• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Wikipedia is Changing Its Weather Colors - How Do You Feel?

Reaction score
In March 2022 it was brought up that the current Wikipedia storm colors do not meet compatibility (colorblind) standards. The old scale has been thrown out - I believe "Replacement isn't optional at this point. Pandora's box was opened and it can't be sealed." was the exact wording - and you must say goodbye to the colors as you knew them.

Anyway, after deliberations, the old colors have finally been shown the door and a set of new colors has been introduced. You can view them here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Fujita_scale

How do we feel? I personally kind of like the new colors, but just wish EF4 wasn't the old EF5 color.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
My colorvision is relatively poor. I can't see any difference between EF0 and EF1, kind of used to such things though.

Clancy

Reaction score
Accessibility is always a good thing, though care should be taken to maintain continuity (or a semblance of it) with other scales/metrics/figures. Overall it's a good idea.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It is a bit hard to tell the difference between EF0 and EF1, especially at first glance, but I can differentiate.

I'm more concerned with Wikipedia's new desktop layout, which now is basically just a copy of their mobile site...

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
If it helps colorblind people then I think it's a good thing. My dad is colorblind but thankfully I drew the long straw genetically and avoided it.

I'm more concerned with Wikipedia's new desktop layout, which now is basically just a copy of their mobile site...
This I definitely agree with. I'm not sure why they did that. It had been the same for like 15 years on desktop and it worked just fine.

Back