• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Threat - Feb 27-28th, 2024

Reaction score
We had pictures, scraps of paper (receipts), and shingles in our yard. It smelled like we were in the middle of a pine forest clearing outside. I live about a hour north of Louisville in north Lowndes County.

I was in position in Noxubee county to intercept this tornado on April 28, 2014. I was the first to pull up in a open field near Brooksville. A few minutes later Sean Casey pulls up in the TIV and parks next to me. A few more mins goes by and we start getting hit by debris fall. The debris was very granulated pieces of shingles, acorns, leaves, wood, etc.

Haha my laptop decided to crash that day so I was using the old school NWS flash player radar on my iPhone 4 with 3g data. Oh, how times have changed.

Clancy

Reaction score
If things continue to trend as currently modelled, would expect the Midwest and parts of the middle MS basin to have the greatest risk, especially considering the position of the low. CSU probs generally in-line, with local maximums from far east OK into far west IN.
floop-gfs-2024022312.ehi03.conus.gifsevere_fcst_6panel_022312.png

Reaction score
6Z GFS presents the area roughly near Ottawa-Streator, IL as a possible chase target. FH090 00Z sounding shows a stout low-level inversion but it ought not to be as strong during the preceding couple of hours. There's decent streamwise vorticity in the low levels and a solid westerly component to the 500mb flow.

The higher-end scenarios with this setup don't look to be panning out at this point, but the atmosphere keeps trying to tell me it only takes one (storm) in the sweet spot.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
12z Euro is likely a localized significant tornado event across Illinois, particularly in the region between I-70 and I-80. Surface low is in an excellent spot (and supported by the 12z EPS).

atrainguy

Reaction score
Feels weird seeing my area under a possibility for severe weather in the winter, not often that happens. I guess we have had tornadoes (including strong ones) in March though, so maybe late February isn't that crazy.