• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat Jan 12th, 2023

Reaction score
Something that I always pay close attention to with these winter setups is early morning convection and cloud cover. Seen so many of these setups get killed by not having enough dry air aloft and not enough clearing. Since the days are shorter than in the Spring, you have a much shorter window for diurnal heating and development of an elevated mixed layer. The timing literally has to be perfect.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Something that I always pay close attention to with these winter setups is early morning convection and cloud cover. Seen so many of these setups get killed by not having enough dry air aloft and not enough clearing. Since the days are shorter than in the Spring, you have a much shorter window for diurnal heating and development of an elevated mixed layer. The timing literally has to be perfect.
Most of winter time severe events are nocturnal anyways …

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I think the dry air aloft forecasted is perfect for this winter time event like this, too much and it'll cause storms to not mature properly.

If you have a lot of dry air you'll need a lot of instability and steep lapse rates. The amount of dry air and cap we have in place Thursday is perfect for concise discreet convection along with the westerlies, directional sheer is on point.

It's all gotta mesh well or one thing will overpower the other.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Lol 00z GFS went all linear lol it broadened the low pressure system 850mb to the surface. Made winds almost completely southwesterly from the surface to 850mb.

00z GFS might be on some drugs. I'll toss lol

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Can't remember if it's the 00z GFS that usually is wonky. I've been told some model runs are not too reliable lol

Clancy

Reaction score
D 4-8 mentions severe threat around the 12th, but confidence too low to introduce area for now.
Day 4-8 Convective Outlook
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
0300 AM CST Sat Jan 07 2023

Valid 101200Z - 151200Z

...DISCUSSION...
An upper trough should progress quickly eastward across the
Southwest and southern Plains/Rockies from Day 4/Tuesday into Day
5/Wednesday, eventually evolving into a closed upper low by
Wednesday night. Low-level moisture will attempt to return northward
over parts of the southern Plains into the lower MS Valley and
Southeast ahead of this feature. However, prior frontal passages and
surface ridging over the central Gulf Coast region will likely slow
the inland advance of substantial low-level moisture, and act to
hinder destabilization.

Still, strong forcing for ascent should support convective
development Wednesday night into Day 6/Thursday from portions of
central/east TX/OK into the lower MS Valley and Mid-South as the
upper trough/low continues eastward. With ample deep-layer shear
forecast, some of these thunderstorms could be strong to severe. The
main limiting factor for a more substantial threat for organized
severe thunderstorms is weak forecast instability, which is
correlated to the incomplete low-level moisture return. Regardless,
trends in deterministic and ensemble guidance will be monitored for
possible future inclusion of a 15% delineation across parts of these
regions from late Wednesday through Day 7/Friday. But, at this point
the overall severe threat appears too isolated/marginal to introduce
any areas.

..Gleason.. 01/07/2023

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Timing has sped up on both euro and GFS, same general consensus on discreet convection but les veering of winds with height from the surface up, indicates lesser of a tornado threat , kindve suspicious of this I'm going to look at another event I think it was Easter 2020 with a broader low as the GFS and euro are starting to forecast and see what happens with that one

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
You'd rather have the surface low in about Arkansas instead of it directly north of your location for better veering, if the system slows down and allows the shortwave to round the base more you'll be back on track with previous thinking of yesterday morning and afternoon. Just as easily could change back thankfully we have the Nam starting to come in range that'll help give more clarity to wether models are flip flopping or not.

Last edited:

Clancy

Reaction score
This morning's AFDs from BMX, JAN and FFC indicate some broad model agreement but highlight significant uncertainty about wind profiles, moisture return and timing. Also, CIPS analog-based probabilities still showing a highlighted corridor for the 12th. Below are analogs for this time frame pulled from Central Alabama.
1673194683991.png

Attachments

• 1673194581640.png
    1673194581640.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1673194605001.png
    1673194605001.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1673194614270.png
    1673194614270.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 0

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
12Z GFS Is back on board with it's volatile setup, delay the shortwave about 6 hours and you'll be peak heating.