• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 4/27-4/28, 2024 - (Saturday, Sunday)

Maxis_s

Reaction score
FYI, for future reference, political posts belong on the politics thread. No matter which side you're on. I happen to agree with one of these stances, but you won't know which one, because this thread is FOR WEATHER. And no, I'm not calling out anyone, I'm talking to everyone.
"I just wanna talk about weather, for God's sake!"
1714485071337.png

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Me waking up to check TalkWeather this morning be like
973819-angela-feat.jpg

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
OUN did said this morning that they still investigating Ardmore, although they gave it a EF-2 rating.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
OUN did said this morning that they still investigating Ardmore, although they gave it a EF-2 rating.
I’m kind of surprised by how little attention/coverage that got considering that it’s one of the larger towns in the affected area but I guess it was because the damage there just wasn’t as bad as Sulphur, Marietta, etc?

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The word "tornado" is an altered form of the Spanish word tronada which means "thunderstorm"

say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat:cool:
Shooting Star GIF

Think I just dated myself with this one!

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The word "tornado" is an altered form of the Spanish word tronada which means "thunderstorm"

say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat:cool:
Huh, I always thought it came from “tornar” (to turn). My two years of high school Spanish almost 20 years ago have not served me well.

JBishopwx

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I’m kind of surprised by how little attention/coverage that got considering that it’s one of the larger towns in the affected area but I guess it was because the damage there just wasn’t as bad as Sulphur, Marietta, etc?
The chaser from my group said that from the road, it was mainly tree damage, but he didn't go too far around Ardmore to check Sunday morning

Reaction score
Yeah… we already have that resident guy who insists major tornado outbreaks are a thing of the past according to his arbitrary criteria
And we all know who that is...even though some of the points he makes about post-2013 outbreak trends have been made many times more by other, very respectable people here (whom I respect as well), but if it comes from “that resident guy,” some snide remarks are always in order.

It’s still a Hell of a lot better than sickos who spread unfounded rumours amid a natural disaster (about towns being “wiped out,” mass casualties, etc.) or the many people out there (not necessarily on this forum) who, I am sorry to say, all too often seem to want more and bigger natural catastrophes for ulterior motives.

Or the whole “climate-change” industry that likes to falsely claim that we’re seeing more/bigger/worse severe weather events, even though in many cases we’re seeing the opposite, like the absence of clear-cut EF5s since Chapman at least, EF4+ tornado droughts in OKC and N AL, lacklustre ‘cane seasons since 2012 for the most part (2017/’20 aside), etc.

Carry on...

Reaction score
Anyway, I’ve noticed that a lot of the extreme radar signatures from this event have not been backed up by extreme DIs in many cases. Even in rural areas we should have been seeing higher-end DIs in line with the radar data. I don’t have any problem with the official ratings, and I think that, aside from Marietta, there really isn’t a lot of strong evidence to support EF4+, especially compared to a lot of other events in the recent past that were rated EF3. Had I just looked at radar I would have expected at least three or four EF4+ that could be corroborated even by non-structural DIs, but so far, that does not seem to have been the case for the most part.

Reaction score
And we all know who that is...even though some of the points he makes about post-2013 outbreak trends have been made many times more by other, very respectable people here (whom I respect as well), but if it comes from “that resident guy,” some snide remarks are always in order.

It’s still a Hell of a lot better than sickos who spread unfounded rumours amid a natural disaster (about towns being “wiped out,” mass casualties, etc.) or the many people out there (not necessarily on this forum) who, I am sorry to say, all too often seem to want more and bigger natural catastrophes for ulterior motives.

Or the whole “climate-change” industry that likes to falsely claim that we’re seeing more/bigger/worse severe weather events, even though in many cases we’re seeing the opposite, like the absence of clear-cut EF5s since Chapman at least, EF4+ tornado droughts in OKC and N AL, lacklustre ‘cane seasons since 2012 for the most part (2017/’20 aside), etc.

Carry on...
7 out of the last 8 hurricane seasons have been above normal using ACE. We haven’t seen a super season like 2005 but otherwise I don’t understand this.

Reaction score
7 out of the last 8 hurricane seasons have been above normal using ACE. We haven’t seen a super season like 2005 but otherwise I don’t understand this.
Yes, this is my fault. I meant “hyperactive” seasons ACE-wise (> 159.6 units) used to be much more frequent prior to 2012 and especially before 2005. From 1995 to 2010 there were eight hyperactive seasons: 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2010. In the decade and a half since 2010 only 2017 and 2020 have been hyperactive. So during two comparable periods the frequency of hyperactive seasons has been very different. Anyway, I don’t want to go too far OT and quibble about details. This outbreak has been the most intense Plains event in some time but really isn’t comparable to a lot of the events from 2012 and earlier. From that period there were more frequent outbreaks of equal or greater intensity.

Logo 468x120
Back