Severe Weather Threat - January 8th-9th, 2024

buckeye05

Reaction score
Damage from the Santa Rosa Beach/Freeport, FL tornado
GDacNa7WgAApRD_

Clancy

Reaction score
PCB damage is pretty nasty. A close family friend has lots of relatives in the area, trying to get in touch with them to see if everyone is alright.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Using Google Maps, I can confirm that a small home in Panama City Beach was completely destroyed. It was located at 4001 Treasure Circle, behind the apartment building that lost its top floor.
PNC2023Housebefore.png
PNC2023Houseafter.png

There was also another nearby apartment building that lost its roof and multiple walls.
PNC2023Apartment.png

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I seem to recall that in the previous D1 outlook the SPC mentioned the risk of discrete, oceanic supercells making landfall in the Outer Banks region today. It’s no longer mentioned in the latest outlook, but I presume the threat is still there.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

buckeye05

Reaction score
I seem to recall that in the previous D1 outlook the SPC mentioned the risk of discrete, oceanic supercells making landfall in the Outer Banks region today. It’s no longer mentioned in the latest outlook, but I presume the threat is still there.
I was just about to bring this up. WFO's in the Carolinas are all saying it will be contingent on sufficient destabilization. Given this system's crazy kinematics, I think we'll see some more tornadoes today, but there seems to be somewhat of a decrease in confidence when it comes to the likelihood of discrete cells. FWIW, the CAMs still have plenty of UH streaks across the region though, but that might be from the line.

Wind Driven Coconut

Reaction score
Also given hurricane codes, some areas of damage in Panama City Beach may be rated higher than we expect in comparison to the visual severity of the damage.

This is an interesting point. Significant tornadoes are rare in Florida. I wonder if the hurricane codes end up reflecting a higher quality of ACTUAL construction than we keep tending to see in recent events (meaning is the construction on par with what the codes require).

Back