bingo. Don't like it, introduce an amendment. It is difficult to actually do that, as it should be, so it is easier to write executive orders and let the Supreme Court take it on.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score

Indeed. The 2nd amendment is straight forward, albeit the nomenclature is not something you'd hear much today. Regarding the 2nd and 14th, the debate shouldn't be what the amendment means, it should be how it impacts people today with the change in technology, transportation, communication etc... Anyone suggesting those two amendments are open to interpretation are wrong in my opinion. Of course it gets complicated when you throw in mental health & felonies - neither of which change the understanding of the original doctrine though.

Kory

Reaction score
APemixb.jpg

gangstonc

Reaction score
That's irrelevant. It's the seriousness of the charge that we have to take into account.

The entire story with Wohl is very relevant.

But the FBI should investigate and handle it. That’s why it was appropriate for all the info to be turned over as Mueller did. Just like they did with Kavanaugh.

Matt

Reaction score
The entire story with Wohl is very relevant.

But the FBI should investigate and handle it. That’s why it was appropriate for all the info to be turned over as Mueller did. Just like they did with Kavanaugh.

We need a committee hearing. We cannot have a potential rapist as the special counsel investigating the president.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logo 468x120
Back