• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather 2024

Gail

Reaction score
Well this is frightening and makes me sick to my stomach. Preliminary tornado count thus far this year is 103 thru March 7th. There's only one year that is closest to it.....2011 (109)

Yeah......

Again I'm not trying to scare anyone, but I'm just pointing out facts and making you aware that we could be dealing with a much busier April than the last few years.

I also know a lot of people including myself continue to suffer from trauma and PTSD from that event.

Just hope for the best, but prepare for the worse
:(
We picked a good year to get a shelter, I think.

JPWX

Reaction score
Euro with our next severe weather timeframe. Around or just after the 25th.

Attachments

• ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z300_speed-1324800.png
    ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z300_speed-1324800.png
    270 KB · Views: 0
  • ecmwf-ensemble-c00-conus-z500_barbs-1368000.png
    ecmwf-ensemble-c00-conus-z500_barbs-1368000.png
    117 KB · Views: 0
  • ecmwf-ensemble-c00-conus-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-1346400.png
    ecmwf-ensemble-c00-conus-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-1346400.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 0

JPWX

Reaction score
Euro with our next severe weather timeframe. Around or just after the 25th.
Which just happens to be after the one year anniversary of the Amory, MS EF3 and passed near my house just a quarter mile away. Watch it happen during the Mississippi State Severe Storm Symposium. I registered for it last night so something is bound to happen to keep me from going. LOL!

Mrgolfman7070

Reaction score
Which just happens to be after the one year anniversary of the Amory, MS EF3 and passed near my house just a quarter mile away. Watch it happen during the Mississippi State Severe Storm Symposium. I registered for it last night so something is bound to happen to keep me from going. LOL!
The Jonesboro ar ef3 tornado end of March 2020 was live on kait going through the city. Missed my apt by quarter mile

Clancy

Reaction score
GFS been somewhat consistent around this general timeframe though of course it is very far out. Early, early days, but the shape of the trough is quite concerning - GFS 18z was particularly nasty. Luckily plenty of time for things to calm down.
Fully expect significant shifts in the GFS over the coming days, but the 12Z and 18Z had potentially concerning solutions for the South during the 26-28th time frame.

Reaction score
This is a WOW event if it holds. GFS 2nd run with this output of EHI and a possible multi-day event. This is from the 18Z GFS. The GFES isn't bouncing on it quite yet but the Euro is hinting at it at 300mb and 500mb.
View attachment 24384

24 hours prior to that would be a highly potent (think almost exactly one year prior, and my avatar ;)) setup over the Midwest (left exit region of a 60+ kt 500mb jet, nearly 50kt LLJ and 989 mb surface low over Iowa) if only moisture weren't so paltry into the region (dewpoints in the 40s). However at this range I wouldn't put too much stock into it one way or the other. Certainly some interesting solutions showing up across multiple models, though.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This is a WOW event if it holds. GFS 2nd run with this output of EHI and a possible multi-day event. This is from the 18Z GFS. The GFES isn't bouncing on it quite yet but the Euro is hinting at it at 300mb and 500mb.
View attachment 24384
Though still little out , some runs today are showing the most potent look I seen this far this 2024 season