• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Threat - Feb 27-28th, 2024

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I think Tuesday is going to be the day of highest threat here and probably not the SE, more towards the Midwest. The evolution of the trough beyond Tuesday is questionable and there's likely going to be a lack of moisture, especially for a threat further southeast away from the cold temperatures aloft.

KevinH

Reaction score
Just want some action. BTW, my name is also Kevin lol. It's been a while since we had a high risk verify and imo, the March 31st 2023 event didn't
Be careful what you wish for NAME TWIN lol

I’m in West Central GA on the AL/GA border so I watch MS/AL carefully. I like to call them the “Oklahomas of the (Deep) South” hahahaha

The next 3 months should be…… interesting.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Be careful what you wish for NAME TWIN lol

I’m in West Central GA on the AL/GA border so I watch MS/AL carefully. I like to call them the “Oklahomas of the (Deep) South” hahahaha

The next 3 months should be…… interesting.
The mid south and Dixie is now the new tornado alley. , haven’t you read that ?

JPWX

Reaction score
Everyone fixated on early March system and disregarding next week's storm system.

Next Week's System: Hmp! I'll show y'all!

Couple days before event: OMG! Where did this come from?

All that to say I wouldn't simply disregard the system next week due to model inconsistency.

KevinH

Reaction score
The mid south and Dixie is now the new tornado alley. , haven’t you read that ?
I have read it, I just disagree (for now).

I still think Dixie Alley and Tornado Alley are separate. As far as I know, the definition/name of the “Alleys” is based on geographic location, not the level of tornadic activity, which is what some say their reasoning is for “moving” Tornado Alley further east.

KevinH

Reaction score
Everyone fixated on early March system and disregarding next week's storm system.

Next Week's System: Hmp! I'll show y'all!

Couple days before event: OMG! Where did this come from?

All that to say I wouldn't simply disregard the system next week due to model inconsistency.
Exactly, you would think with ALLLLL of the events that have occurred people would understand to not put all of their ego in one basket so to speak SO soon.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Why is the models having such large discrepancies still lol. Better off using ensembles right now. I'm seeing the only part of Alabama really in play for this event is extreme north Alabama, good luck to the Tennessee valley area and Midwest. Will catch them next time here in Alabama lol

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
From James Spann’s blog

I know SPC is maintaining a risk of severe storms for parts of Alabama in their “Day 6” outlook for Wednesday, but at this point that scenario has no support from new model data with limited upper air support and very little surface based instability.

Spc never changes their outlooks anymore when models change lol

TheSuckZone

Reaction score
Womp womp

severe_ml_day6_gefso_022912.png

JPWX

Reaction score
May I present Exhibit A (6z GFS) and Exhibit B (00z Euro) temperature, dewpoint, and bulk shear.

You're welcome

Attachments

• sfctd-imp.us_se (2).png
    sfctd-imp.us_se (2).png
    336.2 KB · Views: 0
  • bs0500.us_se.png
    bs0500.us_se.png
    586.7 KB · Views: 0
  • sfct-imp.us_se (1).png
    sfct-imp.us_se (1).png
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
  • sfctd-imp.us_se (1).png