• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Archive 2017-2019 Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Can you imagine if Ginsberg croaks and the conservative lean goes 6/3? Heads would literally explode and to be honest, despite myself being very conservative the thought of it makes me a little unsettled myself.
I've been reading left/hard left go full on drama bomb, dropping doomsday speeches all day. They would go apocalyptic if that happened.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Can you imagine if Ginsberg croaks and the conservative lean goes 6/3? Heads would literally explode and to be honest, despite myself being very conservative the thought of it makes me a little unsettled myself.
I definitely prefer the mix to be 5/4, with one of the 5 being very moderate.

However, I generally don’t really care about the Supreme Court because I trust their knowledge. I can’t pretend to be able to argue with them on the law.

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score
The defeat of the immigration bill proves there are many Republicans that are open border globalists that are beholden to the Chamber Of Commerce, The Business Round table and the Koch Brothers. Was Gorsuch not a solid pick ?

I think it is too early to tell for sure. So far he's done pretty well, but we need at least another term to know for sure. I want Conservative jurists that believe strongly in all Constitutional rights. Thomas and others have been very flakey on searches, privacy, and certain areas of due process. My ideal jurist is a Conservative that wants to overturn Roe, but has a Libertarian small government philosophy on trade, searches, civil asset forfeiture, regulations, due process, etc. Basically I want someone Libertarian enough to want to protect all rights, but not so Libertarian that they believe in Roe.

I haven't seen enough Gorsuch to say which way he's headed for sure. He should've joined Roberts in Carpenter. He wanted a broader reading based more on property rights than expectation of privacy. His dissent read more like a concurrence to be honest. Very close to a position Scalia would've staked out. I was hoping for someone Scalia like but with a bit less demand for Originalist views on things like technology. He's closer than Scalia was, so right now I have no reason to complain.

Trump had very little to do with Gorsuch as you well know. McConnell made that seat stay open, and Conservatives forced Trump to agree to pick from a list.

My top priority is to overturn Roe. But I don't want to trade that for an illiberal court that shrinks my freedom and rights in other areas. Stay away from the Thomases and get someone more like Scalia mixed with a touch of Roberts.

Kory

Reaction score
This is exactly what I said months ago. I have a feeling we're gonna get nothing concrete.

For those hoping the conclusion of the Russia probe will finally help put the controversial 2016 election behind us, prepare to be disappointed.

However, based on what we know to date, the most likely outcome will be something frustratingly in between. Back in 2016, Republicans hoped that Hillary Clinton would be taken down by the FBI’s investigation into her email server. Trump’s critics should not make the same mistake. It is certainly possible that Mueller is sitting on blockbuster evidence that will lead to the end of this administration. However, based on what we know so far that is not likely. Do not hold out hope for a legal solution to the Russia matter. This is a political issue that will require a political resolution the hard way — at the ballot box.
http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciar...ppointed-with-russia-investigation-conclusion

Kory

Reaction score
I've been reading left/hard left go full on drama bomb, dropping doomsday speeches all day. They would go apocalyptic if that happened.
PIQa4xN.jpg

It's already happening. These mass genocidal comparisons are getting frickin' old and, frankly, it's an insult to the millions of survivors that actually had to face the evil that was Nazi Germany. Poor little baby didn't get his way in the 2016 election, he's now gonna act like he's living in a country comparable to the oppression seen in one of the worst mass murders in history. Immature children act like this because they have such a narrow worldview. These people need to grow the frick up.

Kory

Reaction score

Liberals are upset they might not be able to legally separate children from their mothers anymore...in multiple pieces...and thrown out into a dumpster.

gangstonc

Reaction score
Trump's IRS chief nominee facing Senate Finance Cmte confirmation hearing today disclosed owning between $1 million &; $5,000,000 real estate in Trump branded property in Hawaii & donated money to the Trump campaign in 2017, after the presidential election https://t.co/i4yun9cmYV

Textbook pay for play.

Jacob

Reaction score
Trump's IRS chief nominee facing Senate Finance Cmte confirmation hearing today disclosed owning between $1 million &; $5,000,000 real estate in Trump branded property in Hawaii & donated money to the Trump campaign in 2017, after the presidential election https://t.co/i4yun9cmYV

Textbook pay for play.

Yeah, the article makes it sound a little different than your summation.

Jacob

Reaction score

"Textbook pay for play". He basically owns two rentals in Hawaii at a Trump-branded resort that he's rented out for a decade now, which makes it irrelevant to your pay for play point.

It doesn't disclose the amount of donations or when in 2017 they occurred. It also mentions he's donated to multiple democrats, as well as both Romney and Obama in 2012.

Is it possible that there is some pay for play involved? It's politics, so sure there is, but there's no proof or even a push in that direction from the information in that article.

Evan

Reaction score
I largely agree with Jacob. I think the post-election donation could be an issue, but we lack any relevant details. I'm not willing to say there's zero issue here, but details about the donation would clarify. The Hawaiian properties seem absolutely irrelevant.

gangstonc

Reaction score
I largely agree with Jacob. I think the post-election donation could be an issue, but we lack any relevant details. I'm not willing to say there's zero issue here, but details about the donation would clarify. The Hawaiian properties seem absolutely irrelevant.
When you combine it with the rest of the rampant cronyism and nepotism in his staff, I have trouble giving him any benefit of doubt.

Evan

Reaction score
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics...p/story?id=56232847&__twitter_impression=true

There's no good or reasonable explanation for this. If Trump is innocent, it is amazing how there is always plenty of smoke behind every door. At some point thinking it is just another coincidence requires a voluntary lobotomy.

During Trump's entire career he has bribed people, colluded, scammed, grifted, cheated, lied, manipulated, etc. To believe that he suddenly stopped doing all of that because of the election requires willful ignorance.

Again, I've always doubted a smoking gun is going to appear that would tie Trump and Putin together in a scheme to influence the election. But Mueller doesn't need a smoking gun and neither do Congress. People harbor misconceptions because of TV and movies. Circumstantial evidence is used by itself in a majority of criminal convictions. In other words, a majority of criminal convictions have ZERO direct evidence - - just circumstantial.

I don't believe a President has or should have any special protections from criminal law or proceedings. But, because of his office, I do believe any indictment or charge has to wait until he's no longer in office - - whether by term limit, electoral defeat, resignation, or impeachment.

I do believe that President Trump is going to finish out his term and potentially be re-elected regardless of what Mueller's probe uncovers. Republicans don't really care if Trump is a criminal or conspired with the Russians. As long as he delivers the SCOTUS seats, tax cuts, and does what McConnell wants on very important issues, he will walk.

What made America unique compared to so many other countries is that the American people, as a whole, have never been very tolerant of political corruption, self-dealing, and abuse of power. That has dramatically changed over the past 30 years, and it isn't unique to Republicans. It just happens to be that the Republican Party is facing a direct confrontation right now with this very issues, and most of its members are willing to look the other way for political gain. Just like how it is done in Nigeria, Russia, Italy, etc. Americans now have to grapple with the fact that Brazil is more wiling to hold their leaders to account than we are.

I'm thrilled to get another SCOTUS justice and have a real shot at overturning Roe. But, is it worth the decline/destruction of our system and our institutions? What kind of country will I be leaving for my young children? It is the exact question that confronted voters in 2016.

ghost

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't heard yet of the motive of the shooter that murdered the people working at the newspaper in Maryland, but when the POTUS continually calls the press an enemy of America it is terribly irresponsible and could send someone already on the edge mentally to go out do what they think is their "patriotic duty" to the president and his country.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I haven't heard yet of the motive of the shooter that murdered the people working at the newspaper in Maryland, but when the POTUS continually calls the press an enemy of America it is terribly irresponsible and could send someone already on the edge mentally to go out do what they think is their "patriotic duty" to the president and his country.

The shooter lost a defamation lawsuit against the newspaper a few years ago and has held a vendetta ever since.

The same left wing that was quick to try and pin this on Trump are the same ones who ignored Obama turning the public against the police for eight years, and that did result in deaths.

Kory

Reaction score
The shooter lost a defamation lawsuit against the newspaper a few years ago and has held a vendetta ever since.

The same left wing that was quick to try and pin this on Trump are the same ones who ignored Obama turning the public against the police for eight years, and that did result in deaths.
The way the left has conducted themselves with the Kennedy retirement and now this today, they have gone off the deep end. Trump seems to have broken them mentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back