• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

January 27th deep south severe wx

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
A day 4 has been pushed out by the guys at SPC for a low cape high shear event as worded in there discussion. Main timeframe looks to be Saturday afternoon.

Screenshot_2024-01-24-04-29-06-93_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

MichelleH

Reaction score
From this morning's AFD from BMX:

A larger area of rain and a few storms is expected on Saturday as a
500mb trough approaches. The intensity of this activity will have to
be monitored as it will move across locations that will have already
racked up a few inches of rain from earlier in the week. The speed
of this system may save us from a renewed and elevated flood threat.
A few runs of models have shown potential for some instability to
develop ahead of the front in the presence of deep-layer shear. If
this were to happen, parameters could support a few strong storms.
This will come down to timing. If the system is fairly progressive,
we won`t have time to realize the instability.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
So far I am thinking the ceiling isn’t very high with this event. More of a typical springtime event…..

….FOR NOW…..
There's some wiggle room for a decent event. Not a high impact one, but I think there's enough wiggleroom for a moderate instability day, still many questions remain answered but you got a shot for some severe in your neck of the woods KevinH

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Nothing outstanding about the parameters for Saturday, but the GFS and NAM show no preceding precipitation ahead of the main bulk of convection, and wind fields are relatively favorable.
Man can these events overperform though, like march 3 2019 and January last year.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Welp, finally something to take my mind off of guns for a few days. Of course my mind is making the waiting period go by at a snails pace...

Not particularly impressed with this setup but the GFS model is forecasting 1000-1500 j/kg of CAPE and 200-250 m2s2 of SRH in southeast Alabama. Seems like bulk shear could be one of the deciding factors here, along with quality of moisture return and other stuff I admit I don't quite understand. I'd say the potential will be there for a cell to sneak up on us and drop a sigtor for no reason.

Reaction score
Also slowed things down a bit.

Looks like 0Z sped things back up a bit, low-level winds are veering along the cold front and low-level hodographs pretty straight by 21Z when instability peaks in Alabama. There's hardly any instability further out in the warm sector where the greater SRH is.

Something could still come together, but it would take some tweaks to the evolution of the setup as currently modeled.

Back